No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-24, 3:57pm
tiptrinket

Default Hot head users- please help!

Has anyone using a hot head used the MAPP gas in the shorter, wider canister? I bought one and my NEW hot head just suddenly goes out. No sputtering, drop in pressure or no warning. Just goes out. I have several beads crack because I can't get my bead into the fiber blanket, my torch lit back, and the bead warmed back up. Please, does anyone have any suggestions, or has had the same problem.Thank you.
Old 2010-07-24, 6:54pm
one day at a time

Can you get bulk propylene or other fuel similar to MAPP (chemtaine is one) from your local welding shop? You should be able to get an exchangable tank account for a 30lb or even a 60lb. Way better than those small canisters and you will save a lot of money. The pressure remains the same with no drops and freezing up.
Old 2010-07-24, 7:30pm
And silence is golden

I agree with Lisi. Get a bulk tank. I got tired of all those piddley canisters causing me grief all the time.
Old 2010-07-26, 4:57pm

BBQ tank & hose adaptors--& basic propane is a wonderful thing also! i used that for over 4 years, am still using the same tank, just with different hoses for my new cricket!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-07-26, 5:04pm
I fart diamonds

Yep. Regular ol' bbq tank of propane with a bulk hose and you'll be in Hot Head heaven.

Old 2010-07-26, 5:06pm

6 years on a HH with bulk propane here. I have tutorials on my site that explain where to be in the flame, etc. Let me know if you have any questions. REALLY make sure ventilation is good with it, please.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-07-28, 11:53am
tiptrinket

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I am in the house working (I know, it's a no-no) and can not hook to a tank. I have a fan pulling the gas away from me.
Soon, I hope to get a torch, but of course then it's what to buy, how to hook it up, etc. My hothead always worked fine until I went to the short,wide canister.
Thanks again!
tiptrinket
Old 2010-07-28, 1:43pm

I had a lot of trouble having colors change/ muddy using propane on my HotHead. When I took one of the weirder reactions to Beads by Design, she told me it was just an effect of using propane on the HotHead. Like a coppery out layer developing on an all blue bead. And all my greens turning red.

So I switched to MAPP. Which works well, I haven't had that problem again, but obviously it's a lot more expensive to buy canisters.

Did anyone else have problem with the colors changing like that? I tried to work in the cooler spot of the flame, and it certainly took a long time to get any glass to melt. But I'm new enough to be unsure.