Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-13, 12:14pm

Default long beads getting bubbles!

I am trying to work on winding long skinny beads, but keep getting monster bubbles that blow out and leave big holes... i just keep melting and adding more glass, but it takes forever, and ends up making the beads thicker than i wanted them. i am sure it is just some bad technique on my part... i've tried winding continuously just moving sideways down the mandrel, i've tried making lots of little spacers right next to each other, i don't know what else to try! help!

Melanie
Old 2006-12-13, 1:30pm

If you mean bubbles that come from the first layer of glass then you are not heating your bead release enough when winding the first layer of glass. Make sure that when applying that first layer the release glows slightly to get rid of the gases that form when you heat it.
Another cause for bubbles can be that you wind the second layer on an uneven surface and trap air in the ridges when covering them with another layer of glass. Just make sure to smooth each layer before adding the next. The same can happen if you make little spacers when you join them, if you trap air in-between.
Hope that helps.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Ebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2006-12-14, 10:52am

thanks Anne! it IS my first layer that's bubbling so badly... and i probably am not heating the mandrel enough. i am going to try that tonight.

Melanie