No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-01-02, 2:12pm
Puddy Cat Lover

Default Enlarging bead holes using a glass grinder

Hi everyone,

I've learned so much here in the past few years. I'm just giving back a little bit.

I created a quick tutorial on my website on how to enlarge a glass bead hole using a glass grinder and a 1/4" grinder bit. When I use a 3/16" mandrel, the hole will fit the 3/16 tubing, but this hole is never quite big enough for my Pandora bracelet beads. It will fit the narrower Troll bracelets just fine. So, I enlarge the bead holes so I can core them with the 1/4" tubing, which is the perfect size for the Pandora bracelet. I do have 1/4" mandrels, but until recently, I couldn't use them on the beadrollers I have. 3/16" mandrels were the biggest mandrels I could use on the disc beadroller plus which is my favorite of the beadroller collection. So this is my work-a-round. You can also use a 1/4" diamond drill bit on your drill press too. But I find this method very easy and quick.
http://www.jsavinacollection.com/pag...ssBeadHole.php

If you have any question, just PM me.

Enjoy!

J.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-02, 2:56pm
birdergirl ~o~

Nice tut Jeanette thank you !

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2010-01-02, 3:04pm

How very cool Jeanette. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Old 2010-01-03, 10:22am

Nice tut.

face="Comic Sans MS">http://www.adornedintreasure.etsy.com
Old 2010-01-03, 11:19am
Boro Bum

Thanks

AcidFly
Old 2010-01-05, 3:24pm
going crazy

Thanks for sharing.

My button mandrel listed here!
Old 2010-01-05, 3:31pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, this is spiffy! I love BIG HOLE BEADS! Yours are gorgeous!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-05, 3:43pm
Puddy Cat Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Oh, this is spiffy! I love BIG HOLE BEADS! Yours are gorgeous!

De
Thank you De!

And you're very welcome everyone. It was my pleasure.

J.

Old 2010-01-05, 4:37pm
I speak Murrini!

And I just purchased a Grinder that had been in Garage Sale a while back...and, lucky for me, didn't sell yet. I also heard from the Admin at the Adult School where I was hoping to get into the Glass Fusing Night Class...they were accepting 6 new students, and received 20 applications on the first day. Good news was mine was #1 - YAY!!! I tell you, it feels like my LUCKY DAY!

(And to think my husband said I was just over-anxious and too organized mailed my application on Saturday with fingers crossed! - HA! Hope he figures out how to work the Nuke-E-Wave on Tuesday nights! )

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-05, 5:08pm
Puddy Cat Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotty dots View Post
I love the word "spiffy"! But the tut is thoroughly spiffy! Your setup looks great too. Have you ever had a bead break in your fingers while the grinder is rotating?

Just a question about your caps, which I also love - what tools do you use to decorate them? I've looked at leather embossing tools, but the patterns don't appeal!

Cheers and many thanks,
Spot
Well, it hasn't happened yet. But there's always a 1st time. I use punches. I've got some from harbor freight and from some Etsy sellers. One of them is RomaZone. Roma Bucanan is a great teacher. She has some videos on her site too.
J.

Old 2010-01-05, 5:10pm
Puddy Cat Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post

And I just purchased a Grinder that had been in Garage Sale a while back...and, lucky for me, didn't sell yet. I also heard from the Admin at the Adult School where I was hoping to get into the Glass Fusing Night Class...they were accepting 6 new students, and received 20 applications on the first day. Good news was mine was #1 - YAY!!! I tell you, it feels like my LUCKY DAY!

(And to think my husband said I was just over-anxious and too organized mailed my application on Saturday with fingers crossed! - HA! Hope he figures out how to work the Nuke-E-Wave on Tuesday nights! )

De
A glass grinder is a beautiful thing to have. I used to teach glass fusing in my studio. It was my favorite class to teach. Have a good time in your class.

J.

Old 2013-01-26, 1:19pm
New Lampworker

Hi Jeanette,
The link to your tutorial on "enlarging bead holes using a glass grinder" no longer works. Could you re-post it? Thanks.
Shirl
Old 2013-01-26, 1:23pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Yes, please repost it.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2013-01-26, 5:37pm
Angie09

I want to see it too......please.