Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-07-07, 10:48am
can't stop the signal

Default apartment work space? Is it doable? help a newbie, please

Frustrated New York City newbie here
(posted this elsewhere by mistake - sorry)

..the only possible thing I can set up in my 1 br apt. is an HH with canisters - priced them at Home Depot (which finally arrived here just last year) and they seem reasonable at $7.80 or so and I'm willing to deal with that particular frustration.

But I'm concerned about ventilation. Whatever I set up will have to be moveable - I'm thinking a table moved near a window with a fan venting out...is that sufficient for a Hot Head? Any suggestions as to what to cover the carpet with?

I'm so jealous of everyone out there with SPACE
magpie
Old 2005-07-07, 12:24pm
Safety ALWAYS

For temporary installations, and to keep your initial costs down, a window fan plus an open window on the other side of the room or apartment, or even a different outside wall will work. Be sure the window fan fits securely in the window opening, and that there is no way for the exhausted air to blow back in around the fan.

Try to find a fan that moves at least 350 CFM.

For protecting your floors, it is going to depend on how easy to access your apartment - for example, can you bring in 2 x 4 (feet) or 4 x 8 (feet) sheets of plywood or tempered hardboard?

In my studio, I use composition board, 3/4" thick, and 1/4" tempered hardboard on top of that, to provide a wear surface.

I've also seen sheet metal layed down, lineoleum sheet goods, concrete backer board, and ceramic tile. There are about as many ways to protect your floors as there are people who need to do it. Try to choose something that won't burn, or ignite immediately if something hot is dropped on it, and also something that has a fairly smooth surface to make cleaning easy.
Old 2005-07-07, 12:59pm
can't stop the signal

Mike - Thanks for the info. I can have the lumberyard cut the plywood into bite size pieces so that I can carry them and so that I can store them behind or under some furniture when not in use.

magpie
aka judy
Old 2005-07-07, 2:31pm
Boldly going

Be aware that you will likely be in violation of your lease with any kind of flamable compressed gas in the apartment. There's likely a provision in the lease about flamables and fire codes, etc.

With that said, just make sure you cover your but. If the landlord should require short notice entry, make sure you'll be able to make everything legit before they enter.

And, dispose of the MAPP canisters correctly. Don't put them in the community dumpster or a garbage can. It will raise eyebrows and cause questions (not to mention I think it creates an unsafe situation for the garbage collectors).

Be safe and smart. Just my $0.02 worth.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2005-07-07, 2:50pm
Life in the slow lane

You can also use heavy duty rubber mats for flooring. My friend just purchased some that were made from old rubber tires and they are thick.

The disposal of canisters can go into the garbage. I checked on this when I was working with them myself. Just be sure they are completely drained. I would pull stringer with the last remnants of gas.

Old 2005-07-07, 6:31pm

Judy,

I read somewhere recently that propane tanks are illegal in Manhattan. That's a real bummer for when you want to upgrade. Even if it's not true, I have also heard that it is illegal in many places to have propane tanks on balconies.

Sorry your situation isn't ideal - but if you can afford to live in Manhattan these days, you have something on your side.

Welcome and the best of luck,

Debbie
(NYC, 1984-1990)