No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-01-05, 10:11am
Queen Bee

Default *Urgent Make Up Air Help

My contractor is in the process of putting my make up air vent on my bench. I am using a Barley box. My question is it still correct to put the make up air vent behind the torch to keep the room warmer? Or does it have to be outside the Barley box? Not sure and need an answer asap. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-01-05, 12:24pm

shouldn't make up air be as clean as possible? - therefore outside the bb?
Old 2013-01-05, 12:49pm

You want make-up air to be pulled past the torch and out through the hood, so I would say outside. Otherwise you might only be venting the make-up air from up inside your hood, not the low-oxygen air directly surrounding your torch.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-01-05, 6:43pm
Salt Box Beads

You can have the makeup air inside the Barley box. I do. It is at the very back of the bench and comes in under the work bench through a wire grid and flows into the torch area. That way cold or hot air depending on the season is kept right at the torch.

You also should have some percentage of makeup air coming in behind you over your shoulders.
Old 2013-01-05, 7:18pm
da General

Donna, the makeup air needs to come in along the path so you can breath the fresh air AND replace/push the fume your torch/glass creates towards your fan. In other words, if the sequence in the path is where you breath, the fume, the make up air, then the ventilation fan, you are not going to be breathing fresh air. Best place to put the make up air at your bench is at the front of the bench - right at the front edge of your barley box - creating the sequence - makeup air, where you breath, the fume, the ventilation fan. Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-01-06, 12:20am
Salt Box Beads

Here is a quote from Bill at ART Glass answers. Also the link to the thread is added for you.

Good Luck and have fun building your bench.

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...e+up+air#p2402

"I'd put the slot right at the rear of the of your enclosure. Not having any pictures or drawings from you to go on, that would be the "generic" location. You don't want the slot directly under the flame, because it would mess with the flame, blowing it all over the place. With the slot at the rear wall of your enclosure, *most* of the air will flow past the end of the flame. Again, you might have to experiment a little, particularly if it messes with your flame too much.

Billadmin
Site Admin"
Old 2013-01-06, 12:26am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
. Best place to put the make up air at your bench is at the front of the bench - right at the front edge of your barley box - .

Not sure this is the best advice??

I have seen most of the under bench make up air vents at the back of the bench or a little more forward under the torch flame but I have never seen one in the front.

Having all of that really hot in the summer air or really cold in the winter air coming right up into my face at such high CFMs would really bother me and freeze my face in winter or roast it in the summer.

The main point is to keep the cold air in winter away from you and the hot air in summer away from you.
Old 2013-01-06, 7:12am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
You can have the makeup air inside the Barley box. I do. It is at the very back of the bench and comes in under the work bench through a wire grid and flows into the torch area. That way cold or hot air depending on the season is kept right at the torch.

You also should have some percentage of makeup air coming in behind you over your shoulders.
Actually this is correct way....

Air flow will take path of least resistance, this means you will get fresh air flow through your breathing space no matter where you put fresh air inlet as long as there is some make up air flowing through through studio.... By putting it in front of torch this keeps space between you and torch open and does not put a draft of cold air directly in your face....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-01-06 at 7:15am.
Old 2013-01-06, 9:58am

Default makeup air

Dale,
I plan to change my work area this spring and I plan to do as you have shown in your picture but with one change. My table is solid stainless steel. I don't think I can cut a hole in it. I was planning to pull the table away from the wall about 1 foot. Then run the makeup vent to the work space in front of the torch but spliced where the hood meets the table. I have the path of flow in red in the picture. Do you think this will be ok? Thanks, Darlene

Old 2013-01-06, 10:09am
Queen Bee

Thank you so much to everyone who responded! I had to make a decision within 10 minutes, so I had the contractor put a vent in the back of the barley box, and one on the side of the bench just in case I also have windows I can open for more fresh air behind me. It is very cold here in CT, so I tried to have as many options as possible. The vents can also be closed off when not in use to keep cold air out. My studio is almost finished, and I couldn't have done it without the great resources here on LE. Heartfelt thanks to you all!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Old 2013-01-06, 10:19am

Donna,
Will you post a picture when you're finished? I would love to see your setup. I plan to change my current workshop in a few months.
Darlene

Old 2013-01-06, 10:35am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I did some experiments using a scale model 'studio' some years back where I varied the position of the makeup air feed. feeding the MU air from under the bench at the back wall was very effective and worked just as Dale's drawing shows. All data was imperical and not terribly scientific but illuminating just the same.

PJ
Old 2013-01-06, 4:02pm
Salt Box Beads

The drawing Dale posted is what I used for my studio. It works great.

Art Glass Answers is a terrific place to join and utilize especially when going through the pangs of setting up a studio.
Old 2013-01-06, 4:05pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
Thank you so much to everyone who responded! I had to make a decision within 10 minutes, so I had the contractor put a vent in the back of the barley box, and one on the side of the bench just in case I also have windows I can open for more fresh air behind me. It is very cold here in CT, so I tried to have as many options as possible. The vents can also be closed off when not in use to keep cold air out. My studio is almost finished, and I couldn't have done it without the great resources here on LE. Heartfelt thanks to you all!

So glad you chose the back of your bench area for replacement air as you will be very happy with it.
Have a terrific time with your new studio!

If you can share pictures that will be great and it would help others to set up their studios.
Old 2013-01-07, 9:22am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene Balkcum View Post
Dale,
I plan to change my work area this spring and I plan to do as you have shown in your picture but with one change. My table is solid stainless steel. I don't think I can cut a hole in it. I was planning to pull the table away from the wall about 1 foot. Then run the makeup vent to the work space in front of the torch but spliced where the hood meets the table. I have the path of flow in red in the picture. Do you think this will be ok? Thanks, Darlene

Probably will work just fine if it has positive air flow though torch flame area...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-01-08, 2:32pm
Queen Bee

I'll post pictures soon - I thought my studio would never be finished as it's been over a year now, lol. Took me forever to figure out the ventilation, what to buy, etc, and we were also at the mercy of the carpenter showing up, etc. Thank God for all the info on LE. Hubby is great at a lot of things, but building stuff is not one of them. But he did paint the studio for me, and put shelves together, etc. And of course he paid for it

Donna

Old 2013-01-09, 5:39pm
Flamewoman

I also used Dale's concept of propper ventilation for my make up air.
I am very happy with it and it works great. I have a sash door behind me that I can open the window on a little, but my airconditioner acts as a vent too, not airtight at all, even when it is turned off and covered for winter it still leaks a lot of air, but that's ok, it gets hot in there even in really cold weather.
Here is a link to my studio, I am still very happy with it.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=78975

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-01-09, 7:53pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

My makeup air is all coming from behind me, and trust me, when it's single digits outside that gets old real quick.

L-111

Old 2013-01-09, 10:31pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Actually this is correct way....

Air flow will take path of least resistance, this means you will get fresh air flow through your breathing space no matter where you put fresh air inlet as long as there is some make up air flowing through through studio.... By putting it in front of torch this keeps space between you and torch open and does not put a draft of cold air directly in your face....

Dale
Thank you for posting that, Dale. My concern was to ONLY have fresh intake air at the back of the barley box. There MUST be additional intake air - even "small portion" - behind the person in addition to the make up air as your diagram so clearly illustrates. I know of an artist who had to go to an emergency room because the intake air was sucked out by the ventilation system before it got it him.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2013-01-09 at 10:33pm.
Old 2013-01-15, 6:43am

Donna,
How are you doing on the Make Up air? Can you post a picture soon?
I posted picture below of my set up. No Barley box but something similar,think fume box.
I wanted to keep my a/c inside the studio as much as possible and still breathe clean air.
MarieAnn

Make up air vent from behind me on inside of studio

Make up air on outside of studio

Make up air from bench area at fume box.

Last edited by beadgirl; 2013-01-15 at 6:58am. Reason: add pictures