Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-08-03, 10:34am
Susan

Default Under Kiln Surface Question

I posted this in another forum and Im getting very little response. I thought maybe someone could help me here:

I was keeping my kiln on a sheet of steel on my work table. I moved my studio to the basement and I wanted to open up my work table space by putting the kiln on a workbench that is already in the room. The Kiln is now sitting on it's bricks on wood at the moment. I really like the height since now when I put my beads into the little bead door Im slightly lower than the door and I can guide my beads in to the rack easier. Im thinking of getting another sheet of galv. steel and putting it down to go under the kiln. Hubby says that won't lessen the heat being absorbed into the wood. If I go a tile route, I think I would have to get some kind of heat treated stone or tile. Anyone else have any advice? I don't know at what point wood is "combustable" or if that is much of a worry.

What is your kiln sitting on?

Thanks for any advice
Old 2005-08-03, 10:49am
Crispy Critter

My kiln is sitting on some loose ceramic tiles on top of my cheap-o folding banquet table. The kiln legs keep it high enough off the surface that it doesn't get too hot underneath.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-03, 10:53am
CA Queen Bitch

Mine is sitting on ceramic tiles, but it doesn't get hot under there so I have all my frit in plastic containers under there too. It doesn't get hot on top either. what kind of kiln do you have??

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-08-03, 10:56am
Safety ALWAYS

Don't worry about it. As long as the bottom of the kiln has an air space of at least 3", you have plenty of space. You can put galvanized under the air space and that will protect the wood from combustion.

It's the air space that does the trick. It will still get warm from radiated heat, but it won't combust, won't even smoke, and shouldn't even smell like warm wood.

The guideline is usually 6" from combustible materials, but as long as there is a metal surface between the heat source and the combustible, you are fine.
Old 2005-08-03, 11:25am
Susan

Hehehe! Why even go back to that "other" forum.. Thanks you guys! I got so much more info in a short space of time! I'll work on getting a new piece of steel to go under the kiln!