AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-12, 6:27am

Default Does anybody blow glass ornaments?

I think I'm going to try. I had some beautiful ??? transparent red, and made a big hollow, but you can only tell it's see-through if you hold it up in front of a bright light! So I figure I am going to try blowing a hollow ornament, but I'm skeered! I won't say things blow up any more when I try to make shards, but I can't ever seem to get that glass on evenly!

Any tips, amusing anecdotes, pictures, glass suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 2006-12-12, 6:33am

You should start here. You must first pull points for the beginning of the ornament.
Check out this thread first.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...pulling+points

I think the easiest tubing to start with is the 25mm medium wall.....??

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-12-12, 7:07am
ManBearPig

The problem most people have when working tubing is working too hot. Remember, even if it's a 32 mm tube, the wall is at most 4mm thick, so you are only heating 4mm worth of glass. Work slower and cooler than you think you should. The tube just needs a dull orange glow to be able to blow it into shape.

Second, you need to make sure you heat the glass evenly. There is no trick to that. Just practice. If you don't heat it evenly, it won't blow out evenly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-12, 7:33am

thanks, guys - I was thinking something a little less foreign to my little bead brain - more like forming a hollow on the end of a steel tube and blowing without having it explode or become riddled with holes? Glass tubing is a whole new learning experience and I'd have to geek it all out (research it) before trying it! I am not even sure what the purpose of points are! All I know from tubing is a video I got about implosion beads. Sorry - baby steps, baby steps..
Old 2006-12-12, 7:43am
Detail G-Mama!

Tink makes some pretty ornaments! She dosen't use tubing either! I'd show ya mine but they turned into shards when I was working on them!

Old 2006-12-12, 7:58am
ManBearPig

Doing hollow forms on the end of tubing is the same principle. Work it slower and heat it consistently. And, when most people are learning to blow glass, they think they need to blow like they are blowing out birthday candles. That's way too hard. It's more along the lines of blowing an eyelash off someone's eye. Remember, when you heat glass it becomes liquid. It takes very little air pressure to make liquid move. And, you can always blow it out thinner. Thickening it back up is much more difficult.

Old 2006-12-12, 8:32am
Who me?

I got some of those 104 coe tubes from arrow springs and I'm waiting til after the Christmas rush to try pulling points and stuff. Keep this thread going and we'll compare notes.
Old 2006-12-12, 9:17am
all for the love of glass

Those are great guidelines Cosmo..I've been blowing shards for a while so have got into the habit of not caring about the shape. Now I'd like to do some holiday balls and need to slow down and work at evenly heating the glass...not so easy.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2006-12-13, 2:43pm
Always with a smile!

Thanks Cosmo,
too bad Roanoke isn't closer to Denver, I'd like to know more!
Jill

) and
)
Old 2006-12-13, 2:44pm
ManBearPig

I'm always up for a road trip if you have a place for me to teach...

Old 2006-12-14, 7:35am
Always with a smile!

I will suggest it to Glasscraft!

) and
)
Old 2006-12-14, 1:53pm

Here are some I did recently. I think it was Cosmo who posted how to pull points so I followed those directions. I used med. wall boro tubing and that was a first! It was so much fun and they are totally imperfectly perfect. I use a Betta with one concentrator so I was using a small flame. They were heated unevenly but I took it slow and made them as even as I could. I will definitely make more and thanks so much Chad for posting those instructions!!!

Rose

Last edited by Rose; 2007-06-17 at 5:37am.
Old 2006-12-14, 1:58pm

Those are beautiful! You have bigger cojones than I have! This was for an ornament exchange at a (new) neighborhood party. I'm the new guy. so I made this - I hope it is ok. You know how it is when you look at what you make and try to see it from someone else's eyes? I know it's not symmetrical. aargh. the party's tonight. I've run out of time.
Attached Images

Old 2006-12-14, 2:05pm

My gosh, that is absolutely beautiful! Honestly, you might get orders

Rose

Old 2006-12-14, 7:36pm
Dangerous Woman

I like it. How big are the beads?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-12-14, 10:10pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Hi Christy
That is beautiful, everyone will LOVE it!!! Imagine their surprise when you tell them you made it!!! I'll bet everyone will want them!!!
sue

Old 2006-12-15, 7:53am

Wow! Thanks - they did love it. Phew. The red bead was about 1 1/2 inches.