Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-16, 8:43am

Default Has anyone used this marver?

This looks like a really great tool, but I'm fairly new to lampworking still. I would love to read any reviews someone may have if they have tried it, before I purchase.

I can't seem to locate it anywhere but on etsy. It's called a CoolTOOL.

Here is the link:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/5572193...op_home_active

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2013-08-16, 9:27am

I remember looking at it but not trusting the fact that the named website leads nowhere
Old 2013-08-16, 10:02am

really good point, I agree.

I really like the CG marvers, there's just SO many to choose from! I have one and love it, so may be time to decide on another. I know they are great quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-08-16, 4:11pm
Senior Moment

You might want to check with Heather Kelly. She has made beads with Magdalena's tools: https://kalorlo.wordpress.com/2010/10/

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-08-17, 5:13am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
You might want to check with Heather Kelly. She has made beads with Magdalena's tools: https://kalorlo.wordpress.com/2010/10/

Alli
Her last post was 2010? Which beads are you referring to? I'd like to see one of the tools as well
Old 2013-08-17, 5:45am
Senior Moment

That's an archived post from October 2010 Angie. If you click on "home" while on the archived page it will bring you to her current posts, which are dated 2013. If you scroll down the page I linked, you'll see a set of beads she made with a Magdalena tool (most are CIM poison Apple I believe), which why I suggested contacting her. Clearly she has had some experience with Magdalena's tools and may have some input on them.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-08-17, 5:55am
Melody of Glass

I've seen similar marvers elsewhere at one of the bigger suppliers. If I run across them, I will post a link.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-08-17, 6:00am
Melody of Glass

Aha! Perlenpresse. http://www.perlenpresse.de/epages/63...Products/16_24

And Julie does a monthly bulk buy from them. If you are in North America and only wanting one piece, it's worth it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-08-17, 7:02am

Hiya, that's my blog with the Magdalena roller beads. I bought mine second hand from someone else since they weren't being made anymore at that point.

It's a bit harder to use than the graphite rollers, I would say - more likely to knock bead release off your mandrel and you can't use thicker mandrels in it.

ETA: But I've just checked and the tool you're talking about is a different type. You should be ok buying from her on Etsy if she lists any more, I should think? If she's selling old stock she might not have removed the old website link.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Kalorlo; 2013-08-17 at 7:10am.
Old 2013-08-17, 10:06am

Trish, I can't comment on the tool about which you posted, and I would not want to prevent a sale to someone. However, I have had such fun with CG BeadRollers: high quality graphite, well-made, easy to use, don't knock off bead release, and Donna is on LE all the time. Since you mentioned them in your OP I thought I'd chime in with my own BeadRoller experience.

Have fun with whatever you choose!

Best regards,
Helene
Old 2013-08-17, 10:58am
Angie09

Would it be easier to make square beads with something like this?
Old 2013-08-17, 2:15pm

I think that the Magdalena one is tapered, so you are not limited to making a single fixed size (unlike perlenpresse). But I haven't used either of them.
Old 2013-08-18, 11:03am
Glass-aholic

Have it love it! I use it mostly for the long tube beAds and squaring up my edges when needed.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-18, 11:05am
Glass-aholic

Ps not easier to make square beads with this.

For square beads other than a press I just use mashers.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-18, 11:40am

i appreciate everyone's input! I tend to research things to death before I make a decision to purchase. I will have to ponder this some more... I do have one of the CG marvers and would love to have them all!