No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-03-20, 7:14am
Karen James

Default I want to try some DH glass

I've never tried any of the Double Helix glasses before. I know, waaaayyyy behind the times, but I'm catching up!

I've been reading some threads, and I get the impression that some of the DH glass is easier to strike than others. I'd prefer to start with some that I could have some success with first. Or maybe I should say, that I would be less likely to fail with, LOL! So, those of you that use it, what are some colors that would be good to try out first.

Thanks!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Karen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2014-03-20, 7:16am

Striking - Terranova 2.1

Reducing - Triton

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2014-03-20, 7:19am
Karen James

Thanks, Melissa! I'm glad that you added the "striking" and "reducing" annotations. That helps a lot.

Karen

Old 2014-03-20, 8:50am
Shelarious

I think Psyche is super easy to work with. It's a reduction glass.

Old 2014-03-20, 9:18am
I'm meeeeelting

I don't have time to do a search right now or I'd try to post a link for you, Karen, but somewhere on LE, there's a chart that Hayley Tsang posted of which silver glass colors strike and which reduce. It's super helpful.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-03-20, 9:35am
Wonder-wench

Fire Lotus is my favorite striker, TAG brand, so far. Work it till it's white hot and clear, take it out of the heat until it stops glowing, then gently reheat till it starts to darken. I usually encase with clear, in that case I find the hot clear will cause it to strike so I go very easy on that first reheat after cool.

Psyche is an easy reducer, work it however, then flash through a mostly propane flame (sometimes called dragon's breath) until it just starts to get a metallic shine (the silver is coming to the surface "gasping for oxygen"), then add dots, squiggles, encasing or whatever of clear or a light transparent to trap the shine for a lovely light blue mother of pearl effect.

use the thread search tool to find a helpful threads on a lot of these silver glasses.

Last edited by AmorphousDesigns; 2014-03-20 at 12:21pm. Reason: Fire lotus is TAG
Old 2014-03-20, 10:18am
Storm Queen

Fire Lotus is TAG, not DH.

Old 2014-03-20, 11:10am
Karen James

Thank you all!
Felicia, I'm going to go search out that thread right now. Thank you!

Karen

Old 2014-03-20, 12:20pm

DH also sells a sampler set of both the striking and the reducing glass.
Old 2014-03-20, 12:40pm
da General

Here is the link to the list Felicia mentioned. Unfortunately SE9 was from 2012 so the list isn't up to date. Double Helix's site shows you which glass is reducing, striking, and both.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...23&postcount=4

Click on Reducing, Striking, or Combination:
http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com/glassrods.aspx

Depending on how you plan on using the glass - as an entire bead, as surface decoration, and/or encased under clear - I have different favorites depending on the application and be able to recommend some if you let us know.

ETA: Want to clarify that Dragon's Breath flame is ALL propane – and raging as in really pumped up – with NO oxygen, not "mostly" propane. Even a drop of oxygen will make your beads sooted up black. You may clean the soot by using an oxidizing flame, however.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2014-03-20 at 12:48pm.
Old 2014-03-20, 2:03pm
Karen James

Thanks, Istandalone!

Haley, thank you for the link. I found and saved several threads, including that one, that you posted in. The more I'm reading, the more I'm realizing that so much of getting good color/reaction from the glass is knowing if you need to give it lots of oxy or reduce it. I can see once I get some, I'm going to have to keep it separated according to that criteria!

Karen

Old 2014-03-20, 3:52pm

I bought the reducing sample pack from DH and been loving it. I mighty also suggest AKD's Storm tutorial to go with it. It really helps you get the most out of some of those colors. I've had good luck with Aurae so far. Still experimenting with the rest...

"I'd rather have glassy friends than classy friends."
Old 2014-03-20, 6:12pm
Karen James

I have Amy's storming tutorial, Michele. I used BE lusters for storming. That proves just how amazing that tutorial is. I got some great results with it. Thank you for the information! I'll take all I can get!

Karen

Old 2014-03-22, 7:23pm
Storm Queen

Thanks you two! I'm glad you like the tutorial.

Old 2014-03-22, 8:20pm

The Silver Glass Exchanges are some of the best information around. Maybe you could get a couple later ones. I refer to them all the time. You can't remember all the info on each glass and this is a great reference.
Edited to mention Dawn's tutorial on silverglass is wonderful.
Old 2014-03-23, 7:22am
Karen James

You are welcome, Amy, but it is the truth!

Pat, thank you for pointing me toward those threads. I was reading, I really should say skimming through them. I assumed they were just exchanges. I had no idea how much information was in each of them. I've added several to my subscribed threads.

Thanks again for helping!!!

Karen