Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-04-22, 12:55pm

Question This Hot Head is Driving Me Nuts

I haven't been doing this for long, but I already think I need a hotter torch. My problems are partly bead release related (I am trying new releases but they haven't come in yet) but the truth is, I can make great beads from stringer, but my beads made with rods always break on the mandrel. Seriously, I've had one bead from a rod turn out right. I've made about 50 from stringer.

I've come to the conclusion that because the rod is melting sooooo slowly, I'm anticipating and pulling on the mandrel, breaking the (already finicky) release.

Plus, I want to do more than just make beads. I've been playing with making other things, and I'm running into the same problem - they just don't seem to be staying warm enough long enough to manipulate properly.

So, what would be a good torch that would allow me to make sculptural items? I don't have to be able to work with boro, but it would be nice. Thanks guys!

Edit: I would also like to be able to blow glass (obviously small things) with whatever torch I get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A fuser trying to figure out this hot glass thing!

Currently using HH w/ MAPP gas - Cricket w/ concentrator is on the way!

Last edited by moonofglass; 2009-04-22 at 1:10pm. Reason: Forgot to add criteria.
Old 2009-04-22, 1:05pm
Pyromaniac

I think the GTT Cricket ($140) is a great little torch for the money and you can do soft glass plus small boro with ease.

http://www.glasstorchtech.com/torches.html

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-22, 1:09pm

Thanks!

One other thing I'd like to add - I would like to be able to do some glassblowing.

Old 2009-04-22, 1:32pm
I need torch time!

Default Hot Head can work for glassblowing

Greetings,

The Hot Head can do miniature glass blowing to about 2 inches... I use Tink's hollow mandrels and have no problem blowing small vessels.

Having used both the minor and a hot head I can tell you that the bead release that you use is very important! My first week of bead making was lousy... my beads would not come off the mandrel. I was using Fireworks bead release. I got BOM and have not had issues with sticking. I have had problems with the release breaking, but that was when using rods that had been dipped 5 months previously.

If you are using propane, you won't get the heat that you will with Mapp, Mapp Pro or the new "fat boys" in propelene (sp?). I do hollow, sculptural beads that I am very pleased with on the hot head... check out the this thread:

You CAN do it on a HotHead! HotHead User Showcase

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=Hothead

Happy torching!

Last edited by Vangy; 2009-04-22 at 2:39pm.
Old 2009-04-22, 1:40pm

I am using Mapp. I'll have to check out the hollow mandrels you mentioned. Thanks!

Old 2009-04-22, 2:35pm

Don't hate me for this, but you haven't found your 'sweet spot' and need a little more practice to learn to melt the glass properly. I suspect everyone who ever started with an HH has had your problem. I know I did. Eventually you get used to the torch and you will be surprised at what kind of heat you can get!
Old 2009-04-22, 2:46pm
sorcerer

while you can do quite a lot of stuff on a hot head( if you survive all the CO) it's a bit like playing golf with a hockey stick.
cheers, Bernard
Old 2009-04-22, 4:10pm
Pyromaniac

The other thing I noticed when I was using a Hothead was that the tank would freeze up pretty fast and to keep the flame hot you have to place the tank in a bucket of warm water to thaw it. You probably already know this trick, but it drove me crazy to be in the middle of something and have the tank freeze up.

Old 2009-04-22, 4:41pm

Lana - OH! Is that the problem? I'm not sure how to do that - my tank's attached to the torch and suspended from the table. Do I need a hose?

Old 2009-04-22, 4:51pm
I practice alchemy!

The only way to avoid the little tank freezing is to go with a larger tank. Since I switched to bulk propane, I haven't had any trouble with freezing.

Celeste
Old 2009-04-22, 5:16pm
Pyromaniac

Turn off your flame and get a bucket with warm water and hold in under the tank to thaw the tank. You can tell when you need it because the tank feels very cold if not frozen. It also helps when you make something to turn it off for a few minutes.

I am not the Hot Head expert at all, but I was frustrated with the torch too, so that's why I answered. The freezing up and the noise, as well as difficulty changing flame atmosphere encouraged me to get a dual fuel torch.

I tried the BBQ tank of propane and had problems with smut but it may have been my propane source.

There are people making GORGEOUS things from a Hot head though!

Old 2009-04-22, 5:21pm
birdergirl ~o~

I rue the time I spent thinking I could live with the HH! Some people do great things on it. I have a cricket now , wish I'd upgraded long ago. If your serious about continuing melting you should find someone that has a torch you can try, see how you like it!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-04-23, 6:40am
takin the long way 'round

Before I switched to my Cricket, I was using a HotHead with a bulk propylene tank, and that was MUCH hotter that the MAPP canisters. I got the tank at ABCO, which is a welding supply store, and just used a grill hose to connect it. It didn't leave any dark residue like a bulk propane tank does, plus I never had to worry about the tank freezing up!
Old 2009-04-23, 7:04am
Tweedle Dumb

i would say if you like the process, and it sounds like you do, it would be worth your time, and sanity, lol, to upgrade to a dual fuel torch, the torch is more expensive, but it would probably pay for itself with the money you don't have to spend on mapp gas. i work on a minor with one concentrator, so my oxy is free (that's the expensive part of the duel fuel, getting your tank filled every week or so)and a bbq tank of propane. the propane lasts me a LONG time and i think it is $20 or so to fill. that 20 bucks would buy me only about 2 and a half tanks of mapp which, for me, would put out about 9 hours of good HOT heat, on a good day. i still keep my hot head around for my more detailed stuff, but mainly work on my minor. good luck to you! i know your frusturation!
Old 2009-04-23, 6:46pm
I practice alchemy!

The torch is not so expensive in the big picture. I haven't seen an oxygen concentrator that will fit my fraying and stretching shoestring budget.

Celeste
Old 2009-04-23, 9:33pm
one day at a time

IMHO I think the Mini CC would be the best choice for soft glass sculpturals. I've got one and a Bobcat, plus I've tried a Cricket recently. The GTT torches have a sharp focused flame and you would have to wave in and out frequently to prevent cracking. The Mini's flame is bushier and there is a lot of radiant heat emitting from around the flame to keep your work toasty.

Anyone who has a Mini CC would say the same thing. But again, IMHO, the GTT torches are hotter than the Mini for boro because that flame is so focused.
Old 2009-04-24, 4:38am

If you can make it to the Gathering in Miami the last of July, that is probably your best bet for selecting an oxy/propane torch. At open torch you will be able to try all the torches and see the concentrators actually working some of the torches. The type of torch you buy is completely determined by your wants and needs and you really won't know that until you try the different torches. Of course another way of looking at it is there is generally a good market for used torches.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-04-24, 5:18am
Tweedle Dumb

check out ebay oxytogo... i got mine for $200 shipped. i think that is a steal... but wouldnt be the first time i was wrong.lol. and i agree with the torch comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteK View Post
The torch is not so expensive in the big picture. I haven't seen an oxygen concentrator that will fit my fraying and stretching shoestring budget.

Celeste
Old 2009-04-24, 5:33am

Hi Moon. Unless you're ready to invest the money needed for bigger tanks, oxy concentrator, hoses, regulators, etc., don't give up on your HH yet. Some of the best bead makers here use them! It took me awhile to find the right place to work in the flame, too. You may find, as you're finding that spot, that you scorch glass at times, too. Knowing that exact place to work in a flame will be very important for detailed stringer work, so it's worth learning. (And if you've been able to pull a stringer, you're already able to get the glass rod hot enough to make a bead from the rod!)

Check out this thread to deal with the canister getting cold: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...light=canister

Lots of us have figured out how to blow shards (do a search on that one, it's fun!) and do small sculptural work. It's all about PPP (practice, practice, practice). Good luck!

Old 2009-04-24, 6:44am
Jacqueline Parkes

I have never used anything but a hothead in the last nine years or so. You just have to learn the different areas for the type of heat you want.

Many people have told me you can't do this, and you can't do that on a hothead. That just makes me more determined to make it happen.

I now work solely in bullseye. Works like a charm!

Old 2009-04-24, 7:03am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
.... to upgrade to a dual fuel torch,

Can you please explain what a dual fuel torch is?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-04-24, 7:11am
Gentleman of Leisure

Another frustration with HH is the beginner usually does not know how to adjust flame properly. Usually a beginner will turn torch up to get biggest meanest nastiest flame they can..... This is wrong.... Turn flame up when initially lighting torch, them start turning it back down till flame takes on a more defined shape, sharper pencil point inner cone and flame generally takes on a tiny bit darker blue, and roar of flame decreases some what..... This is your best flame, also finding the sweet spot is important. its initially about 1 to 1-1/2 inches out from tip of pencil point of inner cone, or about 2-3 inches from rim of torch head.... The sweet spot will vary with the type of fuel, with MAPP or MAP-PRO it will be a tiny bit closer. with propane it will be a bit further out....

Dale

Old 2009-04-24, 7:12am
Tweedle Dumb

sure. in my case, with oxy and propane, the propane is the combustible gas, and the oxy acts as an accelerant, that itself is not flamable, but allows the propane to burn hotter than it would alone.
Old 2009-04-24, 7:32am
Pyromaniac

I go back to an HH occasionally and I always have to re-adjust, but I never have any problems getting the glass hot enough unless I'm chasing the incredible shrinking flame...

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-04-24, 7:39am
one day at a time

Propane stinks (no pun intended!) with my HH, so AGAIN I had to put it away! I can't wait til I can get the access to propylene once again! Great for my HH, and I used that torch for 18 months before I got the Mini CC and Bobcat.
Old 2009-04-24, 1:38pm
Glass, what's glass???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangy View Post
Greetings,

The Hot Head can do miniature glass blowing to about 2 inches... I use Tink's hollow mandrels and have no problem blowing small vessels.

Having used both the minor and a hot head I can tell you that the bead release that you use is very important! My first week of bead making was lousy... my beads would not come off the mandrel. I was using Fireworks bead release. I got BOM and have not had issues with sticking. I have had problems with the release breaking, but that was when using rods that had been dipped 5 months previously.

If you are using propane, you won't get the heat that you will with Mapp, Mapp Pro or the new "fat boys" in propelene (sp?). I do hollow, sculptural beads that I am very pleased with on the hot head... check out the this thread:

You CAN do it on a HotHead! HotHead User Showcase

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=Hothead

Happy torching!
Sorry your beads didn't work out so well, your just out of practice, you'll do better soon, I have all the faith in you in the world, I always have.

If I can "build" some kind of "gizmo" to make your torching easier, just let me know, that's what great "special friends" are for.

Keep up the great work, and remember, "busy people are interesting people"

Chris
Old 2009-04-24, 2:04pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
sure. in my case, with oxy and propane, the propane is the combustible gas, and the oxy acts as an accelerant, that itself is not flamable, but allows the propane to burn hotter than it would alone.

I think Dale is trying to make a point that all torches are really single fuel torches: propane or MAPP for example is the fuel and it is either mixed with air in a hothead or with oxygen either before or after ignition in another torch like a minor for example. So there are fuel/air torches and fuel/oxygen torches.

The terms dual fuel or single fuel probably came about as a common term because we either hook up one tank or two. Not technically right but we all understand what people mean by it.

Old 2009-04-24, 3:27pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:

Excuse me but that is not DUAL FUEL.... Its a fuel/oxygen torch....

A DUAL FUEL torch would be one the uses propane or MAPP PLUS something like hydrogen and then combine with oxygen (oxidizer) to produce combustion...

Dale

Old 2009-04-24, 3:28pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
I think Dale is trying to make a point that all torches are really single fuel torches: propane or MAPP for example is the fuel and it is either mixed with air in a hothead or with oxygen either before or after ignition in another torch like a minor for example. So there are fuel/air torches and fuel/oxygen torches.

The terms dual fuel or single fuel probably came about as a common term because we either hook up one tank or two. Not technically right but we all understand what people mean by it.
Exactly.........

Dale

Old 2009-04-24, 4:18pm
Tweedle Dumb

wow. need i say more. show me a person that doesn't refer to a "propane oxygen" torch as a dual fuel torch and i'll show you pigs that fly.