No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-16, 9:20am
Sheila Davis Designs

Default What is this?

I bought some glass from a friend and this was in one of the boxes. It's a clear stringer with iridescent on the outside. I tried to make a bead with it and it just scummed up...even dots on another bead, like it's burning up the coating.
Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sheila D.; 2014-04-16 at 9:24am.
Old 2014-04-16, 9:28am

It looks like it's got dichro on it. Keep the dichroic side away from the flame. You can, if you're careful, hold it under the flame and encase the dichro side with clear. Be careful to seal the edges if you do.

I'll see if I can find more info... brb

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2014-04-16, 9:29am

This thread should help.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...=sizzle+sticks

Sue
Old 2014-04-16, 9:31am

Dichro comes on rods, such as you have pictured and it also comes as this:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...t=dichro+photo

Found another thread with pictures... and a tutorial to purchase if you are interested. It's not my tutorial and I don't even own one but thought you would like the pictures:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...t=dichro+beads

Sue

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2014-04-16 at 9:34am.
Old 2014-04-16, 10:10am
Sheila Davis Designs

It's not flat but round just like a commercial stringer with an iridescent coating on the outside. I've worked with dichro quite a bit and this is not like that.

Old 2014-04-16, 10:14am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

There are some round dichro stringers out there, Sheila.
Just like regular stringers (similar thickness and length), just with one half coating of dichro.
I had some in the past, but they were black. Still remember, they also sold them in clear.
So that's my best bet.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2014-04-16, 10:30am
Sheila Davis Designs

I think you're right...I held it under the magnifying glass and it is only on one side. I'll have to be careful with them!

Old 2014-04-16, 9:19pm
Glass-aholic

If you encase it it's sorta manageable. And work really cool too.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-04-16, 9:37pm
Loving learning

I have some I bought for fusing, haven't tried them with lampwork.
Old 2014-04-16, 10:23pm
It's all about the color.

I got some quite a while ago and have never been able to successfully use them (though I can rock regular dichro) and I know to keep it away from the flame. I'm even on a HotHead and that's too much for them. I don't do fusing. They were really expensive when I first got them - I'm thinking like $6 per stringer way back then. I just know if I get rid of them though, I'll absolutely need them for some project the next day.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2014-04-17, 7:05am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
I got some quite a while ago and have never been able to successfully use them (though I can rock regular dichro) and I know to keep it away from the flame. I'm even on a HotHead and that's too much for them. I don't do fusing. They were really expensive when I first got them - I'm thinking like $6 per stringer way back then. I just know if I get rid of them though, I'll absolutely need them for some project the next day.
This! I have the same stuff, came in either black or clear, round stringer about the same diameter as any other commercial stringer. Definitely needs to be worked really carefully, but I love it. Of course, that's working cool on a hothead, on the big kid torch I'd burn it to cinders.

L-111