AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-07-26, 11:49am

My name is Debbie and I"m a Tutorial Ho!!
I'm on etsy doing look ups for new tutorials ALL the time. I LOVE tutorials!!
I personally love being able to download and then print it out. I have a little binder thingie and I make my own booklets out of my tutorials and keep them on a bookcase. Well most of them, I admit I haven't gotten around to all of them yet(in case you were thinking how annoyingly organized I will have to find the tutorials again in my craft room aka black hole, a mission impossible sort of thing). I have a setting on my printer that you can adjust your print color, you can go economical where the colors are much more muted or even black and white for people trying to save ink, I prefer all the color I can get.
I don't like dvd's, I want a hard copy I can take with me to the torch. If there are pictures I can pretty much follow along with what you're saying.
Problems I've had with tutorials are... if you're going on vacation say you're going on vacation, it keeps me from wondering where my file is and thinking bad thoughts about you . One tutorial I got was really fantastic, the woman did a wonderful job... but it was on like 70 pages. Now that's a bit extreme, even after I made the pages microscopic with four to a page, it still took a lot of paper. Another problem I had and I have to think maybe it was the file and not me cause as I said I'm a tutorial ho and I've downloaded and printed up a ton of them, is the writing went off the page. I had to do a lot of juggling and figuring, cussing and thinking (ouch) but I think I finally got that one fixed. I understand the limiting of hours the download is good for, but if you say 72 hours make it 72 hours. The last one I got was a knitting one (my name is Debbie and I'm a tutorial ho). It was good for 72 hours or 3 copies. Well I had trouble downloading it and I guess it looked like I'd copied it 3 times cause the link wasn't any good the last time I tried to download it. Had to contact the lady who wasn't very nice about it really, come on, I'm going to get rich on your knitted eyeglass case??? Anyway, I guess she figured out I wasn't trying to scam her cause when I wrote to tell her she could un-activate me she was much nicer.
So those are my meager words of wisdom about tutorials.
By the fact Miss Ann is looking at this thread, I'm hoping that means she's maybe working on some tutorials.... could it be the world will be allowed to see the secrets behind Chintz beads???
I thank EVERYONE who is willing to share your knowledge and experience over the internet with us who are unable to attend a class. I'm so glad Teresa started the idea and everyone else is running with it!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2008-07-26, 2:47pm
Detail G-Mama!

Deb! I'm finished with the tut, just gotta work out a few kinks with the pdf and then I'll be able to put it out there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-26, 3:19pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

Oh! I so thank Teresa!
I also thank everyone that helped me make it and all the hints and help I got!
this a is such a perfect teaching medium! for me at least! Im excited for Anne to finish hers up too!
I thinks its absolutely an awesome thing especially with the economy right now, I couldnt even afford to take a class if I wanted to..and I know Im not alone!
Nor could I travel to teach.
Its such an exciteing concept!
shameless plug I have a new one coming out either tomorrow or monday, I was just sitting here finishing it up, and thought Id check back here for any hints, and suggestions!

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-26, 3:23pm
Mary Lockwood

I agree about that limited download time or frequency thing. The secure download processor I'm using for mine says you have to use the download link within 24 hours and you have up to 2 downloads.

I can't figure out how to turn this off!! I should dig deeper.

These people paid for the information, they should be able to download it whenever they want, however many times they want. I just don't get the whole limit thing at all.

They say it is so people don't share the file..hello..once it is saved to their computer they are going to do whatever they want with it whether I like it or not so I don't really see how limiting the number of downloads or putting a time limit on them is the least bit helpful.

At least not in this case...maybe it makes a difference depending on what you are delivering...like maybe for software this serves some purpose?

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-26, 3:25pm
Cancer SUCKS!

FYI, Helen's Harvest (I think that is her name) has a new flower tutorial out that you can add to the list.

Old 2008-07-26, 5:34pm

OH and might I add, if anyone needs a guinea pig to test their tute I'm ready willing and possibly able!! LOL

So what's coming out next??
Laurie are you going to give us a hint or make us wait???? Will you be posting it here when it's listed??

I think this folder was a wonderful idea, yall are so smot!!!! Now I know exactly where to look!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2008-07-26, 6:24pm
ID10T Problem Solver

I can't wait to get it Laurie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
I have a new one coming out either tomorrow or monday, I was just sitting here finishing it up, and thought Id check back here for any hints, and suggestions!

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2008-07-27, 9:39am

Mary....I would love a frog tutorial from you! Yours are so awesome!

Shauna
Old 2008-07-27, 10:24am
Mary Lockwood

Thanks Shauna!

Did you know that I have the frog tutorial on my site for free? It is a simple computer graphics version. I did think of redoing it as a real photo tutorial and tacking it onto another one as a bonus...like combining the fish, frogs and mushrooms all together into one sculptural tutorial. I didn't think anyone would actually want to pay for the frogs since it is already done on my site for free, but it would be nice to see real photo steps of the images.

Suzanne did a real photo version for a magazine in the Netherlands and they sent me a free copy. It was beautifully done, but not something a huge amount of people are going to be able to see and the text is all in Dutch.

Suzanne...do you have purchasing instructions for people about that?

Hugs.
~~Mary

Old 2008-07-28, 2:17pm
Covered in glitter

PAGE numbers. They need to have page numbers. Very important.

And please don't charge so much for them that 99% of the lampworkers out here won't be able to buy them.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-07-29, 1:13pm
Mary Lockwood

I didn't want to hi-jack someone else's thread, but I wanted to respond to the price differential people are commenting about.

I think the problem with raising the price of the tutorials is that you are pricing yourself out of what most people are willing to pay for a tutorial. The same holds true for books. I remember some people (certainly not most people) complaining about the high price $75 for Passing the Flame when it first came out. With that book, you were learning LOTS of different beads in a step by step format. I can't remember how many beads are in that, but even if there were only 5 beads, that is still pricing each 'tutorial' in the book at
$15.00. PLUS it was already printed. With the $15-20 tutorials, you pay the fee and still have to print them for yourself.

While I agree that if I had sold my jellyfish tutorial for a flat fee of $200...it would NOT have been enough. But multiply $15 times 500 and then try to tell tutorial writers they are underpaid.

You also have to remember that most of the people who purchased the tutorials are going to reap the techniques, gain the knowledge and go along making their own style of beads. I do not expect a mad rush of jellyfish beads all over etsy or ebay or anywhere else. Even if there are more jellyfish beads, they most likely won't look like mine and if they do I can' hardly complain about it, can I?

Say I go to teach a class of 8 people how to make jellyfish seascapes. I get $500 for that day because lately I've been working flat rate days, no matter the number of students, no matter what they paid for the class. That is comparable to saying that each one of those students paid me $62.50 to teach them how to make jellyfish beads.

Take a live, in-depth, me looking over your shoulder class at $62.50...or me emailing you a tutorial that you then have to print out yourself for $18.00. I think that scale is fair. I think that the live class IS worth 3 times the printed paper. Not to mention I can reach MANY more people by email than I can by plane. I don't have to leave my family. I don't have to sit next to some smelly guy on the plane. I don't have to leave my torch. My husband doesn't have to use his vacation time.

There is the flipside of that too though. I don't get to meet great people. I don't get to spend time is awesome studios. I don't get to interact one on one with the students face to face.

No, I am very very happy that more people will be able to purchase my tutorial because it is priced at $18 than would ever be able to afford taking a $250-$400 class plus their travel expenses.

That doesn't mean that I don't understand the price of $100 for a printed tutorial. It is just a different approach. I would rather touch a lot of people and sell it at a lower price, than touch fewer people at a higher price. There is nothing wrong with either way.

I have to admit though that selling the tutorial for $100 does make sure that the people you are selling to are really serious about whatever it is you are teaching them. That cost for a tutorial is even higher than what I make for an in-person class. It is an investment.

With what a person can learn from a $100 tutorial they can make back their investment on their own bead sales in a day or two depending on how they work.

No, I certainly understand the thinking behind a hundred dollar tutorial, I just didn't choose to go that way for mine. It suits me just fine and I don't mind at all that people are talking about it in public or that I'm answering questions in public. I think it all draws more interest to the tutorial. I think it shows that I back up what I sell. I have sold more tutorials since I started talking about it and openly answering questions (yes, even those that kinda give some things away) than I did before those things happened.

Anyway, that's how I feel about it.
~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2008-07-29 at 1:18pm.
Old 2008-07-29, 1:36pm

Mary, I really wish I was as articulate as you.. my thoughts jump so fast I never type what Im thinking to say..

edited, Just didnt sound how I wanted it to, surprise!

~~
~~

Last edited by Ever After; 2008-07-29 at 2:11pm. Reason: ADD
Old 2008-07-29, 2:31pm
moth to the flame

Well said Mary, I agree with your POV.

I am grateful to those who offer their tuts at a price I can afford but I understand there will always be some I can't and thats ok too.

I respect everyone offering them and wish them all the best in sales.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-07-29, 9:26pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I think $100.00 for a tutorial is too much. For the same price I can get 'Passing The Flame' and 'Making Glass Beads' and maybe 1 more book on top of those. Just my opinion as buyer.

Old 2008-07-30, 8:55am

Bumping the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post

Tutorials:
Goddess Tutorial - By LavenderCreek (Teresa)
Chaos Tutorial - By Sherry Bellamy
Pansy Tutorial - By Everafter (Laurie)
Seascapes Tutorial - By Mary Lockwood (Moth)
Compilation of Silver Glass How to:
Second Silver Color Booklet – compiled by Hayley
Helens Harvest Tutorial:http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=13704243
Sarah Hornik: Think Pink http://www.glassbysarah.com/

Old 2008-07-30, 12:27pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Oh I'm sorry if this been mentioned before, but if it's possible, can the sellers put a sneak peak of maybe half or 1 page of the tutorial to kinda give the potential buyer an idea of how good the tut is, in terms of images and explanations. Of course, pick a page that wont give away the big secret of the techniques? I hope this make sense, pls forgive my English.

Old 2008-07-31, 5:16am

Im setting up a links page to tutorials that I know are available on my website, its a work in progress, but I think it would be great if the other makers of tuts would too..I Know this lampwroking world is huge,even though sometimes we think about it just being ebay, etsy and LE, lol and I would love a way to reach out farther..
xo L

~~
~~

Last edited by Ever After; 2008-07-31 at 5:21am.
Old 2008-07-31, 5:50am

I'm one of the people who would really like a hard copy.... I've never heard of LULU before but I would much rather pay for the BOOK form then get a PDF file which may or may not open on my computer... I didn't realize that the PDF files disappeared after a couple of days... I'm sure I didn't transfer any saved PDF files when we moved files... so all I have for my money is a crappy printed copy....

Lynne

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2008-07-31, 6:05am

I don't have mine set to disappear ever, and I'm sure if you ask the lady you bought your tut from, she would probably gladly mail you another. Ask her.
I used to like books, too, but I don't have room for a book at my torch. I have room for a printed page on a stool, but it usually gets condensation from my drink which smears it. I already used it, so not much loss there.
I always wanted to write a hard copy book, too, but a doctor friend of mine talked me into the pdf form. He buys lots of medical stuff that way, and seems to think it's a better way, and he's a very bookish, older man. I had my ebook writer help stuff a long time before I got the guts to try to learn it. It's difficult for an old lady like me, but doable. ♥ Love, Helen

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2008-07-31, 6:09am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgirl View Post
I'm one of the people who would really like a hard copy.... I've never heard of LULU before but I would much rather pay for the BOOK form then get a PDF file which may or may not open on my computer... I didn't realize that the PDF files disappeared after a couple of days... I'm sure I didn't transfer any saved PDF files when we moved files... so all I have for my money is a crappy printed copy....

Lynne
Hi Lynne!

I don't know what you mean about PDF files disappearing in a couple of days. I have PDF files on my computer that have been here for years.

If you mean that the download link you use to get digital deliveries disappears, that is correct. You need to save the file to your computer to keep it. If your file somehow gets lost and you need another copy, or if your download link expires before you had a chance to download it, all you have to do is contact the seller. For mine, all I have to do is a click a button next to your name is it automatically reactivates your link.

I just received notification that the printed, bound book version of my tutorial has been shipped to me so hopefully on Monday, I'll be able to offer a few copies of the bound book.

I said this before, but in case it is in a different thread, the book will be $9 for anyone who has already purchased the pdf version of the tutorial...or $27 for anyone only purchasing the book.

~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2008-07-31 at 6:12am.
Old 2008-07-31, 6:09am

I manually send my files, they wont dissapear once you downloaded them, and if you can I suggest you burn them to cd or dvd,
also like kind of Helen stated, I have kept a log of every purchase, and if you Lost your due to computer failure etc. just let me know I will resend it..

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-31, 6:49am
Covered in glitter

Mary I just read your post and it says it perfectly. I would consider paying $100 if there was as much information as in Passing the Flame even if it were as a .pdf. However for ONE bead, not a chance. I don't have that kind of money. What it does do is make me determined to figure it out on my own however. I guess I feel that if someone is pricing things that high when everything else is in the $15-$25 range, they don't really want most people to have the techniques that they are using. I just will never pay that kind of money for a tut. Period. I think my limit is going to be $25.

Just got back from breakfast and reread this. I don't mean to sound snarky at all. I wish Helen all the best. I think her work is stunning and sit with my mouth hanging open much of the time when I look at it. I have no problem at all with what people ASK for something. I just have the problem paying it. LOL

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche

Last edited by debkauz; 2008-07-31 at 8:49am.
Old 2008-07-31, 10:46am

Aw, Deb. Keep it up. Every time you complain, I sell another one. ♥ Love, Helen

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2008-07-31, 11:11am
Covered in glitter

Helen I'm sorry you think that stating my feelings about something is complaining. I said that I wish you well and I do but I also have the right to feel as I do.

Old 2008-07-31, 11:56am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Helen, I love your beads, I wish I can afford them. They are to die for.

I don't think Deb is complaining, cause I feel the same, no way I will spend $100 bucks just for 1 technique. Now if the tutorial is for a few techniques, I might think about it, but still $100 bucks is too much for E-book, I even thought Sarah's E-book was kinda expensive, but after I hear reviews from friends, I bought it and I think I got my money worth, because her tutorial is for 2 techniques plus. (I wrote plus because she also give away secrets to a few beads she made that we can figure out), also she add so many information it made me feel good about spending the money.

I hope I don't sound like a smartypant, just voicing my opinion. Please forgive my English. It's not my first language.

Old 2008-07-31, 12:01pm
da General

I think that Helen's audience is very different from the others. She is definitely not targeting the mass but more an exclusive group who is really interested making beads like hers AND selling them. The people who purchase Helen's tutorial are allowed to sell the beads . . as opposed to just make beads as for yourself and as gifts, as in some other tutorials. . . that, in itself, is worth the high price, IMHO.

And Helen provides email support for life . . . which may contribute to her wanting to keep the group small. Selling a tutorial for $15 and have 500 people email her (granted not everyone will), OR selling it to a more exclusive audience for a higher price? She chose the latter.

To me, in a way, she is looking for an "apprentice" (or two or three. . . ) to pass on her techniques (as she stated in another thread that her kids don't like to melt glass). So keeping the group small and only those who are really motivated and interested makes sense!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-31, 12:14pm
Covered in glitter

I would guess that if I emailed Anne or pretty much anyone who's done a tut and asked them a question they would give me the answer.
If I buy the tutorial and decide to sell the beads I make from it I think that's my choice. I don't remember anyone saying that we couldn't actually use the things to do as we wish. But it's like a class...you get the techniques and you make it yours. I would do that with any bead I tried from any tutorial. Do you really think that any of us can make those beautiful flowers like Helen can? No tut in the world is going to be enough for me to do that! It's a matter of learning but it's also a matter of love and amazing talent. Helen clearly loves those flowers that she makes and she's got the talent to do so. If you don't have that no tut in the world will give it to you.
It's her technique. She can absolutely do what she chooses with it.

I think from now on I'll just look for tutorials and not read threads. Seems prudent.

Last edited by debkauz; 2008-07-31 at 12:17pm.
Old 2008-07-31, 12:18pm
Heart Of Glass Beads

Well put, Hayley. Believe me, I have done a LOT of experimenting in the sculpted floral area, and there is a lot more to it than just slapping on a few colors and sculpting petals. Helen has spent years experimenting and refining her flowers, and is offering all of that expertise in this tutorial. I haven't purchased it yet, but only because I can't afford it at this time. If and when I can, it will definitely be at the top of my list of tutorials to purchase.

And Deb - I totally understand your point of view also.

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2008-07-31, 12:25pm
da General

Deb, this is the thread and blog (July 12 entry) that discuss the issue of making the beads and selling them on the same venues as the tutorial writer.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=97571
http://www.everafterartistry.com/flogmeforblogging.htm

With all the copying threads around these days, it's nice to have someone, like Helen, who is not only allowing you to sell the beads but offers support for life:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=19

"My techniques, when you buy them, become your techniques, and are for your beads to be sold or kept as you like. I just ask that you keep the "secrets" to yourself for your benefit of your own work. I'm a painter, and have learned to translate an image into 3D on the front, but flat on the back, similar to a plaque. That way it has the appearance of a realistic flower, but is comfortable and strong to the wearer. I haven't seen anyone else make these, and I offer email support if you have any questions, forever."

I agree that not everyone is capable of doing what she does . . . but there are those who are aspired to try and are willing to pay to learn.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-31, 12:45pm
Storm Queen

Thank you for posting all those links Hayley. I had missed all of that.