Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2019-03-13, 10:53am

Default Buying first oxycon- is Extreme Oxygen still in business?

I'm setting up my first dual gas torch and have settled on using a 10 lpm oxycon. Specifically, the Ex20 seems reasonably priced and is available from several distributors. There also appears to be the possibility of purchasing direct from Extreme Oxygen at a substantial discount, BUT..

the website is a bit, umm, sketchy. No prices, little description. There's a phone number provided, but when you call, you get forwarded to another number to leave a message.

there's an old thread here (which I cannot post a link to because I havent posted before), but the last post is from 2017 and asks the owner if they are still in business, no reply.

So everything about this seems to scream DON'T! Unless anybody knows otherwise, I don't see buying direct, but now I'm wondering if it's even sensible to buy the unit from a distributor? Are replacement parts, service and customer support still available? If not, are there any other reasonable 10 lpm oxycons, or should I just gang two fives together?

Thank you!!
Old 2019-03-13, 2:39pm

A 5 lpm uses almost as much power as a 10 lpm so I'd recommend 10 unless you find a great deal on 5's. What torch are you planning on? The 10 lpm, 20 psi concentrators will give you many more options. You can email saltcityglass.com for a quote on a new Devilbiss or get a rebuilt Respironics from them.
Edit: the Devilbiss is ten pounds lighter than all other comparable units so I'm not willing to pay the price to find out how good they are.
Old 2019-03-13, 4:14pm

I have a Lynx on the way. Wally from GTT tells me that a 10 LPM OxyCon will run that fine, I hope he’s right.
I really appreciate your advice, thanks!
Old 2019-03-13, 7:01pm

Very nice. You will want a 20 psi concentrator for full blaze, according to the instructions. (15-25 psi) https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/0f433...e0d745bb89.pdf

I think this GTT FAQ flow and pressure table was written earlier, it shows 10-15 psi: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/0f433...6eb9542e62.pdf

Edit: I have the Lynx center in my Mirage but I'm not set up so I don't really know. Mirage instructions say, "Torches can operate on a minimum setting of 5 lbs. of gas pressure and 10 lbs. of oxygen pressure, but you will not have maximum results at these settings." If Wally didn't mention a specific pressure for oxygen on the Lynx, I'd guess 10 psi is good enough. You don't want the candles too close to the face or damage can result.

Last edited by Subduction; 2019-03-13 at 7:09pm.
Old 2019-03-13, 8:07pm

FWIW, Wally thought I should be able to get about 70% of the Lynx’s maximum output with a 10 LPM oxycon. But that would still be more flame than 100% of the Bobcat which was my other choice. If/when I upgrade the torch, it will likely be to a Scorpion with the outer ring supplied by tanked O2. He warned me about the candles too-his advice was to keep them about 3/8” long and never <1/4”.
Old 2019-03-13, 9:12pm

Just to kibbitz, I see the Scorpion can be ordered with a Lynx center fire for $120 extra. Might take a year (or more) to get, though.
Old 2019-03-14, 4:31am

True, and that’s the one on my radar. But I’d better make sure this is something I can do and stick with before jumping so far into the deep end. I’m already plagued by some guilt that I’m getting such good gear with so little skill. Like I maybe should be paying my dues on a hot head or a smaller torch first. I didn’t know about the wait-I was at Mountain Glass last week and they had a Scorpion with Lynx center in stock. I did ask Wally if there was any advantage to eventually owning a Bobcat vs a Lynx along with a Scorpion with a Lynx center, that is does the Bobcat have any capability that the Lynx does not? He said there was not-a Lynx can produce any flame that a Bobcat can, but not vice versatile.
Old 2019-03-14, 10:13am

GTT supply is catching up with demand (or rather, demand has dampened from a couple of years ago) so I don't know what wait times are like for the various models.

I do know what you mean about sinking a bunch of money. I've only made a boro marble in class with a Nortel minor so far but I consider flameworking mentally therapeutic. The GTT Lynx will have good resale value if you don't burn it up.