Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-12-26, 3:06pm

Default Swizzle sticks

I have been asked to try to make some swizzle sticks. I work with boro and am not sure they won't break when using them to stir drinks. Anyone know if it's possible? Doesn't the glass need to be tempered instead of just annealed? And tempering requires chemicals, I believe. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2015-12-27, 11:53am
Borovangelist

You're just making glass stir rods. I think the lab ones are only around 5mm, so have at it.

Annealing is fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2015-12-27, 12:00pm
Loving learning

I recently fixed some for a friend that had some with the decoration at the top broken off. They appeared to be 104 to me. She said she bought them while on vacation somewhere.
Old 2015-12-28, 12:44pm

Yes, it's definitely possible. I made some with small marbles on top but the stick kinda bowed when I struck and annealed them. Not too many thankfully. If you have bits on top that aren't flat I recommend propping with some furniture and/or blanket.

Old 2015-12-28, 2:27pm
I fart diamonds

I've made hundreds if them. Just regular 6mm clear, annealed as usual. They hold up just fine.

(The animals are soft glass and attached to boro sticks with epoxy. The marbles are all boro.)

Old 2015-12-29, 5:51am

Thanks for the help. With the clear 66 mm rods do you just put them in the kiln without working them in the flame first? Thanks again for all the comments.
Old 2015-12-29, 7:34am

Those are darling Shawnette - love the marble ones especially
Old 2015-12-29, 7:53am
ManBearPig

Tempering just involves heat and air. No chemicals.

But as for swizzle sticks, I would at least heat them up and round the ends off. You can then put them in the kiln. Honestly if you aren't doing anything to them except just rounding the ends, I would do a whole batch of them and round the ends of them and just leave them on the bench. Then put the whole batch into the kiln at one time. It would save time and energy for your kiln.

Old 2015-12-29, 10:13am

Thanks. I wasn't sure if you had to get the rod hot before placing in the kiln. And I wasn't too sure of the temperature of the kiln and annealing time. Those are so cute that are pictured. Mine will be much simpler. Thanks for all the good help.
Old 2016-01-02, 9:04am

Default Boro only...

I have made a bunch of these.....
Attached Images

Old 2016-01-07, 11:42am

Wow. These are so pretty. Thanks for sharing.