No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-12-17, 9:14am
Logan's mommy

Default Indoor Studio?

Quick question....if ventilated properly, is it safe to have an indoor studio when using oxygen and propane? I have a feeling the answer is no but thought I'd run it by you guys. I'm desperately trying to avoid setting it up in the garage but I think I'm SOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-17, 9:20am

My studio is down in my basement. I use to have tanked oxy with the propane bottle outside and a line running into the studio. But now I have an oxycon. And I do have proper ventilation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-17, 9:26am

Mine is inside with plumbed in propane off of our home tank and an oxycon and I have great ventilation, as do many others here. Working outside in FL was not working for me, so I did my research and slowly brought it all together, it took time to get it done right, but I feel it was necessary. It is in my downstairs office.

If you want any details about my vent system feel free to PM me.

Mini-CC& M-5 oxycon

Old 2008-12-17, 4:23pm
jessica barksdale

i know a lot of people do set up inside, but if you have the option setting up in the garage you might want to go with it, in my paranoid opinion, just 'cos god forbid something ever happened it'd be a lot easier to contain.

but in the end, do what feels right for you. good luck!

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2008-12-17, 6:55pm
Salt Box Beads

You also may want to check out if you can it do legally? if you are renting...probably not, if you own or are buying your home setting up in an attached garage or in the house may cancel your homeowners insurance.

An indoor studio should also pass a fire Marshall inspection.

Then there are neighborhood CC& R's that could prevent you from having a studio, and sometimes different codes and restrictions from your city and or county.

All of these should be checked out before you set up or spend a lot of money on a studio and ventilation system.

Good Luck and Holiday Wishes!

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2008-12-22 at 2:39pm.
Old 2008-12-18, 4:03am
The Brighter the Better!

My studio is in an old upstairs kitchen, in a Terrace in Inner City Sydney. I live with my parents and pay board but didn't want to start attaching things permanently to the walls or make great big holes for ventilation! So my solution was to put a kitchen exhaust rangehood that I won on ebay for $10 on legs so it stood above my desk. Since then I have added another one on the side to take away some of the heat. Both have tubing that gets put out the windows and I torch with a door open as well. My Mum is my canary so to speak so if she smells anything, it's back to the drawing board. I have had no complaints since I added the second fan,

Cheers

Jenny

Old 2008-12-18, 5:46am
Logan's mommy

Codes and such? I hadn't even thought of that. I own so I can do what I please to the walls but I didn't know that could cancel your homeowners insurance. Did all of you check on that kind of stuff?

Old 2008-12-18, 10:49am
Salt Box Beads

There are many many threads here on insurancestudio in the home woes. One person posted with pics of a new home they bought and then found out they couldn't even have a studio..Period. of any kind because of the many CC&R"S.

If you keep it a hobby sometimes it is easier but once it is a business you have to pay city/county fees and taxes, you have to list all of your equipment, and well it can get pretty messy.

A lot of people do it on the QT and some places you can have the studio but not teach in it...

I would really read as many threads here as I could to see how others took care of the problems.

Find other lampworkers in your county if you can and talk to them.

Hugs
Lorraine
Old 2008-12-22, 10:43am

Default Its no problem if you do build it well

What do you have to work with? Show your space if you can and your equipment.

Old 2008-12-22, 4:56pm

Safe as long as the propane tank stays outside.

(website in construction)
Old 2008-12-22, 5:39pm
Critter Mom

My studio is a converted attached garage. We did go through the whole "permit" process for the remodel so it's all up to county code and inspected, etc. I haven't looked into the insurance situation yet. As far as business permits go, it depends on your location. Because we're out in a very rural area our county doesn't require a business permit, so we don't get into all the county fees/taxes, etc. I run on an oxygen generator that's out in the garage with a line running to the studio and the propane (little 5 gal bottle) is just outside the building with a line running through the wall into the studio.