Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-29, 6:55am

Default Silver glass with different torches

I have been playing with the different kinds of silver glass. I like them all. They have such wonderful effects.
I am finding one big difference. The hotter your torch the harder it is to get wonderful effects.
I love my Barracuda. It is my torch of choice. I am using only the center fire when I work soft glass. BUT I am finding I get better results with silver glass from my minor and my mini CC. Any one else tested the glass on different torches?

I am wondering if the hotter torch is causing the silver to burn out a little? Or is the bead just hotter and I am not waiting long enough before I do the strike? I am watching the glow so I don't think that is the reason.

I also find the glass can produce the most beautiful mirror effects, especially when encased. But it can be burned out and disappear with too much heat.
I have my ideas of why but I am not an expert so I wanted to hear from anyone else that has tried this glass on different torches.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-11-29, 10:28am
ManBearPig

It's the flame chemistry that produces the reduction. Try working with a little more propane in the flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-29, 12:01pm

I am not having problems working the glass. In fact, I do not use a high propane flame until the end on the bead. I find that works best. My beads are coming out with wonderful irids and refections. I just find a mini CC works best with this glass.

What I was wondering if others had tried this glass on other torches, and seen the different results you get from using different torches.

Old 2006-11-29, 1:00pm

I was just doing this today. Except for my mini runs on NG and oxycons and the wildcat is on propane and tanked oxy. I made almost the same bead and I'm pretty sure the one made on the mini turned out with better redux effects but I won't find out for sure until later. I was using a couple of the silver glasses.

Old 2006-11-29, 4:49pm
Missing presumed fed

It may be a question of which you're most used to using. I can do Gaia like a dream on my Lynx, and can get decent effects from Kronos (original Kronos -- haven't tried the Kronos 2 yet). When I tried using the miniCC at Carlisle, I got squat. I tried all d**n day, and did everything I could think of with the flame, and with letting the beads cool, and introducing them at different places in the flame, and using tools or not using tools, and everything was bleah. Minimal if any effects, certainly nothing like what I'm used to getting. Until I saw that you used the miniCC, Heather, I was ready to ask if anyone got decent results with the silver glasses with one. For what it's worth, the miniCC was on propane and tanked oxy, and I've used my Lynx with propane and concentrators and with tanked oxy.
Old 2006-11-29, 6:27pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

I'm pretty sure Rocio just uses her cuda and she gets AWESOME results from that silver glass. I couldn't say as I haven't evr tried any of it, maybe someday I'll get around to it LOL.
chris ann
Old 2006-12-03, 10:30pm
Corgi Cult Member

I've worked on a Lynx with propane and a Betta with NG. I definately think there is a difference. It seems like I have to relearn "how" to get the reactions. I don't have much problem achieving the same color on smaller beads, but I've been making wine stoppers and the differences seem to show up more with the long working time.

Kathy

Old 2006-12-03, 11:09pm

While I agree with Chad's theory about the flame chemistry, I can't help but also agree with Kathy, in particular. I have a Phantom, and it can be a real stinker when it comes to getting reactions from silver glasses that can be stubborn to strike in the first place. I've tried this flame, that flame, and the other, followed instructions, tips, and what-have-you. I've held the mandrel here, there, and everywhere, and sometimes it simply isn't going to happen. In particular, the Lauscha Supernova is a true bugger that I can only get to react after I encase it, or if I use it with no other glass. I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but I really believe that for some of the glass, it's the torch.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2006-12-04, 2:41am

I tried something today with the double helix glass. I got so that I could strike a paddle of the glass instead of putting it on a bead first. Taught me a lot! My fav so far is the electra and the red you can strike it to. Also an oxygen rich flame cleans it right up and back to neutral to strike again and again. I am working on a lynx with propane and an OG15.
Jen
Old 2006-12-04, 6:00am

I again tried working on my mini CC and my cuda on the same day at the same time. I had both torches going at once.....LOL...
I almost always use my cuda. I maybe have 20-30 hours on my mini CC. I found my mini CC just got the colors to pop much faster then the colors popped on the cuda..... I think the softer the flame and the cooler the torch, the easier the soft glass with silver is to work??!! I find the opposite with boro.
I have also seen Rocio make her wonderful ghost beads. She works magic with her silver glass. Her husband Ron is the reason I am using a cuda in the first place. He told me how much I would love the piranha and the cuda.

Anyone else up for trying their other torches to see what results you get from working silver glass the same way on different torches?

Old 2006-12-06, 7:57am

Hey all,
for striking color effect you need a reduced flame with not so much oxygene. And in the glass chemistry there HAS to be silver, otherwise there will be no silvery shade on the surface on the pearl.
glass-diary
Old 2006-12-06, 8:18am
yukue fumei

Hi Heather!
I'll try it out. I have a minor and a Cheetah.
Just FYI...in Passing the Flame, Corina wrote that she got different effects from her two torches. I think she says she preferred the flame chemistry of the Minor to her Lynx for silver effects.

nagi

Old 2006-12-15, 10:01am

Hello Cosmo, you are right