No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2014-06-14, 2:55pm
Melody of Glass

Default Designing a studio...

Check this out! I played for several hours this aft designing my new studio (which I may or may not have any money for ). It's the same size as the area of the basement where my studio is today but I'm only using half of it for glass. My metal studio is my dining room. I own some of this stuff already. I would have to drywall and put in flooring, though. And lots of cabinetry. You can't see the fish tank I squeezed in there unless you take the 3d tour on the site. Fun to play, anyway. Free design software: www.floorplanner.com
Attached Images

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-06-15, 7:46am

Way cool besides the fact that it's almost exactly the same design I came up with for mine (still in progress). Do you make jewelry or ornaments? I don't see a design area.
Old 2014-06-15, 7:52am
Melody of Glass

I do some jewelry making. I thought I might use the island space for that. It's a good point, though, in that my jewelry supplies would need to be stored somewhere and it would probably be much better to have a work area right near them. Hmm...maybe I will play again today! Might have to add back the workstation I removed. I was thinking more of a computer workstation which I don't really need but perhaps a jewelry workstation....

ETA - I think the right spot might be beside my jeweler's bench since that's where all my pliers live.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by caliente; 2014-06-15 at 7:55am.
Old 2014-06-15, 9:10am
Salt Box Beads

Very nice and what a fun tool for designing.

I did my layouts by hand and eventually put my metalsmithing and torching benches back to back so I could use one hood for exhaust and bring in fresh air for both benches with minimal ducting and only one exhaust fan and one intake fan each. I only have about 6.6 feet by 13.5 so was very hard to figure it all out.

It definitely is a good thing to draw up plans first and you have a done a nice job. Thanks for sharing.
Old 2014-06-15, 10:49am
Melody of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Very nice and what a fun tool for designing.

I did my layouts by hand and eventually put my metalsmithing and torching benches back to back so I could use one hood for exhaust and bring in fresh air for both benches with minimal ducting and only one exhaust fan and one intake fan each. I only have about 6.6 feet by 13.5 so was very hard to figure it all out.

It definitely is a good thing to draw up plans first and you have a done a nice job. Thanks for sharing.
That's a good idea, Lorraine. I debated a little and I'm still waffling a bit. That is the current location of my hood but I really don't think it would be the end of the world to try to move the ventilation. Ideally, I would love it being over the island and use that both to torch and for anything else that needs venting. Maybe have a couple of hoses come down and change out to an in-line fan system. That would be quieter as well, which I would love.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-06-15, 1:03pm
Salt Box Beads

That sounds like a great plan and quieter is nice too.
Old 2014-06-15, 4:13pm
Slogan Challenged...

heehee, I like how you included a dog bed

I like an open floor plan, but all those work spaces next to the wall that involve heat make me a little nervous. Also getting stuck in the corner of a nice big room and looking at the wall with the tv to the side (which would be so cool to have!).

Could you make the island a torching station with a vent overhang? Maybe share the space with the soldering/metalwork area like someone else suggested. Edited as I re-read your posts and see you already thought of that. Well, I think that would be neat!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2014-06-15 at 4:41pm.
Old 2014-06-15, 6:39pm
Melody of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
heehee, I like how you included a dog bed

I like an open floor plan, but all those work spaces next to the wall that involve heat make me a little nervous. Also getting stuck in the corner of a nice big room and looking at the wall with the tv to the side (which would be so cool to have!).

Could you make the island a torching station with a vent overhang? Maybe share the space with the soldering/metalwork area like someone else suggested. Edited as I re-read your posts and see you already thought of that. Well, I think that would be neat!
I was torching today (fighting with the spiders) and assessing the situation. I'd have to run the natural gas and ventilation over there which might not be that easy. I was eyeing up the ductwork which would be in the way. I also forgot the minor detail of the pole in the middle of the room that holds up the house. There's a chance I might need that.

I have my computer just to my left watching movies or whatever (Seinfeld, Season 3 today). I find I don't really ever look at it anyway - just listen - so the TV position might not be too big an issue. There is also plumbing. *sigh* Nothing about this sport is cheap.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-06-15, 9:47pm
Slogan Challenged...

True! And ceilings are important too, darn it.

Facebook:

Etsy: