Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-12, 6:10pm
Happy Inner Dragon

These... And if you unravel the orange rubber rings, you get a wavy balloon thingy.
http://www.mastainternational.com/Detail/MI_120.html

Sadly it was common practice to also dock dairy cows' tails for many, many years. Not any more, thankfully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA# P107
Old 2012-12-12, 6:42pm

Eek! Those are evil looking. I lived on a vegetable farm (thank gawds) but the neighbor had dairy cows and he didn't crop tails. I don't think that was usual practice here in the states. I wonder why they did that.

We are SO hi-jacking this thread. Sorry Stephen!

Old 2012-12-12, 6:49pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Yeah, sorry, Stephen.

Um, how is your quest going, anyway?

SRA# P107
Old 2012-12-12, 8:48pm

Howdy all! Been a little busy with misc. stuffs. No worries on the thread at all. Have been enjoying and learning. Still curious as to what Essie played with though.... ;D

Thanks for the measurement Rebecca as I have no calipers, and thinking the pliers might fall into the hands of my DW, so probably won't get those either...

Stephen
Old 2012-12-13, 4:34am

This might be slightly off topic but I was wondering if you people had researched the safety of soft glasses. If I understand well, the part that would be made with glass is the part that goes in the mouth so it has to be foodsafe, right ? I believe most soft glasses are not as they can release chemicals at the surface. Boro would probably be safe except maybe for some specific colors. Don't know if there's a place where this info can be found though...

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-13, 9:03am
Now part of the Dark Side

Most table ware and well as bottles and jars are soda lime glass, not boro. Soda Lime is food safe.
Old 2012-12-13, 12:07pm

Low COE soda lime yes, higher COE not always. Effetre is known for leaking soda for one.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-13, 1:30pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I've wondered about this too, and did several searches when I was starting to do testing, and came up with very little about the effect of glycerine-based substances leaching from soft glass.
So I just kept the silver/metal-laden colours away from the ends, and used bases of black and clear mostly, for the cores. Not sure, though about other base colours like Ivory or red, blue etc, which I've also used for fitment testing.

Having said all that, I have also make my concerns very clear to my beta testers, and encouraged them to do their own research as well. And funnily enough, there seems to be a few chemists who are members of the Aussie forum.

And, surprise, surprise, another thing against the idea of coldworking (grinding) ends, since I'm not sure whether possible leaching would be exacerbated with the surface compromised. I'm also not sure whether the rough inside hole would be considered the same as a ground surface, given that glass laid on a mandrel merely sets on the clay, whereas grinding actually opens a surface.

I'd be curious to hear more about this, too.
And, for the record, to date, I have not sold any tips, or have put any up for sale. Still working on design etc.

SRA# P107

Last edited by essiemessy; 2012-12-13 at 1:33pm.