Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2013-04-11, 11:23am

Default Hothead torch shooting flames from sides :(

I have messed around with lampworking for a few years now with simple torches and propane tanks and decided to make a studio area in my garage.

I purchased a kiln and a set from Sundance Glass that had the work surface and the clamps to hold the propane bottle,

I went to light it for the first time, got a nice blue flame and after about 10 seconds flame came shooting out of the vent holes on the torch. Thinking it was totally a fluke, I ran it a second time, thinking for some reason it wasn't getting enough gas (no idea why I thought this) I turned it up higher and managed after about 15 seconds again to have a fireball shoot out of the vent, managing to singe off a section of my husband's arm hair.

I don't know what I am doing wrong. I thought hotheads did not need a regulator or any special equipment. I have the hothead attached to a regular propane bottle you'd pick up at Lowe's for small projects.

Thanks for any help!
Old 2013-04-11, 12:06pm
Salt Box Beads

Did you call Sundance? Give them a chance to walk through some scenarios with you and if they can't fix the problem I am sure they will replace the torch.
Old 2013-04-11, 12:16pm

I wanted to be sure it wasn't user error before I called them. Thanks.
Old 2013-04-11, 1:50pm
I speak Murrini!

I've had this happen a couple times - in my case it was due to the HH having been dropped and a few of the "innards" coming slightly ajar...

When the torch is cool, try testing the sleve (this is the top-most screw on portion of the HH torch) to see if it's loose. Tighten everything by hand as you don't want to make it so tight that you can't loosen it later if you want to. This may resolve the problem...

Let us know how it goes - and be careful!!!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2013-04-11, 8:45pm
Echo's Mother

A hot head is designed to work with MAPP gas, not propane
Old 2013-04-11, 9:16pm
Senior Moment

I've had the same thing happen once with MapPro gas (and have used propane canisters, but it's too dirty for the HH IMHO) and it appeared to be because something was partially blocking the flame end of the torch. I took one of those computer keyboard sprayers (the kind that comes with the straw to blow cookie crumbs out from between the keys) and used to blow thru all the open areas of the torch while it was cool. In my case I think I had a bit of glass from a rod that popped off and got in there.

That all being said, a brand new, unused torch shouldn't be doing that. Contact Sundance and exchange it.

Alli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-04-11, 10:58pm
burnin' glass just becuz

this has happened to me a couple times - usually means the torch head is loose (likely from jostling during transit). Starling isn't it? To fix, immediately turn off the torch, unhook the gas tank, twist off the torch head (it screws on/off) and then put it back on and check the seal. If it looks even, then try it lighting again. If torch's still shooting flames out the side, then might be a defect and i'd contact the supplier for a replacement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2013-04-11, 11:00pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box E Creations View Post
you can use a HH with both. the Mapp burns slightly hotter and burns cleaner so good if you work with a lot of transparents, otherwise propane is just fine (and quite a bit cheaper)

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2013-04-11, 11:20pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
MAPP is just propane with an additive to make it burn hotter and cleaner.

Old 2013-04-12, 7:18am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Not exactly.... MAPP gas's propane content was any where for 7% to 27% depending on "vintage" and who mixed it.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAPP_gas

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-04-12 at 7:33am.
Old 2013-04-16, 7:11pm
Senior Moment

Btw, if you read the Wiki Dale linked, you'll realize you basically cannot get MAPP gas in the states anymore. It is no longer in production and hasn't been for about 5 years. The substitute is MapPro (propylene), which works fine IMHO.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-04-17, 7:33am

Default too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
. . . (the kind that comes with the straw to blow cookie crumbs out from between the keys) . . .
Old 2013-04-23, 4:12pm

Once you get it working correctly, visit Nikki's tutorial on "where" to put your glass in the flame
http://www.nlcbeads.com/articles.php
for the best colors in glass (and she used to make all her beads with propane before she moved up to a "bigger" torch--I used propane with my hothead too--it works just fine if you're in the right spot in the flame...cheaper too!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2013-08-25, 9:18am

Thumbs up Thanks for the hot head tutorial!

I am just starting out. My first order of glass, safety glasses and bead release is in the mail now and I will be using a hot head. Thank you for sharing this info! Easy to understand and exactly what I will be trying to do. Wish you were closer to southern Kentucky, I would drop by. Lampwork,ect. is a fantastic way to learn and connect with tallented and experienced artists.
Old 2013-09-05, 8:21am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Does not matter, works equally well with either fuel.... Besides MAPP gas is no longer available in North America, replace is MAP-PRO which is propylene gas...

Dale

Old 2013-09-05, 8:25am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
No....... MAPP is not propane with additive.... MAPP a stabilized mixture of methylacetylene (propyne) and propadiene....

Dale