No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-05, 6:07pm
I poop flowers.

Default How cold is too cold?

I will have my space set up for lampworking soon. It will be in our garage, which is not heated. I currently run a small electric heater in there, which definitely takes the edge off in the winter time. We have a second heater that I will probably use also. I am wondering how warm it has to be to keep the glass from popping too badly. If I keep the glass in the house until I am ready to use it, will that help? That would be a pain, but I`m willing to try it. Or what if I keep it in the garage but close to(not TOO close) the heaters? Any suggestions are appreciated....Thanks!
Old 2006-11-05, 8:51pm
Gentleman of Leisure

When you consider the range of heat glass is subjected to, the "relative small" change in temperature in garage is not going to effect glass very much.... You may have to preheat glass a little bit more as you initially introduce it into flame and maybe get into kiln or vermiculite/fiber blanket a little faster as garage temperatures drop, but there is nothing drastic about process...

You personal body comfort is more a concern that the temperature of glass...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-11-05, 8:54pm
sunscreen me baby

It isn't going to be as much of a problem for the glass as it is going to be for you. I torched in my garage last winter. I was out there at 10 degrees and the glass wasn't a big deal. But, I couldn't last more than a half an hour in my Sorrells, ski suit, hat and fingertipless gloves.
I really didn't find much difference in the glass popping. The usual culprits did but I put them under my chili pepper to warm up.

~

Old 2006-11-05, 8:55pm
sunscreen me baby

Well how about that, I just said the same thing Dale did but used oh so many more words

~

Old 2006-11-05, 9:03pm
Life is change. Love it

If you are using an oxycon, they don't like the cold much!

Old 2006-11-06, 1:41am
I poop flowers.

No, Carolyn, I`m just starting out with the basic setup, a Hothead. I`m assuming the torch won`t care if it`s cold out, but never having done this in the cold before, I could be wrong....
Old 2006-11-06, 6:40pm

I have a space heater,.. keeps me pretty warm..
Old 2006-11-07, 10:28am

You know a friend told me to use a heating pad set on med with a towel around it to pre heat glass so it dont pop so bad. If you need it this might help.
Old 2006-12-12, 1:52pm
FatCat Mama

On the coldest of days, I sit on a heating pad. Sounds goofy, I know, but it makes a world of difference.

Teri P

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2006-12-12, 2:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that actually sounds like a great idea
Old 2006-12-12, 2:50pm

I used to work on a market stall and found in the cold it is importent to keep your shoes from touching the ground or concrete even something like a piece of cardboard box will make a difference but a wooden board or two or three layers of old carpet will work wonders anything is worth a try

Mike
Old 2006-12-12, 3:16pm
Missing presumed fed

My heating pad has a warning label on it that says not to sit on it -- not sure why. When I'm at Open Torch in an unheated barn, I put it behind my lower back -- almost as good as sitting on it.

You can buy chemical footwarmer packets that heat up when they're exposed to oxygen. I'm not sure what's in them, but while I'm sure it's not something you'd want to eat, I don't think it's anything horrifically scary. You open up the packet and tuck one in each shoe. They get quite warm. I bought a box for my Open Torch group, and one woman who usually wear clogs complains that they get too hot -- probably because they get too much oxygen because she's using them in open shoes.
Old 2006-12-12, 10:51pm
The Andrea Half

I'm wary of heating pads since the wife of a friend of mine plugged hers in, dialled it to where she wanted it, and it exploded. Sent the entire room up in flames. He got the kids out; she tried to fight the fire and died of smoke inhalation. I have thrown out all my heating pads! I use a hot water bottle at my feet instead.