LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-02, 4:59pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Default question on penny press machines....

Hi
Hoping someone knows this. Can you put a dime in one of those penny press machines that you see at amusement parks.....disney, busch gardens?

I have a silver dime I'd like to press but afraid to screw it up. LOL
thanks
sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-02-02, 9:55pm

it will most likely press it, but a penny is bigger than a dime there fore you may loose some of the design.

this was supposed to say that it wouldn't press it........sorry for the typo

Last edited by purpledragonfly; 2012-02-04 at 8:21am.
Old 2012-02-03, 5:37pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Try with a non-silver dime before you put the silver dime in, just to see.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-02-03, 5:42pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Thanks Ladies!! We have legoland right down the road so I was thinking of making a bracelet with silver dimes from the press.
I'll try a regular dime first.......

Old 2012-02-03, 7:05pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Silver is harder on the Mohs scale of hardness than modern pennies, which are now copper coated zinc, or even the old pennies that were mostly copper. So silver dimes might not press as well as pennies, and have less definition of the design.
Old 2012-02-03, 7:06pm
Mr Brutus RIP

should I maybe anneal it first

Old 2012-02-04, 7:30am

Not sure if it will have a bearing on how the machine works, but dimes are thinner than pennies.
Old 2012-02-04, 7:45am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I seriously doubt it's going to work at all well - dimes are all around smaller, thinner, and harder, I suspect it's more likely to break the machine than too emboss your dime - but let us know how it works!

L-111

Old 2012-02-04, 12:03pm
balanced but asymmetrical

I think annealing would be a good move and dead soft silver isn't that hard, try it!

Old 2012-02-05, 9:02pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

I just found out from someone who worked at Disney that there are dime press machines, in addition to penny press machines. So I'd be safe and look for the dime machines.
Old 2012-02-05, 9:41pm
Borovangelist

In my travels to various touristy type things with my kids, I don't think I've ever seen a dime press. They might be kind of rare

|
|
Old 2012-02-06, 11:42am
T.J. made me do it

These are coin operated machines and will likely not function if the incorrect coin is inserted. I know that Disneyland and world both have dime press machines so there is obviously a difference. Below is a list of penny machines and locations:

http://www.pennycollector.com/AreaList.aspx

Old 2012-02-06, 11:58am
Playing with Fire!

When I was a kid, my brother and I used to put pennies, dimes, and quarters on the railroad tracks... it never fails, of course there were some we never found.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2012-02-06, 12:10pm
Mr Brutus RIP

We get disney passes every other year and have never seen a dime press machine here in florida. We have legoland passes and I was hoping to make a lego dime (silver) bracelet with the presses around the park.

Yes, ed we used to do this with our kids when they were young. We are close to the tracks here.....hmmmm maybe I shoudl give it a try.

Old 2012-02-06, 2:54pm
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
We get disney passes every other year and have never seen a dime press machine here in florida. We have legoland passes and I was hoping to make a lego dime (silver) bracelet with the presses around the park.

Yes, ed we used to do this with our kids when they were young. We are close to the tracks here.....hmmmm maybe I shoudl give it a try.
Gosh, and they even have a map for them:

http://www.parkpennies.com/wdwwaltdi...chine-maps.pdf

Old 2012-02-06, 5:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Slawson View Post
When I was a kid, my brother and I used to put pennies, dimes, and quarters on the railroad tracks... it never fails, of course there were some we never found.
This only we tapped them to the tracks, cut down on the loss somewhat.
It was loads of fun though.
Old 2012-02-06, 6:38pm
Burnt Wood Beads

We get the Smashed Pennies everywhere we go. Husband puts two small holes in them and tacks them to a walking stick that he made. Looks really neat!

Old 2012-02-07, 7:46am

Are you wanting to do this to get a lego mark put on them, or just to flatten them for the bracelet? I'd be happy to run them through my rolling mill if all you want is to flatten them.

I doubt a dime would do anything in a penny machine - the rollers are most likely fixed expecting a penny's thickness, and the dime would just slide right through. Assuming the machine would even take it.
Old 2012-02-07, 2:12pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I get them everywhere I go and use them as scrapbooking embellishments. My long-suffering hubby carries a pocket full of quarters and pennies just for my penny-crunching habit.

L-111

Old 2012-02-07, 2:40pm
Mr Brutus RIP

karin, I was actually hoping for a lego design, but thank you for the offer
sue