Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-21, 3:18pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Default Lauscha Super Nova

Has anyone had any luck using Super Nova from Lauscha? Any tips, pics or suggestions? Thanks.

Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-21, 3:43pm

Jack,
Check this thread. Supernova was the first Color of the Month glass.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ight=supernova

Kay
Old 2012-08-21, 4:04pm

The best luck I had all by itself was a hollow. I think the pic is long gone.
I use it as a base for other silver glass. Lay some down on the mandrel and then lay down some more in a reducing flame, layer some other silver glass on top or even silvered stringer. Silvered transparents are nice.

It works well as a base for silver glass twists too. I'll use Super Nova as a base and add stripes of other reducing silver glass. Depending on how you use it, you'll see some purple without the brown that most opaque purples get when reduced. I use quite a bit of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-21, 4:05pm

the best luck i've had was to pull stringers and then apply in a reducing flame.
Old 2012-08-21, 9:46pm

Firelady has two tutorials on her website. I got good results adding rubino over silver and then encasing.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-08-21, 10:49pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post
Has anyone had any luck using Super Nova from Lauscha? Any tips, pics or suggestions? Thanks.

Jack
Personally I wasn't a fan at all. I just used it up as a base for silver glass beads. LCOTMC....memories....

Old 2012-08-22, 12:31am
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Personally I wasn't a fan at all. I just used it up as a base for silver glass beads. LCOTMC....memories....
Oh Good Lord...
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2012-08-22, 1:20am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thanks for the replies and the link! It's much appreciated. Any more suggestions?

Jack

Old 2012-08-22, 5:24am

oh, shards. use it as a base for shards. i almost forgot.

i used supernova, with some DH luna2 and a little pandora. they came out great, just a little too thick but that was my fault.
Old 2012-08-22, 8:10am

I also saw a series of TAG 104 colors done on SuperNova and they were to die for...

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-08-22, 9:05am

Storm it and use it over dark base colours (or itself).

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-08-22, 11:21am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalorlo View Post
Storm it and use it over dark base colours (or itself).
There ya go. I bet it's really pretty stormed.

Old 2012-08-22, 11:58am

I had a photo somewhere...

(These are from a while ago)

It storms to yellow-green-blue so if you use it over light colours it will look washed out and green, but dark colours will show it up.

I imploded stormed supernova in this one:

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-08-22, 12:30pm
Storm Queen

Very cool!

Old 2012-08-22, 3:05pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Kevan made it sing. She's the only person I knew that could.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-08-22, 4:48pm
Senior Moment

Love it! Turns out it likes to be reduced BEFORE it goes on the mandrel or as decor (and you can reduce further afterwards as well):
Attached Images

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2012-08-22, 6:01pm

Pretty....

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-08-23, 5:14am

Jack.......I got best results with thin layers of Super Nova.
You need a bit patience and a few more cycles of reduction.
Super Nova also likes to be encased.

This is Super Nova on Lauscha dark red encased with Lauscha clear.

Good luck!
Elke
Old 2012-08-23, 5:19am

WOW!!
Old 2012-08-23, 8:00am

Those are lovely! I never got anything from reducing it normally, but it was quite a long time ago that I tried.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-08-23, 11:43am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Beautiful beads Elke & Heather!!! Thank you everyone that replied!!! I just got my order from Paula, (THANK YOU), so now I'm off to the torch!!

Jack

Last edited by J&M; 2012-08-23 at 11:45am. Reason: spelling
Old 2012-08-23, 11:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post
Beautiful beads Elke & Heather!!! Thank you everyone that replied!!! I just got my order from Paula, (THANK YOU), so now I'm off to the torch!!

Jack
Either we get to see pics or I come over and raid your finished stash!!

Dweezil
Old 2012-08-23, 12:08pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

You can have a rod if you like my dear. I won't even charge you!!

(They're about 10mm)

Jack

Old 2012-08-24, 6:04am

Please show us what you come up with Jack!!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-08-27, 4:08pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Here's what I came up with so far. I found it very tough to get a good reduction, even after many tries. You really have to reduce the hell out of it... just in the very back of the flame and even just outside of the reduction flame. It starts to come alive with the introduction of silver foil and/or another silver glass. I used Terranova frit in a few of these and foil in all of them. It DID start to show some lighter blue "wisps" and ambers through repeated strikes and reductions. I'll keep trying other variations and post results as soon as I can.

Jack

Old 2012-08-31, 8:19pm
Senior Moment

Some other SuperNova beads (sorry bout the horrible pics):

Hades base, Supernova stringer, brass frit & clear encasing
Name:  IMG_4724-1.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  42.1 KB

Supernova over Rubino
Name:  IMG_4701-1.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  30.5 KB

Supernova stringer over Psyche, clear encasing
Name:  IMG_4718-1.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  51.2 KB

All the Supernova was reduced BEFORE it went on the bead (melted it in a reduction flame), then reduced again after placement. It also likes to be encased.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2012-09-02, 3:33pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thanks for the help and those are beautiful beads!

Jack