No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-12-20, 8:32am
You talkin to me?

Default Frosted Mirror prop

Hi everyone,

I am on the hunt for another one of those frosted mirrors that are used as props for displaying our beads. I bought one several years ago from someone in the UK (they were not available in the US) but over the years has gotten all scratched.

I tried making my own with the spray frost and a mirror, but it is too frosted, even with one coat. In my pictures of beads a few years back, you could see the reflection of the bead, but it was subtle and not as reflective as a mirror. I have uploaded a picture of my beads taken on this same prop.

Anyone remember the seller or even know if I can get something like it here?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I work on a Minor burner, with an oxy-con and household natural gas
Old 2017-12-20, 9:39am

I'd try a coat or two of a matte clear coat spray on a mirror. Should get you close to the desired finish with little fussing about or searching. The frosting spray tends to make it just whiter rather than just fuzzier.

That's a great effect though! Looks really fantastic with such high contrast designs in your photo above.
Old 2017-12-20, 10:19am
You talkin to me?

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm off to try that! I'll let you know the results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2017-12-20, 11:26am

Another thing to try is finding a piece of non glare glass and putting that on a black surface, or even resting it on a mirror to see what kinds of effects you can get. Non glare glass is pretty cheap, especially at the sizes you're talking. In fact, if you want a chunk I can mail you off some.
Old 2017-12-20, 11:38am
You talkin to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrix View Post
Another thing to try is finding a piece of non glare glass and putting that on a black surface, or even resting it on a mirror to see what kinds of effects you can get. Non glare glass is pretty cheap, especially at the sizes you're talking. In fact, if you want a chunk I can mail you off some.

Thank you! I would most definitely be interested in a piece of your non-glare glass if you don't mind. I really appreciate the offer, that is so sweet of you. My paypal is mwillette@wi.rr.com if you want to shoot me an invoice.

Old 2017-12-20, 11:44am
You talkin to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhydon View Post
I'd try a coat or two of a matte clear coat spray on a mirror. Should get you close to the desired finish with little fussing about or searching. The frosting spray tends to make it just whiter rather than just fuzzier.

That's a great effect though! Looks really fantastic with such high contrast designs in your photo above.
Ryan, your suggestion is a great one! Here is the result of one spray across a mirror. It looks great, however, do you know of any way to avoid the grainy texture seen on the surface? Yes, I know I am being anal, but I would prefer a smooth coat. Was that from temperature maybe? I sprayed it in my garage and it's about 40 degrees in there.

Old 2017-12-20, 11:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by melzip View Post
Ryan, your suggestion is a great one! Here is the result of one spray across a mirror. It looks great, however, do you know of any way to avoid the grainy texture seen on the surface? Yes, I know I am being anal, but I would prefer a smooth coat. Was that from temperature maybe? I sprayed it in my garage and it's about 40 degrees in there.

I'd bet it was the temp. That spray can get picky. Also shake the tar out of it for a few minutes!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Old 2017-12-20, 12:01pm
You talkin to me?

And I was mistaken, it's 27 degrees out, not 40's. Maybe I will resort to the basement.

Old 2017-12-20, 2:48pm

I rather like the grainy-ness. Looks velvety.
Old 2017-12-20, 3:14pm
Slogan Challenged...

I like the grainy-ness too. Kind of an organic look that balances with the glass, looks nice! I want one

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-12-20, 3:28pm

I like that texture too .. it's a nice contrast with the smooth shine of the glass.
Old 2017-12-20, 3:47pm
You talkin to me?

Well thanks to Ryan, I was able to custom-make my own! I am so appreciative. And thanks, you guys made me feel better about having the texture on there! Always helps to have others' opinions.

THANKS!
Melissa

Old 2017-12-22, 9:47pm

Hi! So how geeky am I.... i'm a paint chemist that has lots of aerosol experience!! The texture may also be attributed to a dry spray. Give it enough so the paint looks smooth and glossy. It will dry matte. Good luck!

Mary
Old 2017-12-24, 10:11am

Another totally different possibility is to use a highly polished silver colored platter or a chromed surface.

They will produce nice reflections too.
Old 2018-01-01, 8:10am
You talkin to me?

Thank you, Mary! That's a great suggestion, and one I plan on trying!

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass addict View Post
Hi! So how geeky am I.... i'm a paint chemist that has lots of aerosol experience!! The texture may also be attributed to a dry spray. Give it enough so the paint looks smooth and glossy. It will dry matte. Good luck!

Mary

Old 2018-01-01, 8:12am
You talkin to me?

Great suggestion! Thank you. I also wondered about buying a spray-on mirror coating and trying that. I figured because it was a spray, maybe it wouldn't produce as much a reflection as an actual mirror.

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5betsy View Post
Another totally different possibility is to use a highly polished silver colored platter or a chromed surface.

They will produce nice reflections too.

Old 2018-01-01, 11:38am

I wonder if a top coat of something like modpodge or hair spray would have a similar effect.