Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-03, 11:40am
Certified Glassaholic!

Default Has anyone use Amy's (Zooziis) Bubble press?

I was wandering around the internet and happened on this press. Was wondering if anyone has used it yet and what you think of it? Looks very interesting

http://www.zooziis.com/bubbles.aspx

-Yee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-03-03, 12:30pm

I bought this a few months back and have only used it a couple of times. I am fairly new to lampworking so I'm sure I have a long way to go. I did use a lot of glass with this press, but the bead came out kind of cool, to me anyways!.
Old 2012-03-03, 12:46pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Yes I did twice so far. One I showed here and it was deemed ugly by myself and others yet it sold lol

My second attempt was nicer but never sold. Funny you should ask as I a
Was thinking about this press this morning. I need to figure something for it. Too scared to get on the torch this morning as I burned my face yesterday. I should just get back on the horse.

Yes it takes a lot of glass.

Old 2012-03-03, 2:27pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Pics anyone?? Seriously....I'm intrigued!

Old 2012-03-03, 3:08pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay I just made one and it is one strange bead. Still annealing. As far as pics go concerning the others, I have no idea where they are, sorry.

Just go play. The bead I just made is not filling up the whole cavity. No need in my mind. It is full of double layered silver glass bubbles. Very strange but maybe wonderful? It took a long time to make though.

Old 2012-03-03, 4:31pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Is Amy still doing her press game? This is definitely one press I'd like to try before committing

-Yee

Old 2012-03-03, 6:13pm
A True Woofer

I've made a couple. Here's the first one:

I think they look really cool in transparents.

Old 2012-03-04, 5:18pm

Looks so like a cool science project...cells splitting and stuff!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2012-03-05, 12:24pm

I gotta say the one on Zooziis site is ugly to me - what a strange glass to choose. But then I saw the transparent one and went OH that's pretty darn cool!

Thanks Ellen for sharing.
Old 2012-03-05, 3:58pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Ooh, I reckon poked dots could be added to bubbles if it could be done without compromising the shape. As it is I think it's a bit ordinary, but boy it has possibilities as a base bead.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-03-05, 4:48pm
Naysayer

That's really cool! And Ellen I love that bead.
Old 2012-03-05, 4:50pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Here is one wild and crazy bead.

Old 2012-06-28, 4:36pm
Sleep Deprived

Can anyone show the actual press? And what size "glob" of glass do you have to have going into it -- a round? My brain isn't computing this one.

Old 2012-06-28, 5:41pm
dances with ideas...

Amy just announced a slightly smaller version. Details here.
http://www.zooziis.com/bubbles-2.aspx

Old 2012-07-19, 7:38pm

I didn't see this thread earlier, but thank you all who shared info and images. I love that bead Jacqueline. I like how you didn't fill it out, and twisted the glass. Very cool. This is a review by Kerry Bogert (unsolicited) of the original, which I'm calling the "XL". It's about 1.5" in diameter, and takes a lot of glass. I have since come out with the smaller one that Roberta mentioned, which is the "Large" and is 1". It takes a very reasonable amount of glass, about what you'd use for a 1" Lentil. An experience Hot Head user should be able to tackle this one, but I can't recommend the XL unless you have a propane torch...but some hot head users are amazing, so I will never say it can't be done!

I am making bubbles for my trade beads for the gathering (because I'm having so much fun with the press), in the 1" large size, and have made about 40 so far. I am super happy with how user friendly it is...I have made about 40, which I couldn't do if it wasn't user friendly!! You will want a razor tool, or knife, on hand when using it, to deal with the undercuts (parts where the glass goes back in on itself around the outer edge). But it's been a super lot of fun to make beads with. I have done all sorts of things with it, including:

Decorating each sphere differently.

Making each sphere a different color. This takes a bit of time, but is so fun.

One solid colors in the funky, silvered glasses, which look cool, because the spheres look different based on their size, and the creases where the spheres meet are darker, so a cool outline look. It's neat.

Layered frit beads, which again, the different sizes of the spheres magnifies differently adding interest.

Encased. Taking a solid color and encasing with a transparent then pressing. It took well to that.

I don't have pics of all of them, but I do have some pics of the stringer decorated, each sphere a different color, and then a necklace I made for my mom with 3 Large (1") bubbles.

I was asked for a tutorial, and I do plan on doing one. But I'm always happy to answer questions and give tips, if you need them.

I have found I get the nicest ends if I make a tube about as long as the press is wide, and make the two end spheres by light marvering then pressing, first. Once those are set, you can add glass to the middle, then press the whole thing. You will likely get some webbing in those undercuts, but you just spot heat, push them back in, heat the bead and repress. You will want to press these more than once, to get them very crisp and completely filled in, but the press works great for multiple pressing and as long as you give it enough heat, the glass will be fine.

I have also just made a round bead, a little smaller then the cavity, and pressed. That has worked well, but sometimes the two end spheres around the mandrel holes aren't quite filled in. You get webbing this way, too, but it's easy to deal with, with your knife or razor tool. I found that method to work well with encased beads.

Unless you greatly overfill, or your pre-pressed bead is wider than the cavity, you shouldn't have any issues with glass further out on the mandrel than it should be. This is because we designed it to have the furthest points to be the spheres, so it really is easy to deal with any issues of too much glass, because the time that you will most likely have to give up, is when you get glass further along the mandrel than you wanted, and that is not a common issue with this press.

I hope that was helpful. I don't put out a press that I don't think works well, but some presses surprise me with their usability and this one shocked me. I had the idea, and wanted one, so had dad make one up, but was nervous about how it would test. I was pleasantly surprised, and only had to tweak that first prototype slightly, before it was great. The small version was even easier, especially since it takes so much less glass.

I guess the last thing I'll say is that part of it's user friendliness comes from the fact that you can slightly overfill, or underfill and still have it look nice and rounded.
Attached Images

My Daughter and Husband Wrote a book.

The Car Catch-all...the most useful non-lampworking item ever!
Old 2012-07-20, 12:11pm

Looks like something I need to save my pennies for! Beautiful!
Old 2012-07-20, 2:17pm
A True Woofer

Here are a couple more of mine:
XL":

L:

Old 2012-07-20, 6:40pm
dances with ideas...

OMG, now I am totally drooling even though I am severely press challenged.Amy, I think that my favorite is the multicolored one ont he left (veiled cane?). And I adore the top one Ellen posted, with the great reflections. Thanks so much for the eye candy!

Old 2012-07-21, 9:37am

Thank you Rainygrrl. It is made with veiled cane from Val Cox, that I got back in the day when she was having it made. I'm going to miss that glass when it's gone...but I still have a respectable stash Ellen that top Doggie bead is FABULOUS!

I know I'm probably biased, but I seriously LOVE this shape. I love it so much, I'm going to go use it right now <giggle>.

My Daughter and Husband Wrote a book.

The Car Catch-all...the most useful non-lampworking item ever!
Old 2012-07-21, 10:02am
I think I could be a bead

I love this press,a nd, so far, I've only used it for BOC beads using my short short, so there's no control over color placement,, but they are fun to make. The press is very user friendly. Now, I hope to work on it again.