Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-09-21, 7:19pm

Default My new shop

Thanks to many LE folks for their info & ideas over the years. I used many of them when I converted a 7x12 ft porch to a shop.

It was on the back of my vintage mobile home & required a roof (only awning before) and additional supports under. Entire cost was about 4K and half that was labor.

Some of the windows I got from garage sale. I opted for AC (and fan) and door with screen to help with make up air.

Every square inch of wall space was utilized as I only had 1 good wall because of roof angle. Since this was outside of my trailer it allowed for heavy support for the ton of stuff I hang on it!

Here is main pic of wall

Glass is color coded (orange boro, blue for 96) I used peg board, pvc and plumbing parts that are zip tied thru the pegboard

close up of frit shelves 1x3's

boro

96 rods, noodles and stringers
Old 2013-09-21, 7:44pm

Default more pics!

My table is a 36in old door. My ventilation had to go thru floor so a hole was cut it the table. I got much vent info from this site and Andrea G. site. I especially love how quiet and effective it is (I did invest $200 extra in a muffler)

Because of the vent I had to place my glass in a bookcase around the vent but works well. Used my short wall for more pegboard and presses

Close up of my vent, floor pic is blocked by trunk but vent is foamed in to hole cut in floor & unit attached to wood under and exits out side.

It works so amazing!! Trunk holds another torch & hoses so I can switch out if want to work hotter

Picture of outside. Shell of garden hose caddy hides my propane which is outside shop & hole drilled for placement.

Again, my thanks for all the tips over the years. I hope this can help someone else. I never dreamed I could have a functional shop in less than 84 sq ft! I have not lit a torch in a long time and that is my goal next week!!

Jolene
Old 2013-09-21, 7:49pm

Wow, Jolene!!! Isn't it wonderful? You've done a lot of work and I know you're thrilled with your studio! One thing, though, I think you need more frit. LOL

BTW, what did you put on your kiln handles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-21, 8:00pm

Ha Rachael....LOL, u r right..I DO need more frit!

My metal kiln handles get hot - so I put some wooden spools on the ends.

I need a creative idea to keep the bead doors open when I am placing mandrels in, the hinge no longer holds them open...any ideas?
Old 2013-09-21, 8:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellagirl View Post
Ha Rachael....LOL, u r right..I DO need more frit!

My metal kiln handles get hot - so I put some wooden spools on the ends.

I need a creative idea to keep the bead doors open when I am placing mandrels in, the hinge no longer holds them open...any ideas?
Spools. Brilliant!! Mine get hot, as well, and I'm tired of pushing them open with whatever tool is nearby.

Prop them open. Again, tools come to mind (hemostats) but might not be the safest. Graphite block maybe? A piece of 2x4?

Old 2013-09-21, 8:12pm

Thanks for ideas ROC! Will give them a try..

I loved it when the bead door just "stays up" when placed in that position...but over the years ...hinges won't do it!

I have always hated the wood spool look...but have not had torch time to make some BHB for kiln door handles, but think it sounds creative & fun
Old 2013-09-21, 11:26pm
Slogan Challenged...

What a lot of work, but that really turned into an awesome space. Thanks for sharing. Yeah, get torching now!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-09-22, 5:50am

Wow, I'm I wish I had a shop like that. It's so organized. I'm so disorganized
Old 2013-09-22, 9:08am

would magnets work to hold up the doors?
Barbara
Old 2013-09-22, 9:14am

Thanks for responses. Yes, can't wait to make a bead next week! Been so long, I am conflicted on what to try first!

This work space will not look same after I work in it regularly, especially the table!

I tied magnets to hold doors up & kiln exterior gets so hot...no adhesive would hold for very long. Kiln has several areas of dried stuff on it where I tried.
Old 2013-09-22, 7:58pm
Sucks at being nice

That is an awesome space! Congratulations on your new studio.

Old 2013-09-22, 8:58pm

Thumbs up

Thanks jeepinwelch! I am grateful.

I hoped it would encourage others who had limited space and/or money.
Old 2013-09-23, 4:09am

What an awesome space. You go girl!
Old 2013-09-23, 4:12am

I have magnets on my Paragon, and they don't need adhesive. Since the case is metal, the magnet just stays on. I have those disk magnets like you get at Harbor Freight. They work great.
Old 2013-09-23, 7:37am

Thanks Kathy. Sorry to be so lame, but do you use just 1 magnet? Have a pic?
Old 2013-09-23, 7:46am
Flamewoman

Your shop is beautiful, and I envy your organization, mine used to look like that.........
a long time ago. Now it is cluttered and I have to clean my bench sometime to even work.
Only thing I always think when I see a new studio with ventilation like yours,, is:
too bad you didn't go with a hood instead of the vent in front of the torch like you have.
It's just my opinion, and I'm not alone here, there is no way that can capture the nox and evacuate it. In a small space especially like you have, you are going to be breathing some pretty bad stuff. But I work a lot, 30 hours a week or more, so maybe you don't torch as much and won't be affected much.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-09-23, 11:19am

Smile

Hi Mary, thanks for liking my shop. It definitely won't look this organized in a week!
I have tried a hood for ventilation & had poorer results. Was noisier, height affected draw & it cast a giant shadow on work ( even w additional lighting)

I did not have an option to vent thru the roof so am trying this set up. It tested the best of anything I have had over last 8 years. I know I will miss my surface area on table tho....

I will have a better idea after using it for a month. Based on variety of tests i gave it....I actually think it is the first time I feel completely safe to fume.
Old 2013-09-23, 12:55pm

I believe I have basically the same ventilation system; the one Andrea Gaurino's husband designed. It's so strong is sucked up a spider crawling on the tip of my torch. I torch for 8-14 hours at a time, no fumes, and with the muffler, very quiet. Pricey though, about 500.00 plus instillation.
Your studio looks amazing, I'm jealous!!!!!
Old 2013-09-23, 1:37pm

Thanks Keoki

Yes, same basic design as mine. I also used mostly from Andrea's recommendations

Hope my set up can catch shop spiders, I hate those things!
Old 2013-09-26, 8:13pm

Default Kiln magnets

Kathy! Thanks for recommending Harbor Freight disc magnets.... Just got them today.

They hold door open perfectly.... Tried earth magnets & they were not as effective. Not sure why, but am happy to have issue resolved!
Old 2013-09-27, 9:52am

What a nice operation you have. The best I have seen so far in a small space and the fact that it is away from the rest of the living area. Do you live in a warm climate where the
torch heat will keep you fairly warm?
Great use of space using pegboard. Pleasant place to go to work in.
Katie
Old 2013-09-27, 11:27am
TJ

Love how well organized and easy on the eyes your pegboard system is.
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.
Old 2013-09-28, 7:01pm

Thanks Katie & TJ, I took pictures before I lit my torch cuz I knew it can't stay that neat!
The pegboard wall & zip tied on cut PVC pipes was an idea on LE years ago. Works perfect for super small space. Have to go "up" for storage when less than 100 sq ft!
I live in Portland OR and our winters are wet, but mostly mild. Shop is on porch exterior area so will need to be heated when I work midwinter. With kiln & torch heat should most often be pleasant (I M guessing!)

Twice I have had garage shops, while I loved more space... I froze!
Old 2013-09-28, 9:10pm
Salt Box Beads

You did a terrific design with a small space. Really cute.
Old 2013-09-28, 9:45pm
They see me rollin'...

Your shop is so nice!! And I think I'm going to steal your idea of using a hose caddy.

-Patti
Old 2013-09-28, 10:39pm

Patti, steal any ideas u want!

Lorraine, I am the lamp worker who met u at Chico storage & gave u a concentrator

Thanks both for being happy for me!
Old 2013-09-29, 1:44pm
Salt Box Beads

Ahh, yes I remember! It looks like you are doing well in your new home. I am so glad.

The concentrators are just sitting in the garage until my studio is finished. I have three all needing to be refurbished. We have a OGSI 15 and it will be about 200.00to replace the sieve beds but it is the one I hope to use. The others will become emergency back ups.

Take care
Old 2013-09-29, 4:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellagirl View Post
Kathy! Thanks for recommending Harbor Freight disc magnets.... Just got them today.

They hold door open perfectly.... Tried earth magnets & they were not as effective. Not sure why, but am happy to have issue resolved!
Sorry I did not get back to the thread to respond! Glad you found them.
Old 2013-09-30, 12:12am

QUOTE=hooked on glass;4416514]would magnets work to hold up the doors?
Barbara[/quote]

They work great for me. Above each door of my kiln is a rare earth magnet - very small and very mighty. I also put a few on the metal legs of my torching table, and hang my sparker and glass cutter from them.
Cheryl

[

Last edited by CheriB; 2013-09-30 at 12:23am.
Old 2013-09-30, 12:00pm

Hi Lorraine, yes been watching your posts on your studio progress... Going to be so awesome.

Cheryl, I tried same magnets as yours ....For some reason my door wouldn't/couldn't attatched? Probably "operator error". I am not good at problem solving!

Thankful for LE or I would t be as functional as I am!