Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-05-14, 11:20am
what housework?

Default Hubby's Wallet- O2 Tank or O2 Concentrator?

I'm still working on what to get to go with my new torch.........should I get a concentrator or stick with tanks?
Opinions!!!!!!
Thanks,
shelley
Old 2007-05-14, 11:22am
Gay rights R human rights

Doing Boro or Soft glass?
Old 2007-05-14, 11:38am
what housework?

oops.........soft glass!
shelley
Old 2007-05-14, 11:42am

What torch do you have or planning to get?

Robert
Old 2007-05-14, 12:07pm
what housework?

wow......i'm on a hothead now! ugh.
i'm in the garage. it's attached. propane outside. oxygen would be around the corner inside. hubby's improving vent system now.oxygen shouldn't be a problem...pickup or delivery, either way.
small work (no sculpture), no boro, thinking of a carlisle mini cc or a nortel minor.
Old 2007-05-14, 1:04pm

I would have never bought an O2 tank if I'd known how fast they go empty and how much trouble it is to take it in and switch then take it back home. I'm so dumb I bought 2 tall tanks but it was just twice as much work. With a concentrator you just turn it on then pick out what glass you will be working with and by that time it is ready to go. Plus, you have to keep track of how low the tank is getting (why I bought a back up tank). I think tanks are just a pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(website in construction)
Old 2007-05-14, 1:21pm

i have a minor and i love my concentrator. after that initial purchase...there is really nothing else to buy. i'll snicker here...because with this hobby/profession there is always something cool to buy...
Old 2007-05-14, 1:24pm
Looking for my waistline

I can't get oxy delivered to a home address where I live. I'd have to pick it up. Even if it's delivered, you (or more likely your hubby) will still have to wrestle them in place. So maybe the question is hubby's wallet (for the concentrator) or hubby's back (to wrestle the tanks). Ask him which one is more important to him!
Old 2007-05-14, 1:30pm
Pugs rule

I use a minor torch with a concentrator, it paid for itself after a few months.

Kathie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-05-14, 1:41pm

I have 2 concentrators for my mini-cc. I did with one for a year or so but I like it better with 2. Big savings, seriously. It costs me about $30 for 2 80lb. tanks that I have for the Wildcat and I can easily use those in a week or less even though I don't use that torch that much. You also save on not needing a regulator for the oxycons and they're not cheap either.
I can do fairly big beads and sculpture on the mini with the 2 oxycons. I love flipping those switches and getting my oxy!

Old 2007-05-14, 1:56pm
da General

I am on a Bobcat with one 5 LPM/8.5 PSI oxycon - I would love to upgrade to a generator or larger oxycon one day (no room for two small psi oxycons). No tanked oxygen for me, can't be bothered with the refills.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-05-14, 2:18pm
Crazy tool making guy....

We have a Minor, and it is good on one oxycon and great on two.

-Jeff
Old 2007-05-14, 6:44pm
PyronamixK

There are lots of benefits to using a 5 LPM concentrator with a Minor (or similar sized torch) for soft glass.

It can pay for itself rather quickly and after that, it pays you in terms of money saved. You don't have to worry about chaining a tank to the wall or carrying it in and out of your studio. You don't need a pressure regulator. You don't have to worry about running out of oxygen while in the middle of a bead.

When I got my first concentrator, I was so excited. I felt free and I loved it. I told everyone I could about it and when the lady who sold it to us decided to retire, she asked me if I wanted to take over her business selling them. I did.