No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-10-04, 3:59pm
Cat Servant

Default Kiln trouble

Oh crappity, crap, crap, crap. I have an EK Miller Fusebox II kiln, bought over a decade ago from Frantz. Yes, it has the dreaded Partlow digital controller. It lasted this long, but now it's giving me grief.

Last week when I tried to hold some boro work at 1050, I looked over and it was ramping up past 1400!! Turned it off, checked to make sure that the program was right, and turned it back on. This time I decided to try holding at 950 -- well, it reached about 940 and then shut off. Hmmm...try 1050 again....soared up past 1400 again.

Did some research that suggested that I probably needed to replace the power relay switch. Bought the new relay switch and merrily installed it today. Looking forward to a long session at the torch.

DISAPPOINTED!!! Same thing happening. So, obviously it's not the relay. I've heard bad things about the Partlow controller and apparently I should be happy it lasted this long.

Now the big question.....do I purchase a stand alone controller and hook my kiln up to that? Does anyone know how that works? Or can I have the controller replaced? Ideas?? In doing some research, I've found controllers by both Fuji and Bartlett. How difficult would it be for me to replace the controller myself (having very limited skills)? No, buying a new kiln isn't the solution I'm looking for -- this kiln is everything that I've needed and works so well otherwise.

Thanks,
Suz

Last edited by suzee; 2014-10-04 at 4:14pm.
Old 2014-10-05, 9:07am

Suz, You might try David at All Fired Up, located in Charlotte, North Carolina. Website in the past was kilndr.com phone# listed with Paragon on some old papers I found, but maybe still current is 704-609-4605 I know he is quit knowledgeable on all brands.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2014-10-11, 10:18am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

We replace that controller allot with the fuji. The board seems to burn out after so many hours on the 1166 they can do all kinds of strange things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.