No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-10-18, 6:14pm
Fight glass with FIRE

Default What is the deal with Alabaster rods

I'm new to lampwork and was wondering what made alabaster rods not be as compatible with other rods as are all the others between themselves. I was also wondering if many people used them often or are they really so different that you just work the alabaster colors between themselves. Do most people buy these rods and keep some in stock or are they too much trouble to play around and mix with others.

thanks a lot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2005-10-18, 7:19pm

I dont really know what the deal with them are. Only tried about 3 rods and hated them. Bubbles up and seems to be only compatiable with other alabaster rods.

the nick name for alabaster rods is bastered rods.
Old 2005-10-19, 4:17pm
IMAHO

I love Opalinos, but what really makes Alabastro so different? I just bought a sample pack- great colors. Maybe I'll go burn some and see what I get. None of the suppliers mention much about alabastro being incompatible with other 104s. Is it not really a 104?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Free your mind and your glass will follow"
Old 2005-10-19, 5:11pm
Fight glass with FIRE

From what I read they contain some marble to make them more opalecent which causes then to not be compatible all the time probably depending on the batch I imagine. I was also told that if heated too much they tend to loose their color and look like crap.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2005-10-19, 9:10pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I am far from bead maker extraordinaire, so if I can do it anybody can...I've not had problems with compatibility YET. I think you just have to work it slow and cool, which is a pain in the fanny since it doesn't melt quickly anyway. These beads have goldstone, copper green, monet frit, and opal yellow and rubino flowers, so maybe the same 5-10% directive applies...or maybe the moon has to be in the second house, and the temperature has to be 73.7 degrees, with a low relative humidity, at 11:33 pm...

Who knows?

Chris
Attached Images

Old 2005-10-19, 9:14pm

Those are great chris. Almost makes me want to try alabaster again.

I think the issue I had with them are I like to work my flame hot and fast and you need to more out in the cooler flame and slow.
Old 2005-10-19, 11:23pm
Fight glass with FIRE

Those are really nice beads. I guess guys are made to work more with boro lol! we like to play with fire and we like to have a fire with lots of power and bigger and bigger torches all the time.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2005-10-20, 7:45am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Great beads Chris! Alabastro like opalino needs to be worked cool & slow. It takes a lot of patience. If worked hot & fast & for too long it will fizzle (tech. term) & loose color. I rarely have the patience for it but does make for some interesting beads as Chris has demonsrtated.

Cherine
Old 2005-10-20, 12:07pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Thank ya'll...I'm blushing...truly! I'm glad ya'll like them; they sold for a WHOPPING $17.99 on eBay...even though I'm a newbie, I was still just a wee bit disappointed...

I really like the Alabastro; the green reminds me of Fire King Jadite; I keep wanting to break some Fire King and fire polish it...

Chris
Old 2005-10-20, 12:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij
Thank ya'll...I'm blushing...truly! I'm glad ya'll like them; they sold for a WHOPPING $17.99 on eBay...even though I'm a newbie, I was still just a wee bit disappointed...

I really like the Alabastro; the green reminds me of Fire King Jadite; I keep wanting to break some Fire King and fire polish it...

Chris
Your beads are beautiful! In fact, they've inspired me to pull out some of my dusty old alabaster rods from my Effetre sampler pack. Sorry they didn't sell for more I don't sell on Ebay but I've heard it's kind of hit and miss until you get a following.

Old 2005-10-20, 6:37pm
IMAHO

Thanks for showing your beads! They're beautiful! I love the tone of the alabastro and with the multitude of other glasses on it, it looks really neat- so technical LOL. No apparent compatability problem? Just have to treat it nicely, huh?
Old 2005-10-20, 7:19pm
Rose colored glasses…√

or have plain 'ole beginner's dumb luck...I didn't know lack of compatibility was a potential problem...if I had, I'd probably have screwed 'em up!

Chris
Old 2005-10-21, 5:45am
It's time to sparkle

Quote:
or have plain 'ole beginner's dumb luck...I didn't know lack of compatibility was a potential problem...if I had, I'd probably have screwed 'em up!

Chris
Chris, from what I see in the pic of your truly lovely beads is that you used alabastro almost exclusively as the base bead, then you put designs on the top. So there wouldn't be a compatibility issue, because the top design colors are such a small percentage of the bead. Glass typically has a tolerance threshold of incompatibilty before it reacts. That's how people can use frit, which is usually 96 COE.

Now, if you had encased it with another color, there's a high chance it would've cracked. I've tried every possible way I could think of to encase the blue and it usually cracks. I had some success with the technique of putting a thin layer of a clear buffer between the mandrel and the alabastro-that's a technique people successfully use when their whites are cracking. But it only worked most of the time, not all of the time.

I don't think folks should run from alabastro. It's just a little fussy, but what a pretty effect. Most of my favorite glasses have attitude!

P.S.-Chris' bead set was definitely worth more than $17.99!

Jude

Old 2005-10-21, 10:55am
PELE

Quote:

Chris
I've used alabastros and opalinos on and off for seven years and never had a problem with compatability. It's a pet peeve of mine that most people say they're incompatible with other Moretti colors and hopelessly difficult to work with!!! I just haven't found that to be true! The one thing that I haven't done is encase them with clear very often-- but other than that I've mixed them with all kinds of colors (in all kinds of ratios) and never had a problem with compatability.

Here are some discs I made that have alabastro and opalino glass in them.

Beautiful beads, Chris!!

lynne

Old 2005-10-21, 11:10am

Lynne those disks are way cool!

Old 2005-10-21, 1:20pm

I just did two encased florals using alabaster (1 inch diam) blue cracked in half green didn't, but for my money Bullseye has similar colours that you don't have to treat with kid gloves! My florals with the BU opalescent glass as a base are gorgeous, all sold and the scan didn't do them justice.

Lynne

www.fireballbeeds.com
Old 2005-10-21, 6:00pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Oh WOW; those disks are sooooo cool! Maybe one day I'll be that good...and maybe one day the Pope will convert to Taoism...

I am in awe...as is usual on this board...thanx to everyone for your compliments, it makes me feel better about my efforts,

Chris
Old 2005-10-22, 11:55am
PELE

Thanks Dawn and Chris!

It sounds like alabastro blue does not like to be encased, so if I ever get an urge to do that, I'll just say no!!

I agree with Lynne that the Bullseye blues are a good alternative-- 'cept then you have to deal with buying and using a different COE glass.

lynne