Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-24, 3:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Nice! Which one did you go with?
Old 2010-02-24, 6:13pm
And silence is golden

I haven't started my experimenting yet. The above bead was made by an acquaintance of mine on the other side of this continent. The glass is actually a stringer made of sheet glass. I have requested that the company manufacture this glass in rod form. They have agreed to do so as soon as they can perfect the formula. I am getting very anxious. As soon as it is in production, I will release the info on it.
Old 2010-02-25, 8:58am
as in the state

And an awesome color! I'd be very excited to know the details when they become available.

-Amy
Old 2010-02-25, 5:57pm

Quote:
I haven't started my experimenting yet. The above bead was made by an acquaintance of mine on the other side of this continent. The glass is actually a stringer made of sheet glass. I have requested that the company manufacture this glass in rod form. They have agreed to do so as soon as they can perfect the formula. I am getting very anxious. As soon as it is in production, I will release the info on it.
Sheet glass isn't that difficult to work with if you cut it into strips, if your project is urgent.
Old 2010-02-25, 6:47pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
Sheet glass isn't that difficult to work with if you cut it into strips, if your project is urgent.
I found out that this glass is not made in sheet form either. Only comes in 1 and 2 mm stringers.

I'm hoping that if I can get enough people interested in this color, I can convince the manufacturer to place my request on the "front burner". As it stands, it could be a while before the wheels start rolling. So anyone reading this, who is interested in the color and other translucent colors, please take a moment to express your desire here.
Old 2010-02-26, 7:44am

Me, me, me!

Love green at the moment, love anything translucent!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-26, 10:32am
as in the state

I second Sadie...
Me! Me! ME!!

-Amy
Old 2010-02-26, 12:06pm
Rose colored glasses…√

2mm stringers aren't that small...

I'm game for translucent colors, particularly green.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-02-26, 1:48pm
And silence is golden

Chriss! I didn't recognize you. You got your hair done! I'll miss that monkey!
Old 2010-02-26, 1:51pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Chriss! I didn't recognize you. You got your hair done! I'll miss that monkey!
I caught my hair ON FIRE.

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-02-26, 2:20pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
That is dreadful Chriss! I was referring to the monkey that was your avatar for so long. Or do I have you confused with someone else?

I think 2mm rods are pretty doggon skinny. My preferance would be 5-6mm size. 2mm is nice for a thick stringer, but not for making larger beads.
Old 2010-02-26, 2:56pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Nah...that was me...a flying monkey. I changed my avatar because I actually took a picture of myself with my phone after the loss of my hair. It wasn't dreadful, just unfortunate.

If you want a 5-6mm rod, you could melt the bulk of a 2mm rod and pull it into a 5-6mm rod.

Old 2010-03-07, 6:25am

The translucent greens that I use are from http://www.ggglass.com, veiled olive (more yellow) and pistachio (what I think of as olive green so I always get them confused) I like to overlay with some vintage Val Cox frit sized 0, almost powder, called Tuscany Olive. I've looked on Val's sister-frit-site and can't locate it. Val, if you read this will you every carry the Tuscany Olive again or could you share with us the glass type and name/number? I'll add a couple photos. One is a set of beads made with the veiled olive and frit, the other pic is a photo is a mix but in the lower left corner you can see the olive vs pistachio (olive is more yellow - larger swirl beads are bare-naked-olive). Thanks for asking Aleta! Beth
Attached Images

Old 2010-03-09, 4:51pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboo View Post
Tuscany Olive. I've looked on Val's sister-frit-site and can't locate it. Val, if you read this will you every carry the Tuscany Olive again or could you share with us the glass type and name/number? I'll add a couple photos. Beth
I emailed Sarina and she said that she will be ordering the Tuscany Frit soon!
Old 2010-03-09, 4:59pm

Hurrah! thanks Aleta. - Just in case you're curious the glass in the mixed color pic is all veiled glass from http://www.ggglass.com, it's so fun to work with and makes the simplest (sp?) bead beautiful.

Last edited by beeboo; 2010-03-09 at 5:18pm.
Old 2010-03-09, 5:31pm
Biscuit Lover

Quote:
Well, well. Then you, like me, are an excellent candidate for a Kevlar hat. I once caught a freshly made flying shard with the top of my head. A thatch of my hair melted onto the shard, like a nice long fringe.

How did you catch fire?
Old 2010-03-09, 6:43pm
And silence is golden

Here is a song for you fire ladies! Dedicated to all those who have been burned at one time or another.

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Runaway...+1-PBegE14O-VE
Old 2010-03-14, 4:15pm
And silence is golden

Heads up folks! Sabrina of http://valcoxfrit.com/ has the Tuscany Olive back in stock now.
Old 2010-03-14, 4:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

me too!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-15, 9:51am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen milligan View Post
How did you catch fire?
I turned my head to see what my dog was talking to me about and my hair went swinging into the flame (one of the only times it wasn't in a ponytail).

Old 2010-03-15, 11:03am
I speak Murrini!

Another vote for Poison Apple...it's one of my new favoritiest colors!!!!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-03-15, 8:55pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
I turned my head to see what my dog was talking to me about and my hair went swinging into the flame (one of the only times it wasn't in a ponytail).
Are you sure your dog wasn't trying to tell you that you were already on fire?
Old 2010-04-16, 6:51pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
Peacock is kind've like what you've posted, depending on which batch. Just make sure you anneal it really hot (like 980/990).
I somehow overlooked this. What does the increased annealing temp do for Peacock?
Old 2010-04-18, 11:21am
Live and Let Live

Quote:
I somehow overlooked this. What does the increased annealing temp do for Peacock?
Keeps it from cracking. It's one of the 'oddball' CIM colors that doesn't fall into the 'normal' 104 annealing range. They have a few colors like that in their line. I avoid them.

Old 2010-04-18, 11:56am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
Keeps it from cracking. It's one of the 'oddball' CIM colors that doesn't fall into the 'normal' 104 annealing range. They have a few colors like that in their line. I avoid them.
Is there a list somewhere that documents which of the CiM colors fall under that category?
Old 2010-04-18, 4:40pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Aleta... I'd be interested in the translucent green glass you are inquiring about!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-04-18, 7:51pm
And silence is golden

Sandy, I had to dust off my kiln and fire that old thing up. I've got about 30 green beads annealing in it right now. Hopefully it will be fine. I used to have it programmed so precise that you could throw a handful of beads on the concrete and not one of them would break. Of course those were smaller beads than what I make these days. The last time I annealed some beads, I had a few cracked ones. I'm just hoping that it had something to do with bad timing when putting the bead in the kiln to garage it.

I have several beads that are a perfect translucent without having to mix glasses. To get the same exact color as the first photo, I'm afraid that mixing will be required. I'll post the test beads tomorrow.
Old 2010-04-19, 11:34am
And silence is golden

As promised, here is the first photo of the glasses that I found to be the closest in translucent qualities. In the photo, the first 3 don't fall under translucent, but I just wanted to photograph for comparison of light green glasses. So from left to right: CiM-Elphaba 104coe, Lauscha-Frog 104coe, Bullseye-Mint 90coe, Val's-Veiled Gaffer 96coe, Gaffer-Lemon/Lime 96coe, Gaffer-Apple Green 96coe, Gaffer-Veiled Odd 96coe, Gaffer-FlouroGreen 96coe, and Bullseye-Green Gold 90coe stringer. I can see that I may have to do a retake on the photo.

So far, the glass that comes the closest to the oroginal photo is the Lemon/Lime! Gail of GGGlass carries most of these colors. All 5 on the right side are simply delicious colors! I like them all though.

This next series of spacers were also done for light green comparison. From left to right: Bullseye-Spring Hosta 90coe, Effetre-Kiwi 104coe, Vetrofond-Parrot Green 104coe, Vetrofond-Key Lime 104coe, Bullseye-Tree Frog 90coe, Bullseye-Spring Green 90coe, and finally Effetre-Pea Green 104coe.

Last edited by Shrimp; 2010-04-19 at 4:52pm.
Old 2010-04-19, 11:47am
passionate about pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Another vote for Poison Apple...it's one of my new favoritiest colors!!!!
me too! i second this

In my picture the spacer bead is poison apple and same with the light green color in the wine stop. (mind my still bad photography...i am working on it)

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Last edited by StOrM; 2010-04-19 at 11:52am.
Old 2010-04-19, 12:02pm
Lampworkaholic!

Looks like you hit your color with Gaffer FlouroGreen 96coe.

I'm pretty sure I have some BE Green-Gold rods.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox