Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Do you like the leaky pen and gellys pink colors?
LOVE em! 214 66.25%
Yuck!! 14 4.33%
Havent tried them,but they look cool! 95 29.41%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-06-03, 6:08pm

Leaky Pen is one of my FAVORITE colors!! The only aspect of it that I don't like it that it's extremely stiff -- stiffer than any soft glass I've ever used. I have yet to be successful encasing anything with it.

Here are some beads I made using it:

image]

Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by beadgoodies; 2008-06-03 at 6:13pm.
Old 2008-06-03, 6:18pm

Um, I lied about the encasing. It's not my normal way of encasing. To encase with Leaky Pen, I've found the best way is to pull it into stringer first and then just wrap that around a base bead. Applying a big blob of it over a base and then letting it melt over it, doesn't work -- at least not for me.

Candy

Old 2008-07-30, 3:38pm

I love gelly, sangre, clockwork(though I burnt out my first bead, have learnt now to heat it gently) celadon, peacock but my favourite is thai orchid I love that so much. I really liked gelly over periwinkle(moretti) in dots, makes the whole bead look kinda lilacy? can't remember which is the opal out of celadon and peacock offhand but whichever one it is I put it on thai orchid and it looked great, I put thai orchid on it and it gobbled it up! maybe was just too hot, will play some more cos the colour was yum.

www.madelinebunyan.com
Old 2008-08-01, 9:07pm
Dangerous Woman

I put some silver plum shards on the Thai orchid and it looked great!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-08-14, 11:30am

Gelly pink and rubino....mmm....

Goodies on

More on

Old 2008-08-14, 11:57am

CIM has some of favorite colors I love to use. Sangre, gelly pink, rose quartz and celadon.

gelly pink

rose quartz

sangre

celadon

Here are a variety of beads I made using some of the CIM colors.

Debbie
Old 2008-08-17, 6:24am
Lover of all things color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Kelly, our testing shows different annealing temperatures for each color. You should be fine at 960 with Gelly's Sty:

Gelly’s Sty 950
Ginger 1010
Celadon 1030
Butter Pecan 1050
Bordello 940
Leaky Pen 980

Kevan, gorgeous work! Your photo really captured that issue I was talking about - the body of the piece maintains that bright pink hue, and the arms where Gelly's Sty is used as dots loses some of its saturated pink-ness.
So, if I'm making beads with all of these different glasses, not on the same bead but different ones, would I set the annealer at the highest temp? Is that ok for the beads that anneal at the lower temps? (newbie at annealing)

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-08-17, 8:29pm

I am super late to the party. I just got some leaky pen. I really like it. Here it is over dirty martini (which I LOVE). The photos stink. SIGH
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-08-23, 8:48pm
Renee Weaver

This vessel is made with leaky pen as the base, it's one of my favorite vessels. My rods like to boil easy too, I have to work cool and patient.

The black is hades.

Old 2008-09-07, 11:25am
Disconnected

Ha Lara! You too discovered the power of the Martini-Leaky combination!! Isn't that magic??

Old 2008-09-07, 6:15pm

Yup! I love it! Here is another Martini-Pen combo. the raised designs are that on a base of Simple Berry Unique over Glacier
Attached Images

Old 2008-09-08, 4:51am
Glass my new Obsession

OMG I love the Leaky/Martini combo.I made some beads with it last night.

Old 2008-09-12, 6:31pm

Ok Honey where are your pictures! Isn't it a great combo

Old 2008-12-16, 10:05pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

jealous now I love these colors!!!! I have only used one of the peacock green uniques and my handmade copper ruby latticino I love the color though like ancient roman glass! I also love Lapis unique and heffalump (forgot about those) I am getting lots of colors for xmas so I will have fun playing!!!! can't find the file so I will post tomorrow!

Old 2008-12-17, 7:50pm

Hey, no teasing like that, you have to show some picture.

Old 2009-01-30, 4:07pm

So - what do we do if we want to use one of the colors with higher annealing temps with a Vetrofond or Effetre color? Or should we just not put them together?
Old 2009-03-06, 2:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by villa design View Post
Leaky pen and Ginger are my fav colors. I haven't had time to play with their new colors yet.
Ditto!!!
steph
Old 2009-03-08, 8:56am

Ah ha. this explains a lot!

I had 10 very large focals crack after 3 weeks in the store. I am sure that all of them had a mixture of leaky pen and moretti, annealed at 960.

I can no longer keep track of all these differences in annealing temps for certain colors, what not to use with whatever.

Seems its all getting very confusing. I think I will stick with what I know and forget the rest. What I don't understand is how can one say that ALL colors are compatible with all 104 moretti BUT it needs to be annealed at a much higher temp than moretti glass can stand. That to me means these colors are NOT compatible.

I got a headache.

J
Old 2009-04-24, 6:37pm

I'm having trouble with leaky pen bubbling up really bad. I love the color though. Does it need to be worked color in the flame? I'm on a cricket if that makes any difference. Thanks. Elaina
Old 2009-06-02, 4:29pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Here's some leaky pen that I applied over clear.

I know I have some Gelly's pink beads somewhere....

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2009-06-02, 5:01pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I found it!!

Gelly pink on moretti white.

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2009-12-23, 5:32pm

You can get the leaky pen color from BE's aquamarine blue and a less saturated version in #1444-I think it's called seablue. It's all tested compatible, has only one annealing temp and it's made in America not China.
Old 2010-01-03, 11:17am
Jacqueline Parkes

Who makes 1444- 1? I do not recognize that number for bullseye and yes BE's Aquamarine is very similar and quite beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psor View Post
You can get the leaky pen color from BE's aquamarine blue and a less saturated version in #1444-I think it's called seablue. It's all tested compatible, has only one annealing temp and it's made in America not China.

Old 2010-01-04, 9:35am

Oops! That's "#1444-hyphen- I think....." No 1 after the #1444. It is one of BE's Special Production rods and not yet in their regular line. The availability of these colors fluxuates and they are only available directly from BE.

Last edited by psor; 2010-01-04 at 9:36am. Reason: typo
Old 2010-01-13, 9:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONEYBUNNY72_99 View Post
Leaky Pen makes a pretty stringer when you encase white with it!
I was just going to post the same thing...I was asked to make a really light denim scroll on a bead and only had dense blues so I encased white with leaky pen and pulled into a stringer....the same way you did and it looked sooo nice! The stringer also got a nice reaction around the edges when applied over ivory.
Old 2011-10-26, 9:26am
Dani

Love Leaky Pen! No pictures but wanted to add that I love most CIM colors. Favorite is Sangre. I have been practicing Kerri's Scroll tutorial and used Sangre as a base for Iris Orange and it was beautiful! Too bad I messed up the scroll work. Oh and Clockwork is a great base for silver glass and so is Great Bluedini ( I think that is how it is spelled)
All of my life I have been searching for that thing that I cannot stand not to do, something that pulls me to it daily.Naturally when I finally find that thing that does indeed draw me to it (like a moth to a flame) It would of course have to involve explosive & toxic materials, fire and hot molten glass

Old 2011-10-26, 9:29am
Dani

Default Love!

Love Leaky Pen! No pictures but wanted to add that I love most CIM colors. Favorite is Sangre. I have been practicing Kerri's Scroll tutorial and used Sangre as a base for Iris Orange and it was beautiful! Too bad I messed up the scroll work. Oh and Clockwork is a great base for silver glass and so is Great Bluedini ( I think that is how it is spelled) I used it under Triton and Psyche and it was yummy.
All of my life I have been searching for that thing that I cannot stand not to do, something that pulls me to it daily.Naturally when I finally find that thing that does indeed draw me to it (like a moth to a flame) It would of course have to involve explosive & toxic materials, fire and hot molten glass

Old 2012-04-15, 12:54am
Ad astra per aspera

News flash! Encase the darkest transparent Effetre grass green with Leaky Pen. What a luscious teal color! (Okay, not quite teal but something in that neighborhood.) It makes really cool stringer, anyway.

I'm not a "pink person" but Gelly's pink is my favorite for painting flowers and girly canes.

Old 2013-05-02, 3:31pm
Slogan Challenged...

What a good tip, Karen. I might try that with ink blue as it is quite similar. I've become quite fond of teal lately, it's hard to find.

Facebook:

Etsy: