Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-05-24, 12:10pm
slightly glass obsessed

Default color help: Lime Green

Does anyone know an opaque borosilicate rod that is the color "Lime Green"?

Any tips? Ideas? I am stumped. Need this color asap and will happily order from any company!

Thanks a bunch everyone!
Old 2011-05-24, 12:53pm

TAG Kiwi... or Slyme?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-05-24, 1:19pm
slightly glass obsessed

Thanx Jenny

I tried Kiwi - it definitely stood out as the most lime green on the market! Unfortunately it wasn't what I was looking for.

I am making some figurines (sculpted ladies) and they are going on black and I would prefer the ladies be a bright lime green. I thought Kiwi would work, but I don't prefer the end result; the glass slightly changes as I worked it and so all the ladies butts and boobs looked odd... Slyme is even more to the "poly-chromatic" type of rod... I also tried Momka's Guacamole... all of these colors are wonderful, just not what I am looking for.

I have one random unlabeled rod left of a lime green color that is the winner so far... but I only have one precious rod! And I don't know what it is!

so I thought I'd post here and see what my LE friends would suggest
Old 2011-05-24, 2:57pm

Leah - It might be GA Sour Apple, which is a semi-opaque cad color. We only have a small amount of Occasional Quality available. We will be making more of this seasonal color this summer.

Thomas
Old 2011-05-24, 3:56pm
slightly glass obsessed

Thanks Thomas! I appreciate the heads up. I bet thats what it is. Its great to hear from you too!

Last edited by LeahPellegrini; 2011-05-24 at 4:02pm.
Old 2011-05-24, 4:02pm
Borovangelist

lizard green from elan/borostix?

eta: sheesh, too many names for this stuff.

http://www.mountainglassarts.com/Bor...5-60-per-pound

|
|
Old 2011-05-24, 4:11pm
slightly glass obsessed

I tried the Borostix Lizzard Green as well... Too pastel, not bright enough for my purposes... I agree with you Tom that it would seem that this would be a great option, unfortunately it fell short. I should take some pictures of my tests and post them here
Old 2011-05-24, 4:16pm

I've been wanting more sour apple, how bout some more lemondrop also
Old 2011-05-24, 9:17pm
Pyromaniac

Leah post a pic of your lime green rod, maybe that will help.
Sublime or Slyme over another solid WYSIWYG opaque green might work for you, but Sublime by itself will be too transparent.
You can get some gorgeous lime greens and golden greens with Sublime over Blue Caramel, but it will be a variable color range.

There was also an old Northstar color "Parrot" if you can find some:
http://northstarglass.com/newsletters/9.pdf

This sweet girl offered to send me some of the GA Sour Apple when I was looking for something similar.
If all else fails maybe contact her?
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showpo...20&postcount=8

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2011-05-24 at 9:29pm.
Old 2011-05-24, 11:42pm
slightly glass obsessed

Thanks for the link Lana (I sent Susan a friendly convo via her lovely Etsy shop to see if she still has a stick of GA Green Apple that she could spare).

As far as layering colors, I agree that sublime is what I would think to use, either by itself (for that neon green look if I wanted it transparent) or layered over other colors for some nice accents of lime green. However, for the little sculptures I am making really need a solid lime green. My welds would look funny if I was using an encased color.

When I get into the studio tomorrow I will take pictures of my tests with Kiwi and Lizzard Green and Guacamole. Until then here are a couple other pictures:

this is the piece that I am working on: it is a collaboration with my friend artist and studio-mate Dennis McConnell. I made all the little women that are walking around on the large black fused bowl.

and here is a picture of the rod that I guessing is what Thomas identified as GA Green Apple (it was a mystery rod in my studio)

Old 2011-05-25, 6:30am
Borovangelist

neat!

|
|
Old 2011-05-25, 6:37am

Borostix AA26 - Lime Green cased in chinese green kind of brightens it up. I use it for my cancer awareness hearts.

BTW, awesome colab!

Old 2011-05-25, 6:50am
Pyromaniac

That looks like a Parramore color to me.

Old 2011-05-25, 7:23am
Lampworker

either paramore
or GA mint
Old 2011-05-25, 2:15pm

I just worked with a green that is quite lime greeny its in the kiln I think it might be what you are looking for I don't know the name but I have two full size rods we can trade for if it is what you want. I made a small pendant out of it with dots and things off of it so you could get an idea of how it reacts in the flame. I will post pictures of it and the rod tomorrow.

Old 2011-05-25, 8:44pm

This was glass I bought from another LE member the rods are not named but I think its what you might be looking for. I have one 8" rod and two 22" rods and if you think they are what you want I will trade for some of you finished work. I pulled it into a stringer and used it on the pendant to see how small bits heated and it seems smooth in texture and color. I worked it in a cooler flame to prevent boiling other than that it worked good. the last pic is more it's true color, lime green.
Attached Images

Old 2011-05-25, 10:45pm
slightly glass obsessed

oh my goodness - this is wonderful! I would Love to do a trade! I will message you back with deets.

LE is amazing seriously

big thanks to Susan as well - she is coming thru with some of the GA Green Apple!

You are generous gracious women that I am looking forward to sending some of my work!

btw I wonder what that color is? I look forward to seeing it in person. Thank you so much for the samples and the pictures - awesome sauce!

Last edited by LeahPellegrini; 2011-05-25 at 10:48pm.
Old 2011-05-26, 8:19am

You are welcome I will send them out today. I got the glass from Jamie of Silvercreek. I will ask.

Old 2011-05-26, 8:52am

Anyone tried TAGs Slyme? Got some coming.
Old 2011-05-26, 10:14am
Pyromaniac

O my gosh Leah!
Go grab this . . . it's called neoniferous green, NS experimental.

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...3aef5b14a5938e

Old 2011-05-26, 11:46pm
slightly glass obsessed

Thanks for another great link Lana!

Old 2011-05-27, 5:00am
sunscreen me baby

Hey Leah!! Great to see you here

~

Old 2011-05-27, 6:50am
The Battle of Boro Boro

Hey Deb.. That would be GA REV 33 Sour Green Apple that is producing the lime results.

Old 2011-05-27, 7:04am

Leah I bought the glass from Jamie that I will be sending you, like you can see its sour green apple. Thanks for chiming in Jamie.

Last edited by deb tarry; 2011-05-27 at 7:05am. Reason: forgot the thanks.
Old 2011-05-27, 12:50pm
slightly glass obsessed

excellent! That is exactly what I was hoping for!!

Here is a picture of some test ladies... they aren't great pictures, hard to tell... but I thought I'd share none the less!

the Guac turned out too green, the Kiwi too translucent, the Borostix just not right (and bubbly), and the Sour Apple is what I seem to like the best

In softglass, Bullseye makes a color called "Spring Green". If I wanted to do the ladies in soft glass, I would use this color:

Old 2011-05-27, 2:13pm

Oh ya you are going to like sour apple.

Old 2011-06-14, 4:31pm

Leah, that looks like an older Kiwi. The more recent batches have been more opaque. I can bring you a stick if you want to try that, too.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-06-14, 7:21pm
And silence is golden

I just love those little people! Can't help you with the color though.
Old 2011-06-15, 10:46am
Pyromaniac

This looks really close to that Bullseye color.

Parramore Sage:

http://www.glasscraftinc.com/home/gl...ompany_33.html