Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-08, 3:43am

Default How long is a CIM limited run?

I love CIM colours . But almost every new one that comes out
Seems to be a Limited Edition. Suddenly, colours I love aren't around
around any more. SOB! Bring back Adobe, please.
Good marketing strategy, gettit while it's hot.
But does anyone have the inside scoop on how long a colour will be available.
Sometimes it takes a while to fall in love with a colour, and maybe then
it's too late. I'd love to buy up pounds of everything that looks
yummy, but have neither $$$$$ or space.
What to do?

KMD
Old 2013-09-08, 4:59am

The ltd runs are just off spec batches of production colors. If everybody loves it, they won't last long. Your best bet is to learn to love the production colors.
Old 2013-09-08, 5:25am

something tells me the peeps at messy color don't know how to consistently mix color so that they always have these "one off" ltd runs.
Old 2013-09-08, 5:53am

I'm not sure that is exactly it, lol! There are a lot of variables that go into coloring glass. Some of those ingredients can go through spells of scarcity or high prices. Upstream suppliers can change formulations. They may be experimenting with substitutions, or trying colors to gauge interest. There are plenty of production runs that come out the same time after time. The odd lots just aren't those.

No point in trashing perfectly good glass when you can sell it.

Last edited by echeveria; 2013-09-08 at 7:18am.
Old 2013-09-08, 6:43am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
something tells me the peeps at messy color don't know how to consistently mix color so that they always have these "one off" ltd runs.
That also applies to almost every glass manufacturer, where do you think Vetrofond and Effetre odds and specials come from?
Old 2013-09-08, 11:26am
Senior Moment

Heck, even Double Helix has off batches; look at their odd lots. I love em, but yeah, miss them when they're gone.

Alli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-09-08, 1:45pm
Artistically Absorbed

I think it is best to look at every color as a limited run. Each pull of any color seems like it may have the chance to be slightly different. At least that's my take now on glass colors. If you love it buy enough for your needs. I am also bummed about Adobe! I had a coral from many years back, and I'm not even sure what the name of it was so I can't even beg in the garage for more, Adobe was the closest color to it I found. Oh well.... Here's hoping for lots of fun new colors to love in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-09-08, 1:48pm
Storm Queen

I actually won't buy the limited runs so I'm not sure it's such good marketing. It just annoys me, especially when a vendor limits your buying amount too.

Old 2013-09-08, 1:50pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I actually won't buy the limited runs so I'm not sure it's such good marketing. It just annoys me, especially when a vendor limits your buying amount too.
This. The only limited anything I have anymore is from my first three years in glass.

Old 2013-09-09, 6:24am
Peerless Thread Killer

Neither do I. I'm in with Astrid and Amy-if it's a limited run, I don't even bother, with any manufacturer. Effetre does this all the time.

Old 2013-09-09, 7:51am

I will not buy it if I can only get 1/4 lb. That's not worth the shipping cost.
Old 2013-09-09, 8:14am
da General

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
I will not buy it if I can only get 1/4 lb. That's not worth the shipping cost.
Ditto! Don't see the point.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-09-09, 8:17am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Heck, even Double Helix has off batches; look at their odd lots. I love em, but yeah, miss them when they're gone.

Alli
Actually no. I learned from Jed at the Rochester Gathering this summer that he actually makes the darks and lights of his stock colors on their own melt specifically reformulated to be darker/lighter. Those are not by products of an 'off' batch!

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2013-09-09 at 1:36pm.
Old 2013-09-09, 1:22pm

CiM's website explains it really well. http://www.creationismessy.com/FAQs.aspx
Odd lots, limited runs, etc. are part of the industry - I love that there is so much variety in glass.

Old 2013-09-09, 2:18pm

DITTO as well. Even having my own shop, I won't put limits. When it is gone it's gone. But I don't like buying from Distributors/Manufacturers that have limits either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Ditto! Don't see the point.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-09-09, 2:21pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieann1674 View Post
DITTO as well. Even having my own shop, I won't put limits. When it is gone it's gone. But I don't like buying from Distributors/Manufacturers that have limits either.
That's why I bought the CiM Lapis from you, Julie, instead of from Frantz! With the size of my beads, 1/4 lb doesn't go very far. When I restock on a color I like, I purchase a minimum of a full pound, sometimes more (e.g., Double Helix test batches)!

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-09-09, 2:40pm
Storm Queen

If I was a vendor I would worry less about trying to be fair and letting everyone have a chance to get some of "whatever" glass and instead just sell the damn stuff. I'd much rather ship out one 10lb order than 40 1/4lb orders. But those companies that do that can also run their business how they choose, I just don't play the limited purchase game.

Old 2013-09-09, 3:58pm

EXACTLY.

Quote:
If I was a vendor I would worry less about trying to be fair and letting everyone have a chance to get some of "whatever" glass and instead just sell the damn stuff. I'd much rather ship out one 10lb order than 40 1/4lb orders. But those companies that do that can also run their business how they choose, I just don't play the limited purchase game.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-09-09, 5:07pm

Thank you for the link to CIM FAQs. I can see their point.
BUT I STILL MISS ADOBE!

KMD
Old 2013-09-09, 5:53pm
Senior Moment

I had no idea Hayley! I've been under the impression that's what the DH Odd Lots were, since they write on the Odd Lot page: "Sometimes a batch is lighter or darker than it’s supposed to be, etc. etc."

Thanx for clearing that up

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-09-10, 10:32pm
Naysayer

I'm on the fence, I do hate hoarders, so the limit does knock the chance I'll see a color I like in the garage for 30000 times the original price. But I also hate limits. Although, I'm poor and rarely buy more than 1/4lb at a time
..it should be a 1lb limit though if any

Anyways, the CIM email touches on this topic, hope it's ok to post here? I mean, anyone can get it.

Recently it has been difficult for our production to keep up with demand. It is part of the CiM mission to keep available stock of our Messy Color line. To this end, we have decided to reduce the Messy Color line from 72 to 59 colors.

Messy Colors are colors we are committed to keeping in stock. Ltd Runs are either colors we mis- melted (cannot intentionally re melt) or colors we are not committed to keeping in stock because sales are slower (in which case, we will only melt them intermittently).

The 13 colors being re branded "Ltd Runs" are in the latter category so you are likely to see them again (though admittedly it has been very difficult to melt Cardamom & Linen consistently).

A few years back we reduced our color line, and we have produced some of those colors since then as the market has demanded. For example, we melted French Blue Ltd Run twice since it became a Ltd Run- it is currently in stock.

In short, with the possible exception of Cardamom & Linen, you can expect to see the following colors again. They simply will not be available on a regular basis.

The 13 colors we are planning to re brand as Ltd Runs are:

511109 Bordello Ltd Run
511407 Cardamom Ltd Run
511413 Peacock Green Ltd Run
511478 Oz Ltd Run
511481 Split Pea Ltd Run
511492 Sherwood Ltd Run
511550 Chalcedony Ltd Run
511562 Ming Ltd Run
511589 Zachary Ltd Run
511742 Sepia Ltd Run
511788 Mink Ltd Run
511807 Linen Ltd Run
511915 Pink Champagne Ltd Run
Old 2013-09-10, 11:00pm
Slogan Challenged...

So, Stoneground for example is still produced? I LOVE this color, and it doesn't look like any came in.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-09-11, 5:18am

Waaaaaah, no Adobe?????
KMD
Old 2013-09-11, 6:13am
Lampworkaholic!

I think the marketing aspect of limits on glass is that people will order other, non-limited glass too, to leverage their shipping.

I'd never place an order for 1/4 lb. of anything, but if I'm placing an order anyway, I figure I might as well add 1/4 lb. of whichever limited glass appeals to me.

I also remember when a certain big vendor released a bunch of oop glass for sale and people who were online when the email came in snapped all of it up. Then a lot of people bashed the vendor for being unfair.

You can't please everyone.

If I love a limited run, I might buy 2 lbs. just so I will actually let myself use it and not just hoard it.

There are so many beautiful colors of glass out there. Why get too emotionally attached to any one? Move on, find another color to love.

Variety is the spice ...

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2013-09-11 at 2:23pm.
Old 2013-09-11, 9:52am

I am still not ordering 1/4 lb of anything, even if I have ordered 100 lbs otherwise. I dunno - I begrudge it the space in the box. 1/4 lb is meaningless to me. Unless it is pink, because I only use that for noses and ears and toes.
Old 2013-09-11, 12:32pm

LOL funny how different people see things differently.... for me, I only ever order 1/4lbs of most things except basics like clear and black, because I work so small and need a variety of colors. My typical glass order has 20 or so different colors all in 1/4lb increments with maybe a pound of black or white.

And with my short attention span, I move from color to color all the time, so I love all the different limited runs. There are a few colors I really miss, but I figure there will eventually be something similar down the road. To each his/her own!

Old 2013-09-11, 12:56pm

That makes perfect sense Kandice. I make small stuff too - I am just greedy!
Old 2013-09-11, 2:22pm

I like the variety of colors offered....I just wish they wouldn't keep renaming them...old uniques are now under different names but as limited.

I also do not like the limits of new glass some vendors set.

Last edited by beadmama; 2013-09-11 at 2:24pm. Reason: Additional comment
Old 2013-09-11, 4:34pm
sunscreen me baby

Even regular colors change. I just had a major fiasco when I realized that effetre 068 changed to be a pink instead of a peach. I have no idea when it happened but I had no idea! And found out after I made a kiln full of flower discs for an order.

I know I have had the same trouble with Caribbean blue from CIM. I have a few pounds bundled together and while each rod looks the same, it can be one of two shades of blue. Again, I only found out after I made a kiln full of that color and half were not the right shade.

It's just the way it goes.

~

Old 2013-09-11, 4:57pm
Storm Queen

I wouldn't mind buying some of the limited runs if the amount wasn't limited. I really wanted Adobe but I think it was limited to 1/4lb so I left the site and didn't buy anything.