Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-09, 9:40am
Nikki Haverstock

Default Hints for going back to a hothead

I know there are thread about switching from a hothead to another torch or a thread about starting on a hothead but didnt see a thread on switching to a hothead from a bigger torch.

Because I am away from home for a few months I dug out my hothead and brought it along. I am kinda nervous to hop back onto to it because mentally I feel that it will be soooo much more difficult. I could use some advice for adapting my approach to the hothead.

Anyone else have this experience?
Old 2011-07-09, 10:04am

Lol... I started on the hothead and after the very first session I said no way ever...and ordered my lynx. Unless I was demoing at a show I think I'd rather not lampwork for awhile than go back. Not helpful I know.

I'd say stick with smaller beads that aren't affected much by a slightly reducing atmosphere. I know there are a lot of people that make the most amazing beads on a hot head and they have a ton of my respect b/c I know that it would just drive me insane. Even going to a smaller prop oxy torch is enough to make me curse at times. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-09, 10:17am
Nikki Haverstock

Thanks. I am thinking I should avoid turquoise? Or plan on cleaning it up afterward. Any other colors to avoid?
Old 2011-07-09, 2:11pm

I think rubino might be difficult although putting a layer of clear over it should prevent any reduction and potentially some of the silver glasses since they'll go yucky if over reduced. whites can give me a problem in a reduction flame although like anything if you work out far enough in the flame you can compensate to some extent. Copper green, silver plum, metallic black??? things that like more oxygen would be ones I would worry about too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-09, 2:34pm
I fart diamonds

I use my HH when we're out & about (beach, etc.) and love it. It does take a bit more patience, but it's not that bad. I use 96 which is stiffer than 104 so you should be fine. Just remember to work further away from the face to avoid the crud.

Are you using bulk fuel or the little canisters?

Old 2011-07-09, 2:37pm
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
I use my HH when we're out & about (beach, etc.) and love it. It does take a bit more patience, but it's not that bad. I use 96 which is stiffer than 104 so you should be fine. Just remember to work further away from the face to avoid the crud.

A little canister. I bought two and I bet that will be about right. I will not have tons of time and I will have to share the work area with other people.
Old 2011-07-09, 5:44pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I use turquoise and rubino without problems on my hh. I mind my flame.

I have seen people crank those suckers up. I follow what Cindy Jenkins says in her book about not getting that glaring turquoise centre flame. I started using almost too cool a flame and worked myself up to what works for me, and no problemas. Start far out in the flame and come in to where it works for you. you can always crank her up when encasing if need be but there's no reason for that torch to be roaring anywhere near full open.
hope that helps. It's just a bushier flame than what you're used to on a mixed fuel torch.
I took a 2 day class on a mini cc and when I got home to my hh it took a little bit of adjusting but it was really like second nature. As long as you read your heat base it's just that the flame is more up and down and fluffier; a bit wilder.

HTH.

angel blessings
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-07-09, 7:45pm
Oinky Oink!

I have only used HH so I have nothing to compare to but I am pretty happy with my trusty old HH.
Rubino is not a problem for me. The problem that I have mostly is with clears. I tend to get scummy clears with the HH on bulk fuel if I work on the bead for a while. But haven't had this problem with little 1lb. propylene tanks.
Have fun!

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-07-09, 8:03pm
Nikki Haverstock

Thanks everyone for the info! Not sure why I am so intimidated to get to work but this is helping.
Old 2011-07-09, 11:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverReflections View Post
Lol... I started on the hothead and after the very first session I said no way ever...and ordered my lynx. Unless I was demoing at a show I think I'd rather not lampwork for awhile than go back. Not helpful I know.
My sentiments exactly. I have one that has about ten hours of use and about two years on the shelf. Sorry cant muster encouragement for it.
Old 2011-07-10, 1:51am

I'm heading back to my hothead - which I only used a few times. I can't make it down to rent torch time (an hour drive) as much as I'd like so I'm going to share space with a friend who's much much closer. Living in a condo - doing work from home isn't an option (I'd seriously consider buying something else if the market didn't still suck )
I'm hopeful and really appreciate the suggestions in this thread!

PEACE ON EARTH
Old 2011-07-10, 2:11am
offically down under

My stringer control went down the gurgler when I shifted to a duel torch. I had great control with my HH. It's slow and noisy but has it's advantages.

Old 2011-07-11, 9:50am
...displaced ocean lover

Nikki, my silver glass reactions were much prettier at times on my HH than on my MegaMinor. The only glass that ever gave me trouble was Rubino. I had to really pay attention to where I kept the bead.

I'm thinking the noise might annoy you more than anything if you were used to a quiet torch lately.

Good luck!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2011-07-11, 1:28pm

Ya I was going to suggest either headphones or ear plugs lol.

Old 2011-07-11, 3:26pm

I sometimes wish I had another set of hoses so I could use my HH occasionally. Like Roo, I loved the reactions I got from some silver glasses, that I cannot reproduce on my Cricket.

Have fun

You can't shine if you don't burn
Old 2011-07-11, 3:35pm
Nikki Haverstock

Haha I do have earplugs. I will bust those suckers out.
Old 2011-07-11, 3:39pm
Fire Monkey

Think of it as a lateral move instead of going back. It's not a worse torch than any other, just a different one.
Use the fat camping cannisters and you won't have a problem with freezing up.
Work farther out in the flame to avoid schmutz ()
The HH is great for stringer work so it might be a good time to practice it
Have fun!

Old 2011-07-11, 3:40pm
Fire Monkey

I crank up the iPod

Old 2011-07-11, 4:19pm
Nikki Haverstock

Thanks. I am almost getting the hang of stringers so this would be a great thing to work on.
Old 2011-07-11, 7:54pm
Oinky Oink!

I kinda like the loud obnoxious sound. My hubby and kids think I am actually doing something behind the closed doors when that sound is on and to stays AWAY!

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-07-12, 3:53am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
Thanks. I am thinking I should avoid turquoise? Or plan on cleaning it up afterward. Any other colors to avoid?
For certain beads I got much better results with turquoise on the HH than on my Bobcat. If you get the greyish stuff on them you can clean that up in about 10-15 minutes with a solution of toilet bowl cleaner solution, 2 parts to 1 part of water. (I use Snobol) Underneath that thin layer of greyish reduction scuzz is a beautiful turquoise, just like in the rod color.

The HH is a wonderful torch. I still use mine because some beads I make are awful on the Bobcat. It's just too hot and it can ruin a lot of the colors. Especially 104 reds and Bullseye pinks. One of the things I really despise is that it melts in the silvered ivory too much and it appears "smeary" rather than webbed and mottled. Simply put, if you like webbed and mottled, too much heat will smear your efforts.

Amber (*Naos*) makes some of the most beautiful beads around, and she uses silver foil or leaf for that earthy organic look. If she tried to make the same beads with a oxy/propane torch, they wouldn't be the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (Amber??) but I think she is still using a HH.

I've made over 400 different kinds of bead sets and I have a lot of respect for my old HH.

Last edited by Lisi; 2011-07-12 at 3:56am.
Old 2011-07-12, 3:58am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:

You make beads at the beach? I just sunbake

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-07-12, 4:30am
one day at a time

I've taken my HH out in the Everglades to a hunting camp, so while the guys were out hunting Bambi, wild piggies, or poking frogs, I made beads. (can you tell how much I just looove hunting??)

I've also made beads down in the Keys with a set up in a picnic area near the water. I was that hooked on it in my early years so if the torch could go wherever I went, it would. That was years ago when I had deep pockets and could waste money on vacations. Now my vacation is to watch a movie when my orders are done and off in the mail.
Old 2011-07-12, 2:35pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
You make beads at the beach? I just sunbake
Well, I don't need to work on my tan so...

One of the most talented glass artists I've ever had the pleasure of saying that I know uses a hot head. She does things with it that I know I'll never be able to do (on a HH, or any other torch for that matter!).

You've probably seen some of her work: www.hollycooper.com

Old 2011-07-12, 2:59pm
Fire Monkey

Quote:
Well, I don't need to work on my tan so...

One of the most talented glass artists I've ever had the pleasure of saying that I know uses a hot head. She does things with it that I know I'll never be able to do (on a HH, or any other torch for that matter!).

You've probably seen some of her work: www.hollycooper.com

Oh girl! LOL!

Old 2011-07-12, 3:29pm
Nikki Haverstock

There are definitely a lot of incredibly artists that work on a hothead, Dee, Holly, gelly, Naos, I know there are more but I can't think of them right now.

That is why I figured I would ask. I know that I theoretically can do great things on a Hothead, figuring out how and the tricks is a different problem
Old 2011-07-12, 6:38pm
Fire Monkey

It's really just all about sitting down and "doing". I have thousands of hours of piddling and failure that lead to figuring it out.

Old 2011-07-12, 9:18pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
It's really just all about sitting down and "doing". I have thousands of hours of piddling and failure that lead to figuring it out.
Yep, it takes a lot of time and experience, triumph and failures. I'll be honest about something - my first 18 months were on the HH, and when I switched to the Bobcat/generator, I hated it. I only stayed with the Bobcat because it melted the glass faster and less trouble with the bright pink frits. With soft glass - working with a hotter and faster flame did not make the colors better (except those pink frits), and in a lot of cases it made the colors worse. Believe it or not.

Like your HH better now?? Of course, with boro you would need the hotter torch. But if you are working with soft glass, the HH is a very good torch.