No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-05-11, 10:10am
Flameworker

Default How to make a Human Body?

Hey,

Is there any tutorial on this? I have one for the legs but i not sure how to complete the rest of the body. Thanks!

Nic
Old 2010-05-11, 10:39am
Shelarious

Hmmm...I don't think I've ever seen a tutorial for that.
I would suggest googling for some videos, maybe there is something on youtube.

Here's a Lucio Bubacco video, you might glean some info from it: http://www.the-net.cc/news&assignm/L...completev.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-11, 10:41am
I speak Murrini!

I think Lavender Creek has a good tutorial on doing a Goddess Bead. Lemme go see...maybe that would help!

BRB!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-05-11, 10:44am
I speak Murrini!

There's this one from Teresa/Lavender Creek:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/13606536...into-sculpting

And this one from Kevan:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/21684523...page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

Both do beautiful work!

I'm pretty sure I saw a "free" one some where. Let me troll a bit more and if I find it, I'll post a link!

De

Old 2010-05-11, 11:23am
Flameworker

Thanks Shelley and De! I'll take a look into those. And De, if you find that free one, it would be awesome! I wanna make a Human sculpture out of boro so if that narrows it down at all. Thanks again

Nic
Old 2010-05-11, 11:31am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

By the title of this thread, I thought we were going to have to explain the birds and the bees.

Seriously. I know Loren Stump was teaching something like this. Not sure if there is anything published or any videos online about that.

Old 2010-05-11, 12:48pm
I speak Murrini!

OK - found it! And it's RIGHT HERE, on LE!

Lot's of great posts to give you some more ideas in there too...so read the whole thread, OK? And let us know how you do! If you decide to post photos, though, be sure to add a "WARNING - Nudity" in the title so you don't give us geezers any heart attacks, ok?

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444

Now go make us proud!

De

Old 2010-05-11, 2:19pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

something I found VERY helpful when I started working on human forms was to get a few body building magazines, and an anatomy book that shows the muscles under the skin. it will give you an ide about how to lay the glass on to make the body look real. I know the body builder books can be a bit um distorted concerning the human form, but really show muscles well, even if exagerated

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-05-11, 2:53pm
Flameworker

Thanks De!

However i have few questions. Since I only have boro, i work without a mandrel. Would i just get a gather on a rod and shape accordingly? Would it be best to keep making a buch of gathers, then put them together and melt in/shape untill it resembles that of step 2 of the tutorial, then work from there. Any ideas? Thanks again De.

And Candice, i might actually have some around the house, thats a great idea to visualize the muscles and such. Thanks!

Nic
Old 2010-05-11, 4:59pm
Addicted to Glass.

To me... the best I have ever found and am STILL trying to get into classes of his when he comes to B&B is Milon Townsend.

http://www.milontownsend.com/

Advanced Flameworking Volume I - It is out of print, but can still be found. If you want to know how to make a human body in Boro... That's how to do it.

Last edited by MACE Glass; 2010-05-11 at 5:04pm.
Old 2010-05-11, 5:30pm
I speak Murrini!

Nic...

I don't work boro, so not sure I can answer your question If it were me, though, even working in soft glass and wanting to do an off-mandrel sculpture, I start just as you describe with making a gather at the end of a rod (make it a good sized one, too!) and shape conical as you see in Step 2 of Sarah's great tut. Then start adding and building from there.

Keep us posted...

De

Old 2010-05-11, 5:31pm
passionate about pets

The best way to learn anatomy of a human body is to go find some books on the human anatomy. This was the way i learn how to do sculptural work with clay. if you know how the muscles look under the skin then you will be able to do them in any medium.

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2010-05-11, 6:10pm

Click on the coins as when they show up... Great pictures of human figures in glass.....

http://www.luciobubacco.com/public/gallery.html

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-05-12, 6:32am
pinarhakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshelle View Post

Here's a Lucio Bubacco video, you might glean some info from it: http://www.the-net.cc/news&assignm/L...completev.html
Thanks alot for this video

Old 2010-05-12, 8:17am
Curmudgeon Engineering

My first thought was "Frankenstien anyone"
Old 2010-05-12, 9:50am
Shelarious

I've done it a little, and here are the big things I learned:

The best tools are heat control and gravity. Getting the extra glass for the calves and arm muscles just requires practice and knowing where the glass is flowing.

Also, impressionism is important -you don't have to be 100% anatomically correct. Pareidolia, right?--The human eye looks for the familiar sights and will help your viewer fill in the gap. That's why you see Mary in a peanut butter sandwhich or a crack under a bridge.

That Bubacco video is great. I got to take a class with him, he's amazing.

Old 2010-05-12, 1:45pm
Flameworker

Thanks everybody! The videos helped a lot in getting the idea down. And MACE, Mr. Townsend has incredible talent. I'm looking for that book, its seems it will have the most thorough intructions. Until then it will be trial and error for me. I will give it a go tonight and hopefully have some view worthy attempts. Perhaps I will just take it one body part at a time haha. Thanks again everbody.

Nic
Old 2010-05-13, 9:45am
Flameworker

well, last night did not go over well, frustration got the best of me. Anyone else get any in?
Old 2010-05-14, 3:20am
boro color bender

I've been working on the human form here and there for years... if you're frustrated on the first few tries, do something easier... if i put arms on them, they still look like freaks. It aint easy getting the proportions right and takes a lot of torch time to do it well...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-05-14, 6:19am
FireCat Glass

Does anyone know if Bubacco works in soft glass or boro?
Thanks- Cindi
Oh and De, love the Sponge Bob!

Yoga- The yoking of body, breath, spirit, and glass.

Old 2010-05-14, 7:22am

soft glass.....ok, I am coming back to add...
Soft, and he makes his part, and moves on to the next, never heating the previous part again. It is amazing to watch!
You just watch this beautiful person come out from the end of an ivory rod. From the feet up!

- A work in progress

Last edited by tela; 2010-05-14 at 9:09am.
Old 2010-05-14, 8:42am
Ellyloo-YAH!

my boro body i made once has drumsticks for arms and legs...heheh...

Old 2010-05-14, 10:47am
sunscreen me baby

arms..... I so want to make Mermen and I need arms. Someday

~

Old 2010-05-14, 11:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tela View Post
soft glass.....ok, I am coming back to add...
Soft, and he makes his part, and moves on to the next, never heating the previous part again. It is amazing to watch!
You just watch this beautiful person come out from the end of an ivory rod. From the feet up!
Not from the feet up. He starts with the behind and works down. Then punties to the feet and starts on the waist up... This does not explain how he does it but it gives you a game plan.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-05-14, 12:25pm

well I know Heather, I was thinking of mentioning butt first, but I wanted to get the idea of how he just creates them like magic! And to mention the fact that he doesn't reheat them as he works.
But, You of course are correct, butt first....
jo

- A work in progress

Old 2010-05-17, 8:34am
Ellyloo-YAH!

I think it's because the larger torso mass helps keep the smaller parts warm.

Old 2010-05-17, 10:13am

Smile

Hi Nic, I believe Chemka college put some instructional DVD's out a few years ago of Lucio's figures. I've not seen them, but I do believe they are supposed to be 'instructional'.

The Litvak DVD is lovely as showing the 'inspiration' behind Lucio Bubacco, the maestro. I know you can get a copy of the DVD when you get the book that Litvak put out of Lucio's exhibit. It's nice to see the video is out there for the looking.

Doing figures in soft glass vs boro will have tweeking, but no matter, if you take a workshop in soft glass, you will learn to translate many of those tips to boro.

There are three people, besides Townsend, that come prominent to the top of my mind when it comes to figure work... Lucio (in soft glass), Loren Stump (yes, he teaches figures a-la Venitian style with his own modifications in soft glass) and Emilio Santini. Emilio teaches in both soft and boro at his newly opened studio in Williamsburg, VA. Not sure if Steve Sizelove is teaching the figures, but his are very nice.

The problem we have, is we 'expect' things to come to us with a day's practice or just a few days....desire for instant gratification can be a hindrance. The reality is these guys I mention above, have been developing their skills for years! You have to have the patience to allow you time to hone the skill and learn. Take parts at a time. One year, we had a student in Lucio's workshop who was very wise. She was not pusing herself to do the full figure. Not pushing to get in line to do a special task. Instead, she set herself to ONLY focus on the hands and the simple closed leg figure. By the end of the workshop, she'd put out a heaping pile of arms and hands at her workspace, but I tell you, the silouete figure she made at the end had the most dreamiest delicate fingers one could ever image. But she held her nose to the grindstone, and just worked and worked at this one task!

Patience and practice and don't give up or expect any immediate gratification. Patience is a virtue, but I assure you the best of the best know how to use it and in turn, it pays them back.

Last edited by Ofilia; 2010-05-17 at 11:46am.
Old 2010-05-17, 12:46pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Here are a few videos of him making the woman

http://www.luciobubacco.com/public/work.asp

Old 2010-05-17, 12:53pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshelle View Post

Honestly, his work is simply amazing and stunning and out of this world...

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-05-17, 2:25pm
Forms in Glass

All the pertanant information on sculpting a simple human form in glass are covered in this thread. Though nobody talks about drawing. Human anatomy books are fine yet how well do you see whats in them? If you can not draw the human form you will certainly be at quite the disadvantage when sculpting one in glass. If you can draw not only will proportions and details be revealed but gesture and personality as well. Think its easy put away the torch and pick up a scetch pad. Copy the anatomy books, doodle, most importantly draw people secretly. Typically You won't have much time to capture the ashcan morphology of these folks. Gesture drawing can be a challenge... time it, give yourself no more than a minute per figure. What about clothing? When your scetchpad is full see what happens when you sit down behind your torch.

My Etsy