Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-06-12, 8:43pm

Default FREE BEADS for giving advice!!!! *

* (You won't want them for several years, if ever!!)
Question #1: Does anyone have a design that really works for wooden glass storage that my brother (very handy with the saw!) could build for me? My "studio" will be a glorified closet (6x, but with some nifty built-ins to conserve space.

Question #2: Is there anything wrong with having one's torch facing a window? It would be the center of a "bay window" with the 2 side ones opening out for incoming air. The windows would face south east, so yes, I would get some afternoon sun. Bad? Good? I could install metal blinds?

Question #3: The ventilation will be from above. How close to the torch does it need to be? Has anyone heard of the new vent. syst. that the guy who invented the "creation station" is working on? Should I wait for that?
(Dale, I have not been able to download pics...something is wrong with Picassa for me.)

Open-ended question: Does anyone have any MUST DOs or DON"T DOs for me, regarding planning the space?

Thanks so much! I will be doing this for a hobby, as I'm a teacher for my 50 hour job. Hubby fly fishes, so I've finally found something to do while he ties flies, sitting around in his waders!!

Edited to say the size of the "studio" will be 6x8...no idea as to why the smiley took over!!!

Connie

Last edited by Stratified Eye; 2007-06-12 at 8:45pm. Reason: Smiley preempted the number "8"...?? I can't change it!
Old 2007-06-12, 10:31pm
Entropy increasing....

There is nothing wrong with facing your torch towards a window, but it's like watching tv in front of a window, it makes it harder to see. If you put something black right behind your torch you should be able to see better. If not, you won't be able to see the flame. Some people in your position hang a floor mat like you put in a car or a door mat made of rubber or something behind the flame, a safe distance away as a background. In baseball they would call it's the "batter's eye".
Old 2007-06-13, 4:42am
Detail G-Mama!

Hey Connie, sitting in front of the window is fine. I have a peice of plexiglass on the back of the table to prevent any glass from flying off the table. I have the black tile under my torch like we had in class but I have mine up on kiln posts to elevate it. Since I'm a tester for the new vent system I can tell you that you will love it! I do need to spray the back part of it black so that I can see the bead if I hold it up but I think Bill has already taken care of that problem! You will want to have all your supplies close at hand by the torch. I have a shelf unit (cheapy plastic ones) and 2 rolling carts with drawers close to me so that I don't have to get up away from the torch to get anything that I might need, ie frits, foils, tools, etc. Good luck with the new digs!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-06-13, 4:55am
Formerly known as LT

For glass storage I used the pvc fence rail from home depot. I had mine cut in 18" lengths and then stacked about 20 high and 3 wide. Each one has 3 compartments that hold almost a pound of glass. They are not hard to cut but if you have a car you will need to cut them in half at the store to get them in. I think the total cost was about 150.00, and I have room for over 300 colors. Over kill maybe but the idea was that I would not have to bother my boyfriend to make another one. It's tucked under my work bench so easy to access. The only bummer is that they are seasonal and not something that is well known at the store. They looked at me like I was an alien when I asked. They can be found in the lumber area with the other vinyl fence. Good luck with you new space!

Old 2007-06-13, 7:38am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I use the fence rail too, but only Lowe's carries it here. I have a pass through in the back seat of my Honda Accord and am able to fit 4 8' long sections in with the trunk closed

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-06-13, 8:09am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratified Eye View Post
* (You won't want them for several years, if ever!!)

Question #3: The ventilation will be from above. How close to the torch does it need to be? Has anyone heard of the new vent. syst. that the guy who invented the "creation station" is working on? Should I wait for that?
(Dale, I have not been able to download pics...something is wrong with Picassa for me.)

Connie
Huh?

What new hood what pictures?

Hood should be a low as practical (you dont hit your head on it) and be large enough to capture combustion plume... Size and shape will be a issue as to how much space you have for hood and fan system.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-06-13, 8:11am
Michelle Morrison-Geschke

Default Good Luck with your new studio!

I have mine in a corner with windows on either side, but maybe these will help with some ideas. I did a black tile directly under the flame, and white tiles to the side (to check colors). The things in the back are cookie sheets. I got the ones that are double layered for insulation as a 'backsplash'. Make sure you have plenty of room between you and whatever is in front of your torch. My husband went all "Tim the Toolman Taylor" and made the kitchen hood vent work wonderfully well (he even put side bevels on it). Hope some of this helps!

and
New items!

I'm mostly over at Facebook these days... and working. Life has gotten... Hectic. I will try to check messages here... but try FB if you need me...
Old 2007-06-13, 8:56am
da General

I just want to add:

1) Intake air - what is yours coming from? It needs to be 10 linear feet from your hood vent.

2) Dedicated circuit breaker - depending on which kiln you have, you may need an outlet with its own circuit breaker.

Sounds like you will have a great work area! How fun!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-06-14, 12:20pm

Default Thanks...thus far

Thanks to all who responded!
Some comments:
Kevan: How would a very large ceramic tile work? I could lean it up against the window...

Anne: Do you have a pic of the new vent system or is that not allowed yet since he's still working on it? I just can't picture how it works to see if I'l have room for it. I only have about 2 feet and 4 inches from edge of work surface to the back window.

Felt's...I'm trying to think of something that could be built out of wood, if possible. My space is so small I"m trying to make it as "natural" looking as possible since I'll be crammed into what is really a "closet" for hours at a time; don't want to look at white plastic IF POSSIBLE, but will if I have to.

Dale: Sorry, I really meant that "other guy" who answers a lot of technical questions concerning setting up studios. Can't remember his name...

Beyond: Very resourceful to use the cookie sheets! My only problem is that since I've had lasik surgery, anything reflective drives me crazy!

Hayley: WOW...you just gave info that I had not heard of and now I"m in a panic!! My entire ROOM is not 10 feet, so what do I do about intake air?? I have 2 windows that will crank open, but they will be beside the center fixed pane. I thought I'd open the 2 and let the breeze flow through, (picture a bay window with the center pane fixed and the 2 side ones that crank out) but that will be very close to the vent. I see your point that the fresh air could be sucked up and out before it refreshes the room!SHeesh...what to do?
Old 2007-06-14, 12:39pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratified Eye View Post
Thanks to all who responded!
Some comments:
Kevan: How would a very large ceramic tile work? I could lean it up against the window...
Sure that would work. You just will have a hard time seeing your flame if there is just daylight behind it. Not only does that make it harder on your eyes and for making beads, it makes it easier to burn yourself.
Old 2007-06-14, 2:47pm

First of all welcome and good luck!

Glass storage. Depth 12 inches. Make each compartment 2x2 square. Have it slightly tipped to the back if you are up against a wall. (holds about 2lbs of glass and saves the rods from being knocked out by stuff)
Most tools can be found at harbor freight and in the kitchen.
You will loose your flame in the light from the window.
If the window is your intake air you need to be at the oposite end of the studio, or visa versa.
A great ventilation system is worth waiting for.
Mandrel storage: Get some cheap little buckets from the dollar store and fill the 3/4 with colored sand. A different color for each different size mandrel.
When buying your first glass get a pound of white, black, dark ivory, and clear. Then buy the colors one rod at a time from a lampwork buddy. The principle is simple. Learn your base colors and then expand your pallate.
Get an aloe plant, always have ice available, and get a good burn cream. Treat all burns immediately. Ice for 20min, then aloe. Put a god burn cream on the next day. Use an spf protector on your face.
Just my opinion
Jen
Old 2007-06-14, 3:04pm
Detail G-Mama!

What Jen said except for the ice, run the burn under cold water if possible. Ice damages the skin. Once the burn stops hurting then put the aloe or the burn creme on.

Old 2007-06-17, 5:28pm
still not Leslie

Location: Home the 2011 Worlds Series Champion St Louis Cardinals

Michelle, could I come over and play? I love your studio!
Old 2007-06-22, 7:54am
Trying to Hope!

My glass display shelf is made of wood. it was originally for wine bottles and is a sqaure 4 foot by 4foot with 5 inch by 5 inch cubbys where the top and bottom have removable shelves made out of press board I think. basicly a big 13inch deep grid I am sure your toolman could build one with or without the moveable shelves pretty easy then you could paint or stain to a pretty color.
It works great for me and even tho now its too short for my boro I love it so much I am going to still keep using it.

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-06-24, 10:17pm

Thanks to all! I just got back from going to the Biloxi, Mississippi, area with my DH (he works nearby during the week) and missed being on here. The Biloxi area (mainly the beach area) is just a horror...still mangled signs, scraped lots, uprooted trees, etc. after Katrina. The people of New Orleans got all the press, but Mississippi is really hurting.
Old 2007-06-25, 1:37pm
Your Royal Fritness

Here is a link to my ventilation system we just put in: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=feed+trough

Welcome to LE

Dawn

Old 2007-06-26, 9:19am
HourGlass Studio

Dawn what CFM is the fan ????

Your studio looks pretty cool.

Last edited by Laurie L; 2007-06-30 at 11:18am. Reason: i SPELLED DAWM ANS DAMN...lol
Old 2007-06-26, 7:35pm

Hey--on those "reflective" cookie sheets--just hit the hardware store & buy HEAT SAFE (it's made for woodstoves & engines--so it's fine a few feet from a torch *once it's DRY*) matte black spray paint--sand lightly (the cookie sheets) & give 'em a few coats of that--ta-da, instant non-reflective dark, heat-resistant metal!!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies