No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-03-06, 1:04pm
And silence is golden

Default Bead release mixing tool

This handy-dandy tool is a must-have for any lampwork studio! It was picked up for .99 cents at a store called Marc's in Ohio. It's no bigger than a Sharpie marking pen in girth, and about the length of an electric toothbrush. It has a little fan-like propeller blade on the end. the original purpose of this little guy is for mixing cocktails. I'm thinking that it would come in pretty handy for mixing bead release! Here is a link to a picture of the gizmo.
Old 2014-03-06, 1:36pm
Dynamic Duo

I would be afraid of it frothing the release too much, introducing tiny air bubbles which will come back to haunt you while making a bead. Even just stirring mine with a thick mandrel does this, and I always have to remember to let the release sit for about 20 minutes for any bubble to rise and come to the top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-03-06, 1:54pm
And silence is golden

Michael, I would think that any mixing device is going to create air bubbles. And any seasoned lampworker would have enough sense to tap the bead release container to get the bubbles to come to the surface. It is a good reminder that dried, bubbled bead release becomes less effective at holding while working the bead in the flame. Thank you.
Old 2014-03-06, 7:52pm
honorary bead lady

Ali just uses a mandrel bent into an s shape chucked into a drill to stir hers
Old 2014-03-06, 10:07pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I just drop a few of my "fuglies" in the container and shake away! Works great.

Regards, Jack

Old 2014-03-07, 6:42am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post

Regards, Jack
I do this and it makes bubbles too, but like Shrimp explained, tapping the container works to get them to come up to the surface.
Old 2014-03-07, 6:45am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post

Regards, Jack
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I do this and it makes bubbles too, but like Shrimp explained, tapping the container works to get them to come up to the surface.
And yep.

Old 2014-03-07, 7:41am
Ready to hit the road

I make my own blend, and use a cheapie single serve blender ($15 at Walmart). Works very nice.

Old 2014-03-07, 10:43am
And silence is golden

I have done most of those techniques. This was just gifted to me by a friend who thought that it would come in handy for mixing my bead release. The price of $1.00 makes it even more attractive, compared to the $40 for the same item on Ebay, and the $15 for the single serve blender at Wal-mart. This will come in handy when my bead release has sat long enough that it literally dries up, and needs to be rehydrated. The fugly bead shake will always be my blending choice. I am glad that Michael did point out that frothy bead release causes issues. I never knew that. Thanks Michael!