Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-05, 3:20pm

Default uv glasses

I have to use my uv glasses over reading glasses when I play around on the torch and it's a pain in the A. Do they make uv glasses with different powers like reading glasses or is there another solution.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e-mail:
Old 2012-12-05, 3:24pm
Loving learning

Do you mean didymium (sp?) for soft glass?
You can get some that clip on your glasses.
There are face shields, and also you can get something that goes between you & the torch, bench shield maybe?

You can also get prescription but I think they're pretty pricey so I haven't gone that route yet. There are some stick on magnifiers but I couldn't find any in my strength.
Old 2012-12-05, 3:30pm

Like these?

http://www.artcoinc.com/phillips_saf...reader_glasses

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-12-05, 4:14pm

Thank you both. Malcolm I just spent a lot of money on new tools, one being an expando drum so $145 is to steep at the moment.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2012-12-05, 4:35pm

you can also get stick-on reader lenses for about $30 on ebay and amazon. They stick with a little water to the inside of your diddy lenses.

They used to be about $15, but went out of stock everywhere last winter, and came back at double the price. I'm too cheap to pay the $30, so haven't ordered them, hoping the price will drop again.
Old 2012-12-05, 4:49pm

Malcolm has the stick-ons on his site for $20. The link is in his link. I swear Malcolm has everything! lol
That's what I use in both of my lampworking shades.

Old 2012-12-05, 5:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Malcolm has the stick-ons on his site for $20. The link is in his link. I swear Malcolm has everything! lol
Hi Rebecca, that may work. Do you them and are they any good.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2012-12-05, 5:51pm

Yes, they're fine. They do have to be re-positioned and/or cleaned once in a while or things get fuzzy but I like them very much.

Old 2012-12-05, 5:58pm

Quote:
Yes, they're fine. They do have to be re-positioned and/or cleaned once in a while or things get fuzzy but I like them very much.
Thank you, that is a big help.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2012-12-05, 7:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
you can also get stick-on reader lenses for about $30 on ebay and amazon. They stick with a little water to the inside of your diddy lenses.

They used to be about $15, but went out of stock everywhere last winter, and came back at double the price. I'm too cheap to pay the $30, so haven't ordered them, hoping the price will drop again.
Quote:
I am out of stock of these too

The manufacturer had a serious problem with their overseas manufacturing last year, so they chose to build a new factory here in the States. The new factory was supposed to be finished last Spring, then last Summer, then last Fall, then ...

I've been waiting over a year and a half for these to be available again.

Malcolm

(and yes, I know ... I do need to update our website ...)

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-12-06, 7:02am
Glass-aholic

I wear glasses, not readers, but I feel your pain! I use to do exactly what you are doing.

I took the arms off my last pair of glasses and with a small piece of wire or elastic cord tied them to the front of my didy's! It's awesome. I do occasionally need to clean them, but its pretty easy to remove them, (but they stay out where I need them too) you can position them higher/lower for your needs, and they have cheap readers at the dollar store if you need a pair to play with, or want to test a different shape lense.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-12-06, 9:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I wear glasses, not readers, but I feel your pain! I use to do exactly what you are doing.

I took the arms off my last pair of glasses and with a small piece of wire or elastic cord tied them to the front of my didy's! It's awesome. I do occasionally need to clean them, but its pretty easy to remove them, (but they stay out where I need them too) you can position them higher/lower for your needs, and they have cheap readers at the dollar store if you need a pair to play with, or want to test a different shape lense.
That is a great Idea, Thanks.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2012-12-06, 11:06pm

Hi Bob, I got a pair of glasses from Delphi. They are called White Pro Safety Glasses SB. They include an insert to take your local optometrist and have filled with your prescription. Here is the URL: http://images.delphiglass.com/image_new/210298.jpg
I love mine - they are perfect. The only thing I don't care for is the ability to read the true colour of glass you are working with but I couldn't ask for better comfort or clarity to work. Hope this helps - Di
Old 2012-12-08, 2:36pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Malcolm, how do I order the 1.5 stick-ons from your website? There's no "add to cart" buttons.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-12-08, 4:41pm
Student!

I use fit overs that I can wear over my glasses.

I bought them directly from Phillips but others may sell them for less.

They will work for years (while my eyesight does that old age thing!)

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2012-12-10, 10:22am
honorary bead lady

Or you can kludge something together...
Attached Images