Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2008-12-20, 6:09pm

Default going green

Quote:
Forget you have a life and answer my email within 5 minutes. I don't care if it's Sunday or Labor Day

No, seriously, if there is a way of avoiding peanuts, I'm all for it. I don't care if my glass rods are broken (it's glass, it melts!!) but I don't know what to do with those huge bags of obnoxious peanuts. So, a green packaging option is a big plus for me
We have used recycled peanuts, new peanuts and we tried starch peanuts. They all work well for packing. Recylced was the least expensive way to go, new peanuts cost about 50% more and the starch ones were the most expensive. The starch peanuts when wet stuck to everyone's shoes and in Washington, it is wet more often then when it is dry.

I suggest that if you can not use the peanuts and you do not want to toss them into the garbage, just put them into a black trash bag. In your travels locally, you will find a company that ships and they would be happy to take them off your hands, and maybe even give you money for your bag.

But since this is a thread on Customer Service, I will again investigate what it would cost to go GREEN. We do not charge a packing fee, and we will continue to do so as long as we can, but also having a GREEN packing charge would be interesting. I would love to see how many would not mind paying more.

mike frantz

Mike Frantz

Frantz Art Glass Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Torch Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2008-12-20, 6:19pm

Default efficiency or deficiency?

Ok Loco, I do stand corrected, you are an efficiency expert! But being efficient, especially when packing glass and Mike's u-wear requires a control freak, but I love you just the same.

mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2008-12-21, 2:05am
Mom to 20 paws

1)- Good communication- if I email please dont take 2 weeks to get back to me. ACK

2) Photo's , description of glass or product

3) Options for shipping at good rates

4) No freakin peanuts- even shredded paper is better

5) Good bulk buying rates

6)A good selection

7) Definately real time stock of product. It is so frustrating when ordering and having it shipped long distances only to find out what you really needed they were out of.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Friendly people on the phone

9) Sales on products

10) a fast website with a cart that holds your items till you order

11) fast shipping of your order

Phew quite the list.

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2008-12-21, 7:16am

Good point on reusing the peanuts Mike.

I try to reuse packaging and probably have bags in my basement.
Old 2008-12-21, 8:59am
runs with pruning shears

I disagree with whomever said there is no perfect customer service...I guess whether you think that exists or not depends on how demanding you are. I will mention a couple of companies, but outside the glass arena: In my experience Amazon and Sierra trading both have perfect customer service- so much so that it would take quite a lot to dislodge me as a lifetime customer (the latter has a policy where they guarantee everything they sell for life, and will actually refund your money 10 years down the line if you are dissatisfied)- not, btw something I expect, but my point here is that they stand behind what they sell and guarantee the quality themselves. Amazon does something similar (though not for life
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) Once the PO mislaid or sent via a slower method, a christmas present I had ordered for one of my kids. Amazon put another on an airplane next day air, no charge, and told me to just refuse the first when it got there. They even compensate for thing (like the usps) which are out of their control. Both companies go above and beyond in trying to provide their customers the best possible experience. Like I said, I do not expect this level of service everywhere and will shop at places which do not provide such things... but those are the places I go to first when I need something they carry. I am actually even willing to pay a little more at Amazon, e.g. because I know it will get here fast and be backed by as no questions return policy.

By contrast; I have *entirely stopped shopping on ebay, do not even visit the site anymore because they are untrustworthy. That said *trust is a big factor*: will I be treated fairly & honestly, with respect? Do I feel like my money is vanishing into a black hole (ebay)?
Do I feel like I am being nicled & dimed to death?

To get back to the positive, there is a smaller seller who has a presence here who I would say has perfect customer service (and who I publicly commend every time I place an order, because it is always a positive experience),... in fact, I can even think of another small seller (who I first encountered on ebay, but who is now well known to the community because of his excellent customer service).

Some of what makes me say htis has already been brought up: friendliness, care with even small orders, treating the customer with respect, getting things out peomptly, not selling what you don't have, careful packing.

One thing I will mention, which I have not seen brought up yet is flexibility/ willingness to accomodate a customer's (reasonable) concerns.
In my case, shipping cost are an issue. Most orders can be shipped flat rate, and I am more likely to order from someone who will ship that way for me. I hate payin g more for shipping than glass. That happens every time an order is shipped fedex or ups- they are insanely expensive out here. I cancelled 2 orders in tha past few months because the sllers would not ship in a flat rate priority box. In one instance, I was getting the glass at great preices, almost a steal... but shipping would have been close to $50- not such a great deal anymore. In the other case. most of the order was dichro- high cost, light weight, could easily have gone sups for almost nothing- but seller would only ship ups.

I know it is more convenient for the seller- but if it runs my costs up hugley, I am not likely to place the order.

So Mike' if you are asking how Frantz could improve, that would be my only suggestion- be willing to use flat rate priority when it can reasonably be done.

You have great people working for you: nice, friendly, responsive.

I get confirmations at every step, am called or emailed if something is out of stock, if my order changes, or if I ask for a shipping estimate.
and, the couple of times there was something wrong (and they were small somethings), thery were fixed immediately.

I have no complaints with you guys... well, except that one.
I buy from Frantz a couple of times a year- usually put in my huge restocking orders with you....
But, the postage thing stops me from ordering when I just need a couple of things, or want to check out a new color.
Old 2008-12-21, 9:07am

Default Shredded Newsprint

Quote:
1)- Good communication- if I email please dont take 2 weeks to get back to me. ACK

2) Photo's , description of glass or product

3) Options for shipping at good rates

4) No freakin peanuts- even shredded paper is better

5) Good bulk buying rates

6)A good selection

7) Definately real time stock of product. It is so frustrating when ordering and having it shipped long distances only to find out what you really needed they were out of.

Friendly people on the phone

9) Sales on products

10) a fast website with a cart that holds your items till you order

11) fast shipping of your order

Phew quite the list.
I wish to just comment on the shredded paper because that is the first type of packing material we ever used. I remember driving to Seattle to purchase big bails of compressed shredded paper.

I remember our big packing boxes for full length rods. We had a box that was about 48 inches long and 12 inches by 12 inches and we would put the bundle of glass in the middle and pack with shredded paper and then ship. Not long after using this method we shipped a box and for some reason it came back and when we opened the box we found that the top eight inches of rods were exposed because as the box was moved around from our building onto a truck and then off a truck and tossed around, the newsprint settled. If we pack it tighter, then the shipping gets more expensive as the weight of the packing material grows, and if it is packed too tight, there is no space or give for cushioning the product as compressed paper becomes a tree again. I suppose that it would work for some types of packing, but the styro peanuts is the best method.

mike frantz

The Torch Website:

Old 2008-12-21, 9:12am
runs with pruning shears

I will add one other thing which is a killer for me? don't pass your junk onto your customers!

some years ago there was an awful batch of moretti clear. There are a couple of sellers who sent me that even when I specified vetrofond or Lauscha. I have a huge stock (upwards of 5 lbs) of awful clear

I will not buy from those sellers unless they have something I need that everyone else is out of.

Transparency, honesty- that's important.
I will note that I like that Frantz will note if glass is imperfect. Then if you buy it, you do so with knowledge that it might have bubbles or crud. I don't like paying for first quality and getting seconds. (just to make sure I am clear here, this is something Frantz does right.)

Last edited by pandora; 2008-12-21 at 9:14am.
Old 2008-12-21, 9:59am
Formerly known as LT

Mike, I really like how your company packages your glass. I have only had a handful of rods break in over 3 years. Even if the box itself has been run over, (and I think that has actually happened once or twice) the contence is still intact. I reuse all the useable packing material that I get in, thats my way of going green. When I get to much I share with others.

I really hope you won't have to add the extra for special packaging. One of the best things about your company is you don't tack on extra fees.

Old 2008-12-21, 12:50pm
da General

Good customer service is when you have NOT put a LIMIT (as in NOT sign or anything indicating such) on a particular glass color and a customer purchases a huge bundle, you do NOT make that customer put back all the glass except for 1/4 lb!!!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-21, 1:09pm

Adding in more...

Clean glass, as Mary noted.
When rods are cut, I'd really prefer they're cut to similar lengths. For myself, I can use any length, but if I resell them the studio near here, I need them to be consistent.
When rods are cut, no sharp edges - I get that it's glass, but an entire shipment from a supplier has a wicked sharp leftover edge on almost every piece, like a side of their cutter went bad.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-12-22, 2:53pm

Default I hate limiting

Quote:
Good customer service is when you have NOT put a LIMIT (as in NOT sign or anything indicating such) on a particular glass color and a customer purchases a huge bundle, you do NOT make that customer put back all the glass except for 1/4 lb!!!!!
I do not like to have a maximum weight on any color but there are two ways to think about it. One is is somebody wants all, let them have it and the other is sharing. If a customer really needs a pound when the limit is 1/4 pound to complete some order, then all they have to do is ask and we will try to work with them.

On the other hand when I was selling a color like RiverRock and was down to the last 44 pounds and said no limit, I bet somebody would have bought all of it and sold it for lots more than I do. Yes, I can consider myself the Glass Police, but I am just trying to make sure everybody gets some.

I wish I just had enough of every color so that we would never run out, but that just will never happen.

Thanks

Mike f

The Torch Website:

Old 2008-12-22, 3:02pm

Default razor edges

Quote:
Adding in more...

Clean glass, as Mary noted.
When rods are cut, I'd really prefer they're cut to similar lengths. For myself, I can use any length, but if I resell them the studio near here, I need them to be consistent.
When rods are cut, no sharp edges - I get that it's glass, but an entire shipment from a supplier has a wicked sharp leftover edge on almost every piece, like a side of their cutter went bad.
There are a number of different ways that I have seen glass cut.

Method 1: cut each rod with a glass nipper. If the nipper is in good shape
you will get a nice clean cut, but each day at Frantz we cut
around 220 pounds and that is almost 1,500 cuts per day and
that would destroy the hands and wrists of our employee
quickly, causing pain and a claim with L&I.

Method 2: Lay the rods on a table and score them with a sheet
glass cutter and then snap them. This leaves a glass cut
that looks very nice until you get to the very end of the rod
and then you have the jagged sharp edge.

Method 3: This is the method we use. We use a diamond water saw
it cuts straight, no damage to the employee. After cutting
we dip the rod into water for cleaning. There is one drawback
to this method. That is that the end of the rod where the cut
is. The end is not smooth and it will trap air bubbles in your
bead. If this happens when you lampwork, you can stop it
by heating the end and pulling the front off and then there
will be no bubble problem.

Thanks
mike frantz

The Torch Website:

Old 2008-12-22, 3:38pm
da General

Quote:
I do not like to have a maximum weight on any color but there are two ways to think about it. One is is somebody wants all, let them have it and the other is sharing. If a customer really needs a pound when the limit is 1/4 pound to complete some order, then all they have to do is ask and we will try to work with them.

On the other hand when I was selling a color like RiverRock and was down to the last 44 pounds and said no limit, I bet somebody would have bought all of it and sold it for lots more than I do. Yes, I can consider myself the Glass Police, but I am just trying to make sure everybody gets some.

I wish I just had enough of every color so that we would never run out, but that just will never happen.

Thanks

Mike f
I have NO issue with vendors setting limits on glass AHEAD of time. BUT if a customer is in the process of purchasing the glass (as in one of your staff has already written the receipt out and ready to run the credit card through) when there is NO limit posted at the time, taking the glass away from your customer at the time is, IMHO, bad customer service!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-22, 5:04pm

I agree with the packaging thing and the peanut issue. We now have to pay extra for our garbage removal and every extra garbage bag costs me almost 5 bucks. I won't be ordering any glass for awhile because of this, as I know at this time of year the garbage piles up. I try to recycle every thing, but they will not take peanuts, period. I never have a use for them and around here, driving up to a shipping place and offering your garbage bag full of peanuts to them, will get you shot nowadays...

I also agree with the back order issue. I don't like it when I find out later, by that I mean when I get the other things on my order but one or more items are missing. I freak out, as I begin to think that the missing items where lost in transit.

Tell me before shipping the order incomplete and keep me up to date as to when the backordered items will be shipped. I don't mind waiting, but I want to be kept in the loop.

I don't call, so having a VALID email that is checked on a regular basis and messages returned at least within a week is appreciated as well.

Last edited by DianaDesigns; 2008-12-22 at 5:08pm. Reason: watch out for the spelling police
Old 2008-12-22, 5:28pm

Quote:
I have NO issue with vendors setting limits on glass AHEAD of time. BUT if a customer is in the process of purchasing the glass (as in one of your staff has already written the receipt out and ready to run the credit card through) when there is NO limit posted at the time, taking the glass away from your customer at the time is, IMHO, bad customer service!!!
That would make you the BUBBLE! Ok, maybe you do not know what the BUBBLE is but in poker tournaments they may have 500 people starting a poker tournament and when you have no more chips, you need to leave. In some poker tournaments they will pay the last 100 people, the closer you get to the last person standing, the more money you get. The person who is 101 is called THE BUBBLE, just missed out in getting into the money.

While there are some difference between selling glass and poker, I will explain. When we had our awful website, it was connected to our website and when we sold the last item the software would tell the website to say that there is no other of that color available. When we got rid of our website we replaced it with a friendlier website, but to keep our inventory on the website correct takes us updating as we sell items. Sometimes when we run out, we might be able to update the website within minutes, but sometimes because of how busy we are or how bad somebody might be doing their job, the updated info about being out of stock might take a few hours or possible days!

We are going to try to be more pro active on this. One thing we might try to do is when we get down to the last 5 or 10 pounds, just call it out of stock, even if we have some.

I totally agree, when you see we have it and then say you can only a little, it does cause problems for our customers. I do not know exactly what colors you are talking about, but if you were to order 1 pound and we say you can only have 1/4 pound is not the same as if you wanted 10 pounds and then we say you can only have 1/4 pound.

In cases where you have ordered 1 pound and were told you could only have 1/4 pound, talk to our sales department and explain what happened.

I apologize and just want you to know that we are doing our best to fix this problem. Of course in some cases you could be pro active and order it before we get down to minimums.

At one time there was no limit on Streaky Pink, we had started with around 440 pounds and the price was around $20 per pound. When we were at ISGB in Portland we did have a limit of one pound for Frosty Blue at $20 per pound. Supply and Demand have alot to do with availability.

thanks for your comments

mike frantz

The Torch Website:

Last edited by mikefrantz; 2008-12-22 at 5:34pm.
Old 2008-12-22, 5:55pm

Default fixing the problems

[quote=DianaDesigns;2272823]I agree with the packaging thing and the peanut issue. We now have to pay extra for our garbage removal and every extra garbage bag costs me almost 5 bucks. I won't be ordering any glass for awhile because of this, as I know at this time of year the garbage piles up. I try to recycle every thing, but they will not take peanuts, period. I never have a use for them and around here, driving up to a shipping place and offering your garbage bag full of peanuts to them, will get you shot nowadays I thought that guns were only used in Canada for shooting animals, not people. What part of Canada do you live in. Excuse me, but it sound like you are saying that since you gather too many peanuts you will not buy any more glass and then stop making beads. I do not know what size order you buy and from who, but if you were to order 5 pounds of glass 12 times a year, you might have enough peanuts to fill ONE bag, that comes to $.48 per month for peanut removal. Of course if you live in a tent or mobil home, then the peanuts might take up too much room.

I also agree with the back order issue. I don't like it when I find out later, by that I mean when I get the other things on my order but one or more items are missing. I freak out, as I begin to think that the missing items where lost in transit.I can only speak for Frantz Art Glass. Each shipment has an invoice and it might say you ordered a pound but if you look at the column on the right, if we did not ship it, it will not be charged. Not sure how others deal with this.

Tell me before shipping the order incomplete and keep me up to date as to when the backordered items will be shipped. I don't mind waiting, but I want to be kept in the loop.At Frantz we call each customer when we can not supply that particular color. This can cause a problem since sometimes we can not reach a customer and the delay in shipping can be a problem for our customer. For that reason we are going to be putting a bigger effort into having "Real Time Inventory" as best we can by doing it manually.

I don't call, so having a VALID email that is checked on a regular basis and messages returned at least within a week is appreciated.

Thank you for your comments. I do have one question, if you do not want peanuts, what would or has anybody used in the past to ship without peanuts?

Sincerely

Mike Frantz

The Torch Website:

Old 2008-12-22, 6:09pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I've used newspaper... it's heavy and you can't have the cheapest shipping and not use peanuts. So, if you want to pay extra for me to ship my old newspaper just tell me in the commments sections at checkout, but realize it's adding weight to the box and you'll have to pay more for shipping. I have and will do that for anyone who asks me to.

Old 2008-12-22, 7:50pm

Quote:
There are a number of different ways that I have seen glass cut.

Method 1: cut each rod with a glass nipper. If the nipper is in good shape
you will get a nice clean cut, but each day at Frantz we cut
around 220 pounds and that is almost 1,500 cuts per day and
that would destroy the hands and wrists of our employee
quickly, causing pain and a claim with L&I.

Method 2: Lay the rods on a table and score them with a sheet
glass cutter and then snap them. This leaves a glass cut
that looks very nice until you get to the very end of the rod
and then you have the jagged sharp edge.

Method 3: This is the method we use. We use a diamond water saw
it cuts straight, no damage to the employee. After cutting
we dip the rod into water for cleaning. There is one drawback
to this method. That is that the end of the rod where the cut
is. The end is not smooth and it will trap air bubbles in your
bead. If this happens when you lampwork, you can stop it
by heating the end and pulling the front off and then there
will be no bubble problem.

Thanks
mike frantz
Thank you for the explanation - your cuts have always been lovely and evenly spaced.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-12-22, 8:12pm
Ezzy

Good customer service entails contacting someone when you've told them you will check into something then get back to them.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2008-12-22, 8:45pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
I had something similar happen too. I saw on the website that glass was in stock so I ordered ¼lb. Finished my order and paid. I got an email back saying they only had 1lb of that glass and would I choose something else. WTF? I chose another color but I was steamed from then on. Oh and also, when I order frit its not ok to just throw something else in because you are out, especially with no communication about it..

That is NOT good customer service and I rarely (if I ever do again) trade with that vendor anymore.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-12-22, 8:53pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
I had something similar happen too. I saw on the website that glass was in stock so I ordered ¼lb. Finished my order and paid. I got an email back saying they only had 1lb of that glass and would I choose something else. WTF? I chose another color but I was steamed from then on. Oh and also, when I order frit its not ok to just throw something else in because you are out, especially with no communication about it..

That is NOT good customer service and I rarely (if I ever do again) trade with that vendor anymore.

I don't get it... if they had 1lb then why didn't they send the 1/4lb you ordered? Now if you had ordered 1 1/4lb then I understand, they didn't have all you wanted... but to turn down a paid order if you have the item in stock is lame. Sorry, I rarely post about things like that but I just think it's weird.

Old 2008-12-22, 9:14pm

Quote:
I don't get it... if they had 1lb then why didn't they send the 1/4lb you ordered? Now if you had ordered 1 1/4lb then I understand, they didn't have all you wanted... but to turn down a paid order if you have the item in stock is lame. Sorry, I rarely post about things like that but I just think it's weird.
Have you ever walked into a great resturant and saw a waitress walk by with the special of the night, and it looks real good and you have your belly all set on it, only to be told by the waitress that was the last one?

What if she said you could not have one cause there was only one left?

I guess the seller of the glass should have said there was none left rather than say there was some left but you were not getting any. Of course it could have been something they forgot to tell us like it was for somebody else, but never-the-less, when you want it and can not get it, you end up
disappointed!

Mike Frantz

The Torch Website:

Old 2008-12-22, 9:27pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
I guess the seller of the glass should have said there was none left rather than say there was some left but you were not getting any. Of course it could have been something they forgot to tell us like it was for somebody else, but never-the-less, when you want it and can not get it, you end up
disappointed!

Mike Frantz
Thats the ticket. Had I been told there was none left and it was a mistake on the website I would have been none the wiser....I should have been lied to. lol At least it would have spared my disappointment and not angered me.

I didn't "get it" either Zen-mom.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-12-22, 9:57pm
da General

Quote:
I totally agree, when you see we have it and then say you can only a little, it does cause problems for our customers. I do not know exactly what colors you are talking about, but if you were to order 1 pound and we say you can only have 1/4 pound is not the same as if you wanted 10 pounds and then we say you can only have 1/4 pound.

In cases where you have ordered 1 pound and were told you could only have 1/4 pound, talk to our sales department and explain what happened.

I apologize and just want you to know that we are doing our best to fix this problem. Of course in some cases you could be pro active and order it before we get down to minimums.

mike frantz
Quote:

You know - I wasn't going to post about this but you asked!

It was NOT a website order. It was in person at the Gathering Tech Vendor. I had a big bundle of Nessi Ice coz there was NO limit sign up – probably about 8 lbs coz someone here on LE asked me to get some for her as well. I was in the process of paying for the glass when I was asked if the glass could be shipped to me instead since there was more back at the store. When I asked if I would get the same quantity shipped, I couldn't get an affirmative answer. Then I was simply told that I could only have two wee bundles of three rods each!!!!! After the glass was put back in the bin, there was still NO sign put up limiting quantity!!!!

I should have made a scene but I WAS SO SHOCKED at the BAD customer service that I just paid for the glass and walked away.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-12-22 at 10:00pm.
Old 2008-12-23, 8:16am

Default fess up

Quote:
You know - I wasn't going to post about this but you asked!

It was NOT a website order. It was in person at the Gathering Tech Vendor. I had a big bundle of Nessi Ice coz there was NO limit sign up – probably about 8 lbs coz someone here on LE asked me to get some for her as well. I was in the process of paying for the glass when I was asked if the glass could be shipped to me instead since there was more back at the store. When I asked if I would get the same quantity shipped, I couldn't get an affirmative answer. Then I was simply told that I could only have two wee bundles of three rods each!!!!! After the glass was put back in the bin, there was still NO sign put up limiting quantity!!!!

I should have made a scene but I WAS SO SHOCKED at the BAD customer service that I just paid for the glass and walked away.
Well I will have to fess up to that, abecause that was Frantz Art Glass, Mike Frantz, the Glass Cop. For those of you who have never done a trade show, there is so much to do to prepare and set up and nothing goes 100% right.

Let me first say about Nessi, is a nice color, some think it is great and there really was no Nessi Color, Nessi was a small part of an other Effetre COOL color that reacted unique. Of the 400 pounds of (I think) Blue Lagoon, there was maybe 10 or 15 pounds of Nessi.

I think that it was exciting enough to be the next RARE color, but instead of hoarding it, I offered it at a fair price, but failed to put a maximum out. Maybe I forgot to put one out on that color, perhaps I did not think somebody would buy it all. But in any case I am a person that wants to share the color with everyone. I should have just said "I am sorry, but this is all you can have and not have promised you more cause that was a mistake." I do apologize that you did not get what you want, and I know that you are a very talented beadmaker and saw the value of it and I did not handle it correctly, and that will happen from time to time.

This is not the only time I have had issues at trade shows, it will not be my last mistake I make, but I try my best and try to learn from my mistakes.

Sincerly

Mike Frantz

The Torch Website:

Old 2008-12-23, 12:59pm
It's for Fun.

Cool Now This is Customer Service!!

It's just for a laugh.
Don't get Angry.

Old 2008-12-23, 1:34pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Mike! Was that before or after you spent the day with my hubby?

Old 2008-12-23, 4:42pm

[quote=mikefrantz;2272920]
Quote:
I agree with the packaging thing and the peanut issue. We now have to pay extra for our garbage removal and every extra garbage bag costs me almost 5 bucks. I won't be ordering any glass for awhile because of this, as I know at this time of year the garbage piles up. I try to recycle every thing, but they will not take peanuts, period. I never have a use for them and around here, driving up to a shipping place and offering your garbage bag full of peanuts to them, will get you shot nowadays I thought that guns were only used in Canada for shooting animals, not people. What part of Canada do you live in. Excuse me, but it sound like you are saying that since you gather too many peanuts you will not buy any more glass and then stop making beads. I do not know what size order you buy and from who, but if you were to order 5 pounds of glass 12 times a year, you might have enough peanuts to fill ONE bag, that comes to $.48 per month for peanut removal. Of course if you live in a tent or mobil home, then the peanuts might take up too much room.

I also agree with the back order issue. I don't like it when I find out later, by that I mean when I get the other things on my order but one or more items are missing. I freak out, as I begin to think that the missing items where lost in transit.I can only speak for Frantz Art Glass. Each shipment has an invoice and it might say you ordered a pound but if you look at the column on the right, if we did not ship it, it will not be charged. Not sure how others deal with this.

Tell me before shipping the order incomplete and keep me up to date as to when the backordered items will be shipped. I don't mind waiting, but I want to be kept in the loop.At Frantz we call each customer when we can not supply that particular color. This can cause a problem since sometimes we can not reach a customer and the delay in shipping can be a problem for our customer. For that reason we are going to be putting a bigger effort into having "Real Time Inventory" as best we can by doing it manually.

I don't call, so having a VALID email that is checked on a regular basis and messages returned at least within a week is appreciated.

Thank you for your comments. I do have one question, if you do not want peanuts, what would or has anybody used in the past to ship without peanuts?

Sincerely

Mike Frantz
Forgive me if I am wrong, but in your first post you asked for generalization, not naming names so I assumed that the suggestions did not have to be from a Frantz ordering point of view.

I was being general, none of the issues I have had are from Frantz as I have never ordered from you.

No I do not live in a tent or mobile home as a matter of fact I live in a very nice detached house, in a highly sought out area, which makes my taxes almost impossible to pay. The addition of this garbage tax grab as an extra on my water bill, is a total of over 200 dollars a year extra just for the bin, THEN if I have an extra bag that doens't fit in the BIN, they charge me an additional 5 bucks per bag. In total I pay over 600 dollars a year to have the city take away my trash, without any extra bags.

People around here, including businesses are really pissed off at this new garbage tax robbery, it is not a viable solution to try and pawn off my peanuts on anyone.

Now again forgive me, but why should I pay to throw away peanuts, which are harmful to the environment and would end up costing me more in the end anyway and when there are other solutions for companies to use out there. Rhetorical. If you don't want to offer other solutions and feel its best to still use styro peanuts, that is up to you.

As for the amount of peanuts. I can show you a picture of a shipment I got for one book, 1/4 pound of glass and a book of silver foil, sent in a GIANT box, stuffed full of peanuts, that filled a large size garbage bag. This is wasteful and I paid for that! Yes I paid 20 bucks to have that order shipped when I know for a FACT, the size could have been smaller, therefore costing less. Oh and when I looked at the postage amount, the company only paid 14.75...again I really did not balk at that as much as I did the wasteful nature.

Again not talking Frantz here, but then again you did not say you wanted to hear specifics in regards to your own company.

The company I deal with now, ships using bubble wrapped glass, and the stuffing is recycled, light weight paper, NOT newspaper. They offer discounted shipping on orders over a certain dollar amount, so I wait and make one large order as opposed to many smaller orders, if I can that is.

Personally, I will pay more for shipping if they use recycled paper or material that can be recycled. I do not want the styro peanuts as they not only fill up land fills needlessly, but they cause a lot of pollution during the manufacturing process and I as the end user end up paying to dispose of them.

You sounded annoyed at my post. Sorry to have annoyed you, but you did ask a General question, in order to help you give better customer service and possibly avoid making the same errors others have.

Carry on. I am out.
Old 2008-12-23, 4:53pm
"Sinners have soul too"

What kind of light weight paper? Just curious, the only thing I can think of is tissue?
BTW, I have a green ship option on my website... corrugated paper instead of bubble wrap and water soluble peanuts... still, because I have to purchase this stuff it's an "extra" added onto the regular shipping fee.

Old 2008-12-23, 8:39pm
da General

Quote:
perhaps I did not think somebody would buy it all.

For the record - I did NOT buy it all. There were MORE than 8 lbs of glass available. LOTS of other people who saw me taking the glass from the bin got MORE of that glass than I did for their glass were NOT TAKEN AWAY!

|
|
|
|