Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-23, 6:45am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default I think I have a great idea

for working with color when designing

First you find some good color charts for glass. Save the pictures to your drive with names and numbers. Create tables with the pictures in Word, print. Laminate. Cut each individual picture. Apply double sided velcro tape on the back of each picture. Purchase a bulletin board . Apply double sided velcro tape in lines across the board. Attach each picture to the board, according to either code numbers or group them into colors. Have one blank cork bulletin board with double sided velcro tape on the wall. Now choose some colors and attach them to the blank board. Step back and think, ugly? Okay replace those colors in their proper place and try again. I have not done this yet so I may have to rethink it a bit. Actually, you may have room on the bottom of the board to play with the colors. Not sure as I have yet to purchase the supplies

You see, I was doing this on the computer but it really was not a great system.

Thoughts? Stupid? Stupendous? Any ways to improve on this idea?

I really do think it will work for me. Staring at glass rods in my studio just does not do it for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-08-23, 6:57am
Redheaded Thread Killer

Sounds interesting. I know some people like using paint swatches(like from the hardware store) to play with, but having the exact color of your glass would refine that a bit more.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2012-08-23, 6:57am

this is my go to source for color combos. I keep it in my studio next to my torching station

Color Inspirations

Old 2012-08-23, 5:04pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Autumn, how do you match your glass stash to the colors displayed in the book?

For instance, let's say you're thumbing through the book and you like a particular color combo. Do you then stand in front of your glass stash until you find the exact rods that match the colors in the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragonfly View Post
this is my go to source for color combos. I keep it in my studio next to my torching station

Color Inspirations

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-08-23, 5:14pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Sounds like a lot of time, effort & work to me.

Why not just pull rods of colors, and then
Quote:
Step back and think, ugly? Okay replace those colors in their proper place and try again.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2012-08-23, 5:23pm

It doesn't work well for me 'cause the beads don't always come out the same color as the rods. So what I've done (and am in the process of doing) is creating "sample beads" for all the colors in my stash. I will eventually keep each sample bead in with each color and use the samples to come up with color combos.

This process is a work in progress. I've only made sample colors of about 1/2 my stash, and I keep getting more glass all the time! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly View Post

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-08-23, 5:25pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly View Post

Er yup thats me, gives a huge number of what the hell were you thinking moments too, entertaining

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-23, 5:27pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
It doesn't work well for me 'cause the beads don't always come out the same color as the rods. So what I've done (and am in the process of doing) is creating "sample beads" for all the colors in my stash. I will eventually keep each sample bead in with each color and use the samples to come up with color combos.

This process is a work in progress. I've only made sample colors of about 1/2 my stash, and I keep getting more glass all the time! LOL
Yupp, this. I know it will work for me so I am excited to get started on this project.

Old 2012-08-23, 5:32pm

Will you be making your own sample beads or using printouts of the color swatches on the vendors' websites?

If the latter, PM me 'cause I already have a database with almost all the swatches for Vetrofond, Effetre and CIM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Yupp, this. I know it will work for me so I am excited to get started on this project.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-08-23, 5:36pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Will you be making your own sample beads or using printouts of the color swatches on the vendors' websites?

If the latter, PM me 'cause I already have a database with almost all the swatches for Vetrofond, Effetre and CIM.

Latter and pming you thanks so much!

Old 2012-08-23, 5:41pm
Melody of Glass

I think it's a fab idea. Want to make one for me??

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-08-23, 5:44pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
I think it's a fab idea. Want to make one for me??
Okay, lol

Old 2012-08-23, 5:45pm

Quote:
Autumn, how do you match your glass stash to the colors displayed in the book?

For instance, let's say you're thumbing through the book and you like a particular color combo. Do you then stand in front of your glass stash until you find the exact rods that match the colors in the book?
well I don't guess I really "match" the colors from the color combos to my stash. I just look through until I find something that catches my eye that day and see what colors I have that will come close.

Old 2012-08-23, 5:47pm

I'm glad that works for you. I wish it worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragonfly View Post
well I don't guess I really "match" the colors from the color combos to my stash. I just look through until I find something that catches my eye that day and see what colors I have that will come close.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-08-23, 7:12pm

Aimee I think your idea of making a reference chart of beads is great. Devardi now has a color chart that is made of beads. It would be great if they all did that.

Andrea
Old 2012-08-23, 8:45pm
Dix Harrison

For what it's worth, here's what I did...

1. I used tile nips to nip off a 2" sample piece of each glass rod color I have (opaques, transparents, and opalinos).
2. Labeled each rod (very small label on one end). I probably have about 200 rod color samples.
3. I store the rod samples in a flat clipboard case that snaps closed.

When I need color inspiration or "reassurance," I pop open the case and play with creating different combinations. The reason I think this works for me is that I'm working with the actual glass color--and the properties of the glass (like transparency, sheen, etc.) are also right there.

Just an idea...

FYI, of course the silver glasses would take some preparation to make samples.
Old 2012-08-24, 12:11am
Unmedicated since '62

Check out the stashmaster thread (post 396) for files you can download of all the CiM colours (well most) kindly provided by Kathy at CiM

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-26, 11:50am

This is a beautiful solution, if you want pics of colors already made into beads.
Not very costly, but new colors won't be represented.

http://www.facet-design.nl/wp/shop/

Great idea Gems!
Old 2012-08-27, 2:58am

You could by my posters and use them to cut and put a magnet or Velcro at the back.

My posters are not static and when a printed batch is finished, I will make a new poster with the new colors added.

In a few months the poster sorted by manufacturer will be reprinted and new colors will be added.

The color carts on my website are updated when I have new colors, made the beads and found the time to photograph and edit them.

You can buy the printed version of my charts here: http://www.facet-design.nl/wp/shop/
The on line version can be seen here: http://www.facet-design.nl/wp/

Please remember photos are copyright material. Not only my photos, but all photos you find on the web.

|
Old 2012-08-27, 3:08am
Tassie Devil

I make a small sample bead of each colour that I have bought and have glued the sample beads to a cardboard chart which is on the wall near my work table. Each bead is labelled with maker and colour written beside it. This gets around the problem of the colour being different than the rod colour. They are all annealed because sometimes that changes the colour too. it doesn't take long to do it, and probably wouldn't take as long as making up printed colour charts. It is surprising how much wall space it takes up though, even for such little beads!

It is invaluable when I want to make something to match or tone with something. Especially when dealing with reds, purples and greens.

Today, right now, is a gift - that's why they call it the present!

Old 2012-08-27, 7:31am
...displaced ocean lover

I had no idea anyone went to such lenghts. I'm just not that organized. I would get to the part "find some good color charts for glass" ....pretty sure that's where it would end.

I do like this website if I'm just not "feeling it" .

http://www.colourlovers.com/

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-08-28, 12:18am

Hi Miriam,

I'm sorry, I didn't realize how nicely you keep on top of updating.
Great job.

Julie