LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-14, 2:59pm

Anastasia,
Neat reaction with the silver! Are you using silver foil or silver leaf?

Carol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-14, 3:13pm
-boring beads-

That was silver foil and silver leaf...lol...both...
Since I had the idea while making the bead...so I just took what I could grab with one hand only...

Anastasia
Old 2006-10-14, 9:44pm

Has anyone else had problems with using Supernova over opaque glass and then encasing? I've used it with Red Roof Tile, Lauscha Hawiian Purple, and CIM Rose Quartz, and have gotten cracks each time. I have not had any cracks with transparent glass as my base.
Carol

Old 2006-10-14, 9:54pm
Fusing Glass

Well I tried it day before last and i got crap. Couldnt get anymore of a reducing flame then I was using and still nada, zippo, zip. This is going in to the garage for sale this week. I certainly hope they dont try to give me another silver color or i am out of this. I was hoping for some real COLORS. argh.
Old 2006-10-15, 6:28am

Carol I had a strange thing happen with cracks, I put a few the first few of them I did in the blanket to cool instead of the kiln and they all cracked when I cleaned them. I didn't have any problems with cracks from the ones in the kiln. I wanted to try it again from the blanket, but I just havent gotten back to the torch yet.

I did get some cool colors tho, I'm on a mini cc, by turning down the oxy, after I was done shaping the bead. I'll share some pictures later this week.
I think this color is cool, but I'm with you Mary, I'd much rather have a regular color next time around.

Rose

- work in progress!
Old 2006-10-15, 11:36am
over the moon space cadet

I have to say that I was a bit dissapointed when I heard what kind of glass it is too. I was hoping for a "color" color too, but I guess that's part of this. I'm thinking that this may be the "testing lab" for Lauscha?? So I guess that there's drawbacks and advantages I guess. If you're paying for "mystery glass", that's what you're going to get - good and bad. I've basically told myself that because I wouldn't have run out and purchased this glass if I had $40 bucks to spend.
On the other hand, I guess it's cool that we also are privvy to this brand new - super sought after glass (only sought after because it's new and silver). I'm jumping on it and selling that bicone tonight on JB. Some collector or designer may be thrilled to own a new color for their collections. We'll see.
Those of you frustrated with it, don't give up - really, like I said before.... if I can get colors out of it, then I'm confident that all of you can. It just requires a bit of patience. Plus, someone may accidentally find some super easy trick to make this glass do its stuff . Don't be so quick to get rid of it. When it works, it's really gorgeous!! And, it's the first batch ever - that's kinda cool
Thanks to you Marcie, for putting this all together BTW. I think it's really cool!

" We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled.
The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over
and let the beautiful stuff out. - Ray Bradbury
Old 2006-10-16, 7:48am

Well I still haven't received my glass!! And I've emailed Marci 2-3 times about it and haven't gotten an anwser. With all the trouble and problems with this and for how little color you are getting. I would just as soon get my money returned because I'm having great luck with R4 and DH glasses and don't need anymore finicky glass......
Old 2006-10-16, 8:03am

Having also e-mailed and pm'd marcie with no responce, I'm getting ready to give up on the whole project. The lack of responce just seems like maybe its a bit much to handle. Thats okay, it was a great idea. As always great ideas don't always work as planned. I do Honestly have to admitt I've been having e-mail proplems with my main account- but I asked that alternatives like PM's be used and still have had no responce. <shrug> oh well. I'd have liked to try a bit of this glass. Seems likely that some will be for sale some where along the line...

A.

Heard back today- so evidently the lag time on communication is a bit more than we are used to. However in this culture of instant gradification anytime might hit that mark.

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.

Last edited by misfit; 2006-10-16 at 10:29am.
Old 2006-10-17, 8:04am
Beach Brat

Please don't get too discouraged. According to Marcie's posts on the Lauscha Color of the Month thread, she's got some kinks worked out for shipping the next color. There is always a learning curve when starting something completely new like this. I would give it another month at least.

Personally, I love the silver reactive glass. I fell in love with the Double Helix glass, and have gotten great colors using the directions on their web site. I used the same technique on Supernova and got wonderful results. (I'll post pictures when I can.)

I was very happily surprised at how much the color variations intensified after kiln annealing. Plus the fact of $35 vs $100 per pound, well, that's VERY appealing!

Don't get me wrong, I also love color colors, beautiful colors that stay the same on the bead as it looks in the rod. I just love glass.

The way I see it, all these new colors are forcing me to push the envelope, step out of my comfort zone, and expand my skills.

I'm giving Marcie the benefit of the doubt that the next monthly shipment will be much smoother with all the boxes going out on the same day.

It's more than just a bead; it's an adventure

Old 2006-10-17, 11:33pm

Well, now that Color of the Month thread is gone. I'm really confused.

Old 2006-10-18, 12:58am
Entropy increasing....

If any of you want to sell your stash of this I think you should do it.

I'm happy to take it off your hands.
Old 2006-10-18, 7:52am
Beach Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice
Well, now that Color of the Month thread is gone. I'm really confused.
It's back. I wasn't aware it was gone. I looked at it yesterday morning, then checked it out just now when I read your post, Kandice. Maybe it got pulled temporarily because of the sniping? Who knows. Anyway, it's there now.

You know, you can use SuperNova even without reducing it. It's still a deep purple. I've attached pictures showing it this way. I made a twisty of SuperNova and Lauscha MilkyWay, and another twisty of Lauscha transparent red and translucent white (don't know the real names, sorry). For the beads, I made the ends of pure Supernova, then added transparent white and the twisties in the center.

I apologize the pictures aren't terribly clear. The beads are still on the mandrels, but they had already been annealed. I'll post more pictures of the reduced and non-reduced color of the month as soon as I take the pictures.
Attached Images

Old 2006-10-18, 7:56am
Beach Brat

hmmm...the pics are kind of small. Let me try posting them again.
Attached Images

Old 2006-10-18, 8:36am
Beach Brat

Lightbulb SuperNova in OC, MD

I have an idea for anyone lives close to the Ocean City, MD area. Would anyone from the club like to come by and have a mini open torch session with Superova?

I have Supernova, and I've been able to coax a range of blues from the purple glass, as well as keeping it purple. Of course, there are pictures of wonderful beads already posted here. I see there are a lot of things I can learn, too.

This would be a great way to brainstorm, play with the glass, or even just see it in motion if you haven't received yours yet.

Anyone interested? PM me and we'll get the the details firmed up.

Old 2006-10-18, 9:10am

Default Bookmark that Lauscha Page!

http://web.mac.com/marciedavis/iWeb/...th%20Club.html

Yes, it's a deep dark secret! Not really, the secret is pretty much out. But since not all members have their glass yet, we wanted to protect their "ooo, ahh" surprise......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicfire
How did you get yours? I paid months ago and I don't seem to have the Lauscha page bookmarked. I was wondering why I haven't heard anything.

Thanks,
Patti

Edited to say: I noticed the link above, but it doesn't say if this color is shipping or not? Is this the 1st color for the club? And why does it seem to be such a deep dark secret?
Old 2006-10-18, 9:25am

Beautiful work!
Old 2006-10-18, 9:38am
Beach Brat

Thank you for the compliment! These were just some down and dirty test beads. I've made other beads with this glass, but haven't yet taken pictures. My friends and beady buddies have ooh'd and aah'd over the color, though.

I really like this glass, and I love this help forum. This club makes it so much quicker and easier to get input from a lot of people about how to work 1 color at a time. I'm really looking forward to the other LCOTM's too!

Old 2006-10-18, 9:48am
Hot Rod Addiction

Hello JOY! Glad to see you here. Hopefully I'll see you Saturday at the ISGB meeting.

I played with this last night for a couple of hours and the only color I managed to have a good reaction on was dk. ivory -- it came out a beautiful turquois color. If you can excuse the wonky bead, I'll try and post a pic tonight after I get home from work.

I did my best in a "reducing" flame, but for some reason I'm attracted to the licking action of the oxygen and think I may have been a little too close to the yellow part of the flame. I'll try again tonight or tomorrow night and avoid the yellow portion and see how it comes out. If it doesn't work again then I'll put the glass in a corner until I figure out how to use it.
Old 2006-10-18, 10:03am
Beach Brat

Hi Laurie!

I will definitely be there Saturday. How far away do you live from the meeting? Maybe we can get together and play with the color. PM me if you're interested.

Yes, I'd love to see your beads, and who cares if the bead is wonky. It's the color I'm interested in.

FYI - There is a site where you can post your experiences with this glass, or read what other people have done. It can be very helpful. It was posted in the Lauscha Color of the Month Thread. http://www.mistycherie.com/glassReview/

You create a user account (your LE name) and Marcie checks that you're a real club member, then will give you access and notify you via email.

Joy

Old 2006-10-18, 10:06am
Hot Rod Addiction

Thanks for the link - I just signed up.

I'm about an hour from Columbia, and in the opposite direction of OC. Right now I'm trying to find out if I need to take my son to his football game or if his dad is going to do it. Once I know for sure, I'll know if I can make the meeting. Hope to see you there...

back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Old 2006-10-19, 8:59am
Princess of Pi

I love the plain purpleness of supernova in Joy's beads. Yummy! Looking forward to playing with my stash tomorrow.
Old 2006-10-19, 10:04am
Corgi Cult Member

So far, I just can't seem to get it. I can get very limited color but nothing vibrant. Help! I strike OR and Kronos just fine. It originally took me a long time on Kronos but once I found my sweet spot I haven't had a problem since. I just can't seem to find my Supernova sweet spot. Tried all the various recommendations. Nothing happened worth showing. I work on a Lynx. Any Lynx users having luck? If so, would you mind sharing how? I'm not going to give up. Just currently frustrated with myself for not figuring it out.
Kathy

Old 2006-10-19, 12:10pm
Beach Brat

Do not fear the plain purpleness of SuperNova.

As promised, here are some pics of more beads:

The first one is Supernova reduced. I didn't see the color changes, so I added some frit to it, then encased with Lauscha clear, then added millefiore I made with Supernova as the center, then encased with Lauscha clear again. After I annealed it, the reduced Supernova at the core popped with various colors.

The 2nd is a pic of the millefiori I made with Supernova in the center, not reduced. Lovely purple!

The 3rd is Supernova over Moretti white, no reducing. Notice the soft color, and how it sinks into the white, creating muted edges.

The next was my very first test bead reducing Supernova. It looked all muddy until I took it out of the kiln. I actually let it cool overnight before I put it in the kiln, then the colors just popped. The picture doesn't do it justice. There are so many colors and sharper contrast all through it.

The final pic is a free form where I spot reduced Supernova, then encased it in Lauscha clear, then added dots of Moretti Sky Blue. The dots in the 4 corners are the sky blue, all the rest of the colors are from the Supernova. Again, the colors did not pop until I annealed the bead.

Oh, by the way, I use a Nortel Minor Burner, and when I reduce, I have like a 3" candle, and flash the bead through the yellow part of the flame 5 or 6 times, then let cool a little, pick another spot, and do it again. Then I'll turn up the oxygena and heat small spots on the bead to neutralize it. No real rhyme or reason. I could see a little color change when I took it out of the flame, but not nearly as much as when I annealed it.

The pictures do not do the colors of the beads justice. But this was a fun experiment, and I can't wait for the 2nd color!
Attached Images

Last edited by jrandrup; 2006-10-19 at 12:22pm.
Old 2006-10-19, 12:41pm
over the moon space cadet

Loving all the results, everyone!
I think the unreduced color of this glass is gorgeous too - deep purple and it really looks nice on Bubblegum pink! (Made a bead for DD with those 2 on it)
I like listening to everyone's results..... like I said before, putting our heads together on this is the best way for everyone to figure it out the best they can! Goodness knows I wouldn't have been able to get it without Carol's posts.
Also, I just switched torches and still have to find my sweet spot on the new one too - the bicone was made on a Minor and now I have a Phirana. I'll see. Goin' to JC's this weekend and taking some with me. We'll see what we can all figure out there!
If something comes of it, I'll post results!

" We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled.
The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over
and let the beautiful stuff out. - Ray Bradbury
Old 2006-10-19, 3:55pm
Hot Rod Addiction

Okay a funny for you...I sat down and decided I would try that reducing flame and see what colors I could get last evening. I played with one bead for about an hour trying to coax some color out of it (I had applied stringer on white opaque core). Anyway, after an hour of trying to get something I realized I was using black stringer, not Supernova...urgh! Back to the drawing board -- and where did I put those darn glasses?
Old 2006-10-19, 4:26pm
Hot Rod Addiction

I forgot I promised a pic of what I've worked on so far...

I don't have a pro photo set-up, and the colors are so very faint in the violet and black beads that the Supernova is hard to see -- even to the nake eye. But you can definitely see it on the ivory where I did Supernova stringer. The other two round beads only have hints of green, but mostly yucky gray. (Excuse the newby beads.)

Edit* - forgot to add that I hadn't annealed them yet. If they change, I'll post a new pic.
Old 2006-10-19, 8:29pm

Here are some photos of comparisons of the reactive glasses. This is only to compare not to try and bring anyone down or ditz them.

Below I have a photo that I took of 5 beads. Each is labeled.
I used the same design technique the same glass with the exception that each bead was different reactive glass with it. Put in the same part of the flame, the same amount of time, EVERTHING, the same except the reactive glass.

As you can see I did get some color out of the Nova but not a heck of a lot compared to the Double Helix glass colors. But then maybe I just haven't found that magic touch with it yet.

I was able to get these colors out of DH glass within seconds. I tried everything to coax the color out of the Nova. What you see is the best I could get. The last bead was my first attempt the first bead was my second attempt at Nova.

In the second picture, I used a different technique. Although it brought the color out of the Nova, it didn't seem to like the technique as nice as much as the OR did.
Attached Images

Last edited by sislonski; 2006-10-20 at 8:30pm.
Old 2006-10-19, 9:48pm

Marcie, my glass came today. Thank you! I didn't have time to try it but hope to this weekend.
Old 2006-10-19, 10:09pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

The Supernova looks incredible when blown, too...

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2006-10-20, 1:15am

I got my glass today - YEY!! The rods are quite a lovely dark purple transparent. I think I might try my hardest to keep that color rather than reduce it to get effects. I am hoping to have some time to play with the glass this weekend.