No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-02, 8:21pm
Lampworkaholic!

Default Encasing with Aether

Has anyone had problems encasing with Aether? I made the two prettiest plunged florals of my lampworking career ... and both cracked. I am so disappointed and unsure what went wrong. I have had no other problems with Aether and totally love it except for this little mystery.

?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-09-02, 9:28pm
still in my jammies

I haven't had any troubles with Aether. Are your cracks thermal cracks (straight lines, along the length) or incompatibility cracks (cracks going in different directions across or around the bead)?

If the beads were really pretty, maybe you held them outside the kiln too long while gazing lovingly at them happens to me sometimes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~

Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties. -Erich Fromm
Old 2009-09-03, 5:44am
Lampworkaholic!

Thermal on one for sure, it broke into four quarters. The other just has a small crack right over the flower bubble. Aether feels softer than other 104 to me, I think I waited because I didn't want it to sag. But that hasn't been a problem with other Aether beads. I'll try again.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-09-03, 6:59am
A True Woofer

What other glasses were you using?

I've definitely noticed that it's softer than other clears. I have had a couple of nice beads sag in the kiln from putting them in too early.

Old 2009-09-03, 7:02am

The only cracks I ever had encasing with Aether was when using it over CIM Hades.
Old 2009-09-03, 7:23am
Lampworkaholic!

I used a base of Mosaic green, vine cane made with uranium yellow and black, white dots with rubino, berry and amethyst, then a full encasing with Aether.

I made the same bead last night with Diamond Clear and it is fine but definitely not as amazingly crystal clear.

Old 2009-09-03, 7:47am
Temptress

I've been using it with at least 3 colors of silver glass, copper, silver mesh, and foil with different colors all in the same bead and have had no problems except with CIM Hades.
Old 2009-09-03, 8:54am
Lampworkaholic!

I may have used Hades for the black in the vine cane - do you think that small amount would make a difference?

Old 2009-09-03, 9:22am

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I may have used Hades for the black in the vine cane - do you think that small amount would make a difference?
It's just my opinion and what do I know? but the bead I used (one test bead) with hades as a base bead not only cracked but splintered every which way and I would guess it is some sort of allergic reaction, lol!
Old 2009-09-04, 5:32am
Lampworkaholic!

Update: I made a new vine cane with Vetro black and a plunged floral with Aether and - no cracks! I didn't make it as elaborate at the first two, since it was an experiment to see if the orignal cracked because of Hades in the vine cane. But it really is pretty.

Old 2009-09-04, 6:24am

Default hades incompatability with Aether

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Update: I made a new vine cane with Vetro black and a plunged floral with Aether and - no cracks! I didn't make it as elaborate at the first two, since it was an experiment to see if the orignal cracked because of Hades in the vine cane. But it really is pretty.
I would say that the mystery has been solved, at least I hope so.

I am so happy for you!
Old 2009-09-06, 8:09pm
Born on date: 11/3/09!

Where can one find this wonderful Aether clear? I'm so there...

The little love of my life...