Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-08-06, 10:28pm
Melting for Glass!

Default Copper Red - Any tips on using this color?

I managed to purchase some Copper red at the Gathering, but with a sticker price of $42.00 lb, I want to make sure I make the best use of it.
Any tips on using this color? Combines well with???

HELP!!!

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
Cecilia

Cecilia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-07, 12:06am
CA Queen Bitch

Hi Cecilia! Welcome to Lampwork Etc.!

Is it Copper red or the red copper green?? AKKK! Is there a new color I don't have! LOL!! If it's the red copper green it makes beautiful encased flowers! It turns partly pink under the clear. My favorite flower color! Do you have a picture of it?

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peek A Boo!

Last edited by Rhapsody Fire Beads; 2005-08-07 at 12:09am.
Old 2005-08-07, 3:08am
Word to your mother

I just worked up a test bead with red copper green (got it in a lottery from Howaco). While it's a lovely shade of green, I wasn't particularly impressed. Coppery green with some red/sienna streaks in it. I am working on a HH so maybe it needs more heat for something incredible to happen.

I also tried it with some Evil Purple and it just looked flat...nothing special. I would be interested in knowing if there was something it did special under different heat/color combos.

Old 2005-08-07, 3:33am
Certified Glassaholic!

The word is that the new batch of red copper green reduces to give a strong red color whereas stays more green in a neutral flame. Try playing around with it. It's lovely on it's own.

Check out Monique's advice on how to use this glass:

http://jodelglass.com/shopsite_sc/st...l/page172.html

Last edited by yeepers; 2005-08-07 at 7:06am.
Old 2005-08-07, 6:47am
A True Woofer

Any of the blues/greens with copper in it will reduce to red. This is not the desired way of bringing out the red in red copper green. The beauty of the red copper green is that under clear, there will be reddish streaks throughout the green. Yum!

Old 2005-08-07, 8:07am
<--- Time traveler

My favorite RCG bead EVER is a floral beads Sachiko made with an encased RCG background. Maybe she will chime in and give all her secrets away!?!
Old 2005-08-07, 11:14am
Surrounded by Trouble

Kimberly.... THUD OMG am I in love with this seahorse. He is just to die for. Look at the amazeing colors.

Cecilia, My dear friend, so glad to see you here. I did some test beads on the Copper Green Red we purchase at the Gathering. It IS a great Copper Green Red so no worries that you wasted your money. Now I wish I had bought more of it.

One quick and easy test to do with Copper Green Red is make a base bead out of it, add dots of clear and melt in. If you see a great pink color like in Kimberly's bead under your clear you will know it is a Good Copper Green Red. If you do the same test with Copper Green the dots will turn Yellow, so when it is just a copper green rod with streaks of red in it the dots will only turn yellow.
Old 2005-08-07, 11:32am
Melting for Glass!

Hi Shawn!! Yes finally made some time to post in this GREAT site!
BTW it was WONDERFUL to see you and get one of your BEAUTIFUL! friendship beads (yipeee!)

Since the rod is red I thought it was Copper red! Duh~

Anyway, many thanks for the tips I will check it out.

Cecilia

Old 2005-08-07, 3:42pm
Word to your mother

Here are some pics of my test bead from RCG. Like I said, I wasn't overly impressed...but then, maybe I'm not doing something right.

It's kinda hard not to love Kimberly's example. Does anybody have anything else?
Attached Images

Old 2005-08-07, 4:43pm

Kimberly,
Your seahorse is a killer!! WOW!! Paula