Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-06-05, 3:04am
what's a senior moment ?

Default Do You Wear a Face Mask at all times when torching ?

Geesh, it should read DO you wear a face mask.............

If you do, what filters for fumes, gas, etc. do you use ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dla; 2013-06-05 at 3:12am.
Old 2013-06-05, 5:00am
I fart diamonds

No. I have a couple of masks that I purchased for using with powders but I never use powder, so the masks are unused. I have 3M particulate disposables and a large one with replaceable filters for fumes and particles. I don't remember the exact model but it's the type that is used in auto painting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-06-05, 2:34pm

definitely not! assuming that you have adequate room ventilation, why would you wear one at all times?
Old 2013-06-05, 3:00pm
Wonder-wench

I have one only for when using enamel powders, otherwise I rely on my ventilation system.

Old 2013-06-05, 4:33pm
Salt Box Beads

Yes! All of the time. I have sensitive skin, sinuses, eyes and lungs. I have excellent ventilation. I always wear a full or half mask so that I don't have any issues.

After I found out what fumes are produced when melting glass
I wouldn't torch without a P100 filter...ever.

Adequate ventilation is just that adequate.

It is far from excellent and studies have shown the fumes are not all captured and exhausted even with an excellent ventilation system like mine so I will take NO chances with my health.

Lampworking is not regulated at this time so people can do as they please but so many lampworkers have become ill with lung issues, cancers and some have died. Proof it was caused or exacerbated by torch fumes? No, but no proof that it wasn't either.

I would rather play it safe.
Old 2013-06-06, 3:33pm

I thought that the p100 was good at filtering particulates, is it also good for gaseous emissions?
Old 2013-06-06, 5:04pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame n fuse View Post
I thought that the p100 was good at filtering particulates, is it also good for gaseous emissions?
Here you go. A great comparison chart.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topic...ors/disp_part/

SOME ADDITIONAL INFO...

To choose the appropriate respirator, you will need to review the following 4 questions.

A) Which respirator do I choose if I'm working around dusts, mists, fumes or agricultural molds?
You can wear an N95 in almost any dust situation. Exceptions: If you are welding a highly toxic metal that requires a HEPA (high efficiency) respirator, you should wear an N100 or a P100. Examples of highly toxic metals are lead and cadmium. OSHA also has certain substances that it has always required a HEPA respirator for, such as asbestos and lead.

B) What does 95 and 100 refer to in the N95 and P100 designations for particulate respirators? The numbers refer to the efficiency of the filter. The 95% filters are used for most applications and the nearly 100% efficient filters are used in place of the old HEPA filters for the more toxic particulate situations.

C) Are you spraying a pesticide or chemical?
If YES, you will need to choose a pre-filter.
Is the pesticide or chemical oil-based?

If NO, you can use a non-oil pre-filter, such as N95.

If YES, you must use an "Oil Proof or Oil Resistant" pre-filter, such as a P100. The R , P and HE filters can be used for aerosolized oil-based chemicals and pesticides. R means "Resistant to Oil" and P stands for "Oil Proof." The R filters last up to eight hours when used with oil; the P filters may last longer - follow the manufacturer's recommendations. N filters are "Not Resistant" to oil. If your chemical or pesticide does not contain oil, you may use an N, R, P or HE filter.

Note: If you are unsure which particulate filter to choose, the P100 offers the highest level of protection against both oils and non-oils.

N =
Not to be used with oil.

R =
R means "resistant to oils." Can be used for eight hours with chemicals and pesticides that contain oil.

P =
P means "oil proof." Can be used with oil and non-oil hazards; may be able to use longer than eight hours.

HE =
High Efficiency, the filter used on a PAPR (Can be used with oils.) Check with manufacturer's instructions for time restrictions; or change when you notice a decrease in airflow.

D) Which particulate filter do I use if I am using a Powered Air-Purifying Respirator (PAPR), such as
Kasco?
You will use an HE, or high efficiency filter. The PAPRs use a HEPA filter for particulates, while the half-mask and full-face respirators use the N, R, P filters - i.e.. N95, P100.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-06-06 at 5:10pm.
Old 2013-06-16, 3:15am
what's a senior moment ?

Wow, I really am shocked that so few have responded to this thread and that very few of us are wearing these masks.

I am with you Lorraine, there is no way all the fumes are vented out no matter how good your vent system is.

I wear a half face mask and use P100 filters that are good for gases and fumes plus particulates. I just can't remember the number. Yes, it's uncomfortable, it gets hot, etc, etc. but I figure if I'm going to mess around with dangerous gases and things floating in the air, I'm going to protect myself in any way I can.

What I find really scary - The person I took my one and only lampworking class with so many years ago, had NO ventilation at all. Another glass shop right here in Georgia that had fusing and lampworking classes had NO ventilation at all either. None. There was another lampworker I was going to take a class with some time ago also had NO ventilation in their shop. I was told they would open windows ! Needless to say I didn't take that class.

Thanks for your posts.

Old 2013-06-19, 5:01pm
Wyoming Silvers

I have a ventilation system and also wear a mask whenever I torch .
I have asthma and am extremely careful. A mask is a small inconvenience
Compared to possible effects of not wearing one.. having
Lung problems has taught me that I will not take my health for
Granted.

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2013-06-20, 2:47am

the recent thread on torching while pregnant has some useful links on health and safety, also relevant to people who aren't pregnant!

Last edited by flame n fuse; 2013-06-20 at 2:48am. Reason: to add information
Old 2013-06-26, 10:55am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybead View Post
I have a ventilation system and also wear a mask whenever I torch .
I have asthma and am extremely careful. A mask is a small inconvenience
Compared to possible effects of not wearing one.. having
Lung problems has taught me that I will not take my health for
Granted.
I raised exotic poultry and parrots until I got sick with bird lung. You are so right because once you have trouble breathing you get very mindful of fresh air for your lungs. It took me several years to recuperate. I'am with you.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-06-26 at 5:32pm.
Old 2013-12-05, 11:36am

The last two times I was in my glass studio, my lungs really hurt afterward. So I'm now researching masks. I had been using a mask that I had researched for silver fumes on occassion, mostly only when working with silver foil. I wasn't using my ventilation as much lately because it was so cold out that the passage of cold air was making the glass more easily shocked. In any case, I'm wising up, am going to always keep my ventilation on and/or wear a better mask. I'm looking at the half mask respirators. Any suggestions to which is best? I want to hear what others are using. I sculpt more than do beadwork. I don't work much with frits, so I'm thinking it's the heat and fumes mostly that made my lungs hurt.

thanks!
Old 2013-12-05, 11:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
Wow, I really am shocked that so few have responded to this thread and that very few of us are wearing these masks..............
Thanks for your posts.
I'm not - too many times, these days, people get judged by what they do or don't do, say or don't say, even if it was in response to a simple harmless question about what filters to use if you were going to wear one. (mask)

I might live longer if I wear a mask but then why should I get judged based on how I respond.

Just reading the posts, you can already infer the judgements

Lorraine provided great info on what filters work for what instances so anything else I might add becomes opinion

- in this case silence is bliss /wink

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2013-12-05 at 4:26pm.
Old 2013-12-09, 4:50pm
Formerly FishBulb

I do wear one at all times while torching. I have a stand-up bench, so it's just below chest height and the crud is closer to my nose than it would be if I had a sitting bench. I'm not terribly diligent about cleaning, so heaven knows what glass powder and such is drifting around the air.

Also, I work spontaneously, and may decide to put enamels or frit on a bead right in the middle of it. I found that trying to put a mask on in the middle of a bead is annoying, so I just wear it all the time now.

I went to an industrial supply place -- Acklands Grainger if you have them -- and bought a North half-mask, and I use the purple P-100 cans on it. I change them about every six months or so.

I do have ventilation, but still found my lungs hurt at the end of every session, so a mask it is.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2021-06-16, 7:44am

It makes sense to wear a face mask to protect yourself from hazardous chemicals when performing this activity, or any other chemical-related task you might find yourself performing around the house. There are a variety of styles and brands on the market, but they all work similarly well. Here are some tips for getting the most out of your respirator:
1) Securely fasten your head straps as tight as possible by shift pulling them against one another and turning them until it's comfortably tight
2) Adjust both eye pieces so that they're level with each other in front of your eyes
3) Squeeze the air filter pouch along either side before fitting it over your nose and mouth

A face mask is a very helpful way to filter out the harmful smoke you may be breathing while torching. Since the air we breathe in contains dangerous microscopic particles, a face mask is an essential safety precaution for your lungs and respiratory system.

What kind of face mask should you get? It depends on what type of work atmosphere you’re in – I would recommend selecting one that filters fine particulates from the air. Choose one that blocks organic vapors or asbestos if applicable and filters particles including dust, paint chips, fibres, asbestos fibres (in dusty environments), lead content (only in environment where there are lead-based products), mercury vapor, and fumes from materials such as burning plastics.

Face masks come in a variety of forms. Medical-grade, surgeon's mask for instance is made of strong, dense fabric to protect against the inhalation of particles. There are many types and styles available for purchase ranging from disposable medical masks to more expensive N95 respirators.

The goal is to make sure that there is sufficient airflow so it will not fog up or become wet with saliva or droplets from a sneeze and thus removing protection against airborne pathogens. When possible, choose an over-the-head wrap style that seals snugly at the edges around your chin and at your nose-- these offer more protection than traditional airline/flight masks.

Last edited by duncanweishaa789; 2021-06-26 at 3:42am.
Old 2021-06-16, 8:07pm
Phill

The need for a face mask (other than working with micro fine powders or fuming with precious metals) indicates, to me at least, that the ventilation is not pulling enough air from in front of you.

If there is a possibility that you could inhale anything off gassing from the torch or the glass then it WILL be settling on the entire torch bench surface and unless you are going to do classic thorough decontamination procedures, it WILL wind up on your hands and then from there to your clothes and so on until you carry into the rest of your house to -share- with your family and ingest yourself.

'Adequate ventilation' just isn't enough with poisonous metals where trace amounts will come back decades later to remind you the hard way that "good enough" just isn't.
Unless you're OK with killing yourself a few decades earlier than you could have had.
And it will get those around in the same way.

End Rant.