Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-05-22, 7:23pm

Default Okay, give it to me straight

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kandice; 2012-06-23 at 3:45am.
Old 2006-05-22, 7:32pm

Hi Kandice, Using a little silver once in a while if you have good ventilation is not going to hurt you. I have a similar setup to yours and I use silver and have for years, along with powdered glass, enamels, etc. If your ventilation is sufficient it should be fine. The only concern I could see would be where your torch is aimed. The torch can carry particles out away from your area. So, if, like me, your torch is aimed at a wall, there shouldn't be a problem. If your torch is pointing out into other areas of your home, I might have a little concern.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-05-22, 8:06pm

Thanks Pam! It's aimed at the wall at the outside corner of the house, so that should be good. Do you use a respirator at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam
Hi Kandice, Using a little silver once in a while if you have good ventilation is not going to hurt you. I have a similar setup to yours and I use silver and have for years, along with powdered glass, enamels, etc. If your ventilation is sufficient it should be fine. The only concern I could see would be where your torch is aimed. The torch can carry particles out away from your area. So, if, like me, your torch is aimed at a wall, there shouldn't be a problem. If your torch is pointing out into other areas of your home, I might have a little concern.

Old 2006-05-23, 4:43am
Safety ALWAYS

What size is the vent hood? How far is it above your bench? Does it have baffles (side pieces running down alongside and the back) attached?

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-05-23, 8:37am

It's 500 CFM - it's the size of an average range hood.

It's about two feet above my torch.

It does not have baffles.

Old 2006-05-23, 9:35am
Safety ALWAYS

Well, I was hoping for some actual measurements...however...

Making the assumption that the hood measures approximately 36" wide and 18" deep, this is an area of 4.5 square feet. Since it's an overhead hood without side baffles, you should use 125 CFM per square feet to determine fan CFM. 4.5 times 125 = 562.5.

Your fan, assuming that the measurements are correct, is just a bit short on the CFM's, but should be sufficient given the height above the table.

If you were to drop baffles down and enclose the sides and back, you can use 80 CFM per square foot of hood opening (3 feet wide by 2 feet high = 6 square feet). 6 x 80 = 480 CFM.

What type of ducting are you using? If you are using smooth sided galvanized ducting without any size reduction or a lot of bends, I'd say you are fine.

If you are using flexible ducting, I'd strongly suggest that you replace it with smooth sided galvanized metal as the flex ducting is severely restricting the amount of air flowing through the duct.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-05-24, 12:35am

Okay, more specifically:

My 500 CFM hood measures 30" x 23", and has 2 nine inch fans.
It hangs 23" above the tip of my torch, and is placed about 6 inches behind.

My torch/hood sit about 70 inches away from my make-up air, which is a 44" wide, screened, sliding glass door open all the way. The room is decently large, but is not closed from the rest of the house. I am at one end of the room, which is twice as long as it is wide.

The ducting for the hood is a combination of flexible and non-flexible. The non-flexible pieces are the ones that insert into the wall and into the hood, and are 9" in diameter, and bend at a 45 degree angle. Flexible ducting connects them - about 5 feet of it.

Old 2006-05-26, 7:48am
Safety ALWAYS

Kandice, I apologize for not responding sooner - I was out of the office all day Wednesday for divorce mediation, and spent Thursday getting caught up.

Your current hood measures 4.79 square feet, and times 125 CFM per square foot, comes up with 600 CFM required, so your 500 is undersized for your hood size.

The biggest problem I see is the flexible ducting. You are losing about 50% of your air flow (CFM's) because of the flex ducting.

The very first thing I would do is replace the flex ducting with solid wall galvanized ducting. That will improve your overall air flow.

Old 2006-05-26, 11:25am

Can I have solid ducting that spans 6 feet? I am not able to move the hood to the exact spot in the ceiling that the ducting is hooked to. I have been thinking of upgrading my hood, though. Just have to save up the money.

I do appreciate your input. I am checking into things here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
Kandice, I apologize for not responding sooner - I was out of the office all day Wednesday for divorce mediation, and spent Thursday getting caught up.

Your current hood measures 4.79 square feet, and times 125 CFM per square foot, comes up with 600 CFM required, so your 500 is undersized for your hood size.

The biggest problem I see is the flexible ducting. You are losing about 50% of your air flow (CFM's) because of the flex ducting.

The very first thing I would do is replace the flex ducting with solid wall galvanized ducting. That will improve your overall air flow.

Old 2006-05-26, 12:52pm
Safety ALWAYS

Oh, sure! You will probably have to use strap supports to hang it, but rigid wall ducting can be run for very long distances.

Use the silver duct tape (not standard fabric duct tape) to seal the joints where the duct sections meet and it's usually a good idea to tape the long joint where the duct section is put together.

Old 2006-05-26, 1:42pm

Very cool - thank you for all your time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
Oh, sure! You will probably have to use strap supports to hang it, but rigid wall ducting can be run for very long distances.

Use the silver duct tape (not standard fabric duct tape) to seal the joints where the duct sections meet and it's usually a good idea to tape the long joint where the duct section is put together.