Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-04-05, 3:37pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Umm Jamie-Lynn I have no words for you ROFL!!!! I have done that by accident and it is not pretty!

Okay here's mine- DO NOT kill the little fly buzzing around with the hot end of the glass rod just to see it vaporize- its MUCH LARGER cousins will smell the barbeque and start biting you!!!!! Same goes for wasps and ants- Don't ask........

Oh and before you start that gorgeous bead you just bought the tutorial for make sure the kiln is on- Just saying..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-04-05, 4:54pm
Practicing perfect

OMG! and the tips go on.

When hot glass goes flying and lands on your chest, because you are wearing a v-neck shirt, DO NOT try to knock it off with the hot end of the rod, put something down for crying out loud! Just saying.

Old 2012-04-05, 5:37pm
Lover of all things color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherri View Post

Do not try to get the last little bit done with a rod that is boarder line to short for fingers. Needed one little dot of white and was so intend on getting it in the right spot and forgot where my index finger was. I found out REAL quick.. Ouch.
I have no finger prints on my index fingers so I can attest to this one. I worked for the govt. and they were not happy when they couldn't get a full set of prints.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-04-05, 5:40pm
Lover of all things color

Do no assume that because you have had a rod end sitting on a hot plate that it is hot enough to just plunge in the flame.....refer back to the sleeveless V-neck top for the rest of the visual.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-04-05, 7:47pm

Do not go into your studio area barefoot, even if you just vaccumed it up.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:40pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinesbeads View Post
sigh...yes, just did that ten min ago

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-04-06, 8:57am
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
EVEN IF your feet have thick hard pads like a dogs...
Old 2012-04-06, 9:24am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Do not place you press so that when you lift the top your hand hits the hot torch head. Ow.

Feel free to add some more!

Auuuwww been there, done that. Twice...

Didn't hit the torch head though.. just ran through the flame with my finger...

Old 2012-04-06, 9:26am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torched Art View Post
Where is the like button, damn it. Some of these are funny because I have done it myself.

Do not clean the glass rod with your clothes under your arm unless it is room temperature. A third degree burn is not ideal in the armpit.
Guilty lol!

Old 2012-04-06, 10:29am
Shelarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Gothic View Post
Do not shake the jar of bead release unless you are 100% sure you closed the lid tightly. Even if you ARE sure, check again.
Yes, yes, me too. A whole container, all over the place.

Do not reach into the hot kiln to pull out your punty. Or a murrini chip. Or a mandrel. Or anything.

Old 2012-04-06, 11:34am
They see me rollin'...

If you like to wear v-neck shirts while torching, or if you like for your chest to remain burn and scar-free, DO get one of these!

http://www.harborfreight.com/split-l...ron-45193.html

And look, if you drop a marble in your lap, you can catch it in one of the pockets!

(Seriously folks, I have been wearing one of these for years and I can't tell you how many times it has saved me from a serious burn!)

-Patti
Old 2012-04-06, 11:37am
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Gothic
Do not shake the jar of bead release unless you are 100% sure you closed the lid tightly. Even if you ARE sure, check again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshelle View Post
Yes, yes, me too. A whole container, all over the place.

Do not reach into the hot kiln to pull out your punty. Or a murrini chip. Or a mandrel. Or anything.
Didn't you know? To be a "real" lampworker you must endure the ritual baptism by bead release! I think most everyone has done that at least once!

Oh, and ditto on the kiln thing...BTDT too

-Patti

-Patti
Old 2012-04-06, 11:51am
Sheila Davis Designs

Do not listen to a song that makes you cry....makes it really hard too see what you're doing!

Old 2012-04-06, 3:29pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I wear that Harbor Freight apron! AND Kevlar sleeves. If I could only remember to wear SHOES on a regular basis...

L-111

Old 2012-04-06, 4:16pm
birdergirl ~o~

Luckily my didy bench shield protects me from most of the flying hot glass when it happens
but the other day I was sniff-checking the air to determine if my clothes were burning somewhere I couldn't see!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2012-04-07, 6:59am

Do not "think" that you have enough of a certain color rod on your bench. If there is any doubt go get one or two more before you have molten glass in your hands and can't.
Old 2012-04-13, 7:25pm
Loving learning

Do not take your running dremel & the mandrels you're grinding the ends of & switch hands. That grinding blade edge can cut you. The good thing is that if it's hot, I'm pretty sure it cauterizes the cut so no bleeding! Luckily for me it was a small cut, so I'm not absolutely sure and don't want to test my theory.
Old 2012-04-13, 8:22pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Do not leave open frit jars laying about, thinking "oh, I'll put the lid back on in a minute"

Old 2012-04-14, 12:42am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
Do not wear shirts that exposé your ample cleavage when torching....then after you do, and catch shocky glass with your boobs don't do it again the next day...and the day after that
Been there, done that, got the scar to prove it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Do not grab a mandrel back out of the kiln because you forgot a certain decoration on it. ( did that tonight and have burnt thumb and forefinger to remind me of this yet again!)
Ditto for this one, luckily the fingers don't scar as easily as the cleavage does .

Old 2012-04-14, 5:09am
Unmedicated since '62

Oh just remembered one

Don't leave you're open handbag under your desk so that when that huge murrini gather drops off the punty it falls in and sets it on fire...and if you do don't dive you're hand in to grab it

Hi Carol

(still makes me giggle a year on)

Old 2012-04-14, 5:25am
BeadsonCypress

regardless of where you put your frit tray, do NOT reach UNDER your torch flame to roll your bead in the frit.....or over the flame either...change hands!!!!!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2012-04-16, 6:31pm

Do not lick your finger to pick up a small piece of frit, even if it is a rare no longer in production color. Use tweezers.
Old 2012-04-16, 6:34pm
Loving learning

Do not hurry when pulling out glass & moving it to other spots, or you may remind yourself the hard way that the ends of those pretty colors are sharp... and not all colors go with red.
Old 2012-04-16, 11:31pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Do not hurry when pulling out glass & moving it to other spots, or you may remind yourself the hard way that the ends of those pretty colors are sharp... and not all colors go with red.
yeah, and blood makes the stringer all slippery making it really really hard to finish that dot bead

Old 2012-04-17, 1:19am

Do not put a candle on top of your kiln, then turn your kiln on.

Old 2012-04-17, 7:47am

This thread saved my lap!
I had an implosion marble pop off the punty last night! I remembered to open my legs because of this thread! Thanx!
Old 2012-04-17, 10:12am

The best thing is learning from other poeples warning so i got one of those aprons from harbour freight and after reading this i will wear it EVERYTIME lol

My name is Joy, but my friends call me Duckie
Shhh, i'm hiding from my boss

})I({
})I({
})I({
Old 2012-04-17, 1:09pm
Wonder-wench

... put your wood handled marble mold into the kiln bead door to pre-warm murrini. It took awhile of frantically searching for the source of the burning smell to realize the wood handle was at the charcoal stage. Yikes!

Old 2012-04-17, 2:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2Creations View Post
The best thing is learning from other poeples warning so i got one of those aprons from harbour freight and after reading this i will wear it EVERYTIME lol
Best $15 I've ever spent!
Old 2012-04-18, 6:23am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Having the end of a rod shock into a thousand pieces, one of which sticks to your CHEEK is never a good thing .