Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2009-07-15, 12:12pm
*Desa Elliott*

Default I need advice...

Hi Everyone,
I am thinking about purchasing a Jim Moore Bead Releaser. My question is, if a bead is really stuck on the mandrel, will it take the bead off? Here is the situation: I am using Super Blue bead release with pressed beads as well as spacers, etc. It is great stuff because it is not affected by our Midwest humidity as much. The downside is that I have arthritis in my hands and have a hard time taking the beads off of the mandrel when they are done. I have broken a lot of pretty beads because I am using pliers to get my beads off.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What do you all think of the tool? I know from reading the threads that Jim has a very good reputation, and a lot of people have said that the Press is great, but I have not seen anything about the Bead Releaser.

Desa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
G-88
Creideamh, Sùil, Dìlseachd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2009-07-15, 12:15pm
Peerless Thread Killer

You can loosen a stuck bead with a Rivet Tool. See thread below:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have one and it works GREAT!

Old 2009-07-15, 12:17pm
Tweedle Dumb

i dont know about the tool but i use a vice grip on the mandrel nice and tight, and then either a rubberized can opener thingy (the floppy grippy ones, i can't thing for the life of me what they would actually be called) or doubled over packing tape if it is really stuck on. sticky sides out, grips the bead and your fingers. i've cracked very few beads doing it this way. don't know if that might help. and of course it is a cheap alternative.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-07-15, 12:24pm

A good thing to hold beads while getting them off a mandrel is a tourniquet. The rubber kind used in hospitals. It is a flexible soft rubber strip about 1"wide and 18" long. Grip the bead with it and it will give you more of a cushioned grip.

It also works great for stuck jar lids

...Smithy
Old 2009-07-16, 4:23am

I do the same as Jamie Lynne! Vice grips and then I use a piece of rubber excercise strap.
The vice grips work well with any size mandrel.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2009-07-16, 5:41am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Hi Everyone,
I am thinking about purchasing a Jim Moore Bead Releaser. My question is, if a bead is really stuck on the mandrel, will it take the bead off? Here is the situation: I am using Super Blue bead release with pressed beads as well as spacers, etc. It is great stuff because it is not affected by our Midwest humidity as much. The downside is that I have arthritis in my hands and have a hard time taking the beads off of the mandrel when they are done. I have broken a lot of pretty beads because I am using pliers to get my beads off.

What do you all think of the tool? I know from reading the threads that Jim has a very good reputation, and a lot of people have said that the Press is great, but I have not seen anything about the Bead Releaser.

Desa
I have heard that the bead releaser is a good tool, but I've never used one. I do know that the rivet tool works very well and is easy on the hands, so you might want to try that route first. Worst case scenario, you're out $5 - $10.

Old 2009-07-16, 8:22am
Broken

Jim Moore's releaser should work fine. I have one and love it. It's easy on my hands, the rivit thing was still me using my hand power to get beads off and I want to avoid that.

Old 2009-07-16, 9:09am
Oh No You Didn't!

I use the rivet tool as well. I believe it would work just as well as the bead releaser and for a lot less money. The only thing I would recommend you do with the bead rivet tool is make yourself a little leather round with a hole in just big enough for your mandrel to go through, and use it to cushion your bead while using the rivet tool. This will keep the metal from touching your bead and possibly cracking it. Other than that the Rivet tool works great.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2009-07-16, 10:24am

I use the vice grips/pliers & the rubber thingy to get my beads off (& I usually remove them off dry mandrels...but I use fusion bead release--my beads come off pretty easy.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-07-16, 2:04pm

I use a jar full of white vinegar to dissolve bead release. It is the cheapest option yet!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-07-17, 1:08am
picking Job's Tears

Must try that ...
I have a rivet tool though.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-07-17, 9:38pm

I used vice grips and pliers for 17 years....... and have had to have major hand surgery do to it.... sooooo I would recommend anything that you don't have to hold!

From holding onto the pliers for so many years it actually pushed my thumb away..... had to be pulled back in... doesn't that sound lovely! It was a very hard surgery to recover from.......

Also Jim's Bead Releaser won't bend the mandrels..... the rivet tool that I tried would bend the mandrels...... just my two cents ....

Andrea

Old 2009-07-18, 5:30am

Smile

Just a brief note.... I am no expert on commercial "bead releasers" as I don't use them. BUT I DO use the Super Blue sludge. Nobody has touched on this contributing factor.

My recommendation to you is try making sure your release is maybe a tad thicker. I use it exclusiviely for my figurative work because the release is so darn tight- perfect for work that gets a lot of abuse. Unfortunately, it then has it's payback for releasing solid beads. Pretty much all my bead work is hollow, so my contact surfaces are at a minimum. That's my way of "cheating" at the releasing the bead issue

If you are just doing spacers and things like that, go to a more easy beadrelease brand/type. Learn to switch beadrelease depending on the type of work you plan to do. They can compliment the style of bead you will be working on!

I know that Andrea swears by Jim Moore's tools, and though she could be slightly biased by her working relation to the tool maker, I know she is completely forthright in that this special tool has resolved her medical issues raised by the labor of releaseing beads from mandrels. I would trust her opionion 100%. It sounds like you have a serious enough medical issue that would warrent investing in the proper equipment. Still..... give the beadrelease pointers I offered as a combination solution.

Last edited by Ofilia; 2009-07-18 at 5:37am.
Old 2009-07-18, 7:28am

If you soak your beads in white vinegar it will be much easier to get your beads off. You can get one of those plastic jar top openers and just twist the beads off with your entire hand instead of using just your fingers. I have arthritis in my hands too and I can do this.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-07-18, 7:29am
In search of her path....

the rivet tool works really well I have one around here somewhere I was using.
got it cheap at harbor freight.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-07-18, 8:02am
Broken

Can I ask those of you who have the rivit tool, how it takes the stress off your hands? Don't you use your hands to close the tool? I have two fingers that dislocate easily and need something for my tiny mandrels that I don't use my hands at all on.

Old 2009-07-18, 10:01am
balanced but asymmetrical

I'll put in a good word for the Jim Moore bead releaser, it works best for my symmetrical single beads on a mandrel.

Use of the whole arm (one can put body weight behind it) to loosen a bead really is noticeable and a very different motion from twisting or squeezing.

Old 2009-07-21, 9:57am
Peerless Thread Killer

Just another note...If you don't use the proper sized rivet nut for the rivet tool, your mandrels will bend. I did have the smaller ones bend until I figured that out. I also find that when I rest one handle of the tool on my leg, and just gently push down with the other handle while the mandrel is vertical, I do not stress any part of my hands/wrists/forearms. Hope this makes sense, LOL.

I also thin my bead release quite a bit, until it's the consistency of cream, maybe a little thicker. I have no problem with cracking off, and I get the beads off very easily.

I like the vinegar idea though!