Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2008-01-01, 8:03am

Default Tucson Show Group Sales or Rep for You

I have been doing the Tucson shows for hmmm 8 years or so now and am looking to expand. I see that there are still suites available for 2008 at the Whole Bead Show, one of the largest in Tucson.

I am already committed to one show BUT would like to expand. If I had more notice I would take the suite by myself and do two shows. At this late date however I can not possible have enough work to do 2 shows well.

I would like to propose an offer and see if the interest is there. I already have an assistant to help with my other show. I can do the Whole Bead Show as a rep for interested parties.

My thoughts are this. I would use the entire suite as a selling room and set up tables/areas for each artist who is interested. The cost would be determined on the number of people interested. I will be spending the afternoon working on a tentative layout to know how much table space I can set up without it looking cluttered.

I would split the cost of the suite plus the hotel room charges between the interested exibitors. I already have another hotel room booked so would not be staying in the suite. (allowing more sales room) My main motivation for this is to get a space at the Whole Bead Show for future years so, I would only keep a 5% commission on the sales. (If you are there to represent yourself I will not keep any commission.)

I do accept credit cards and would take 2.5% fees for any credit card charges. I do sell wholesale and would insist that all items be priced hight enough to allow for 50% wholesale discounts.

Interested parties would need to provide sales trays for beads, business cards and lighting. If selling jewelry display boards and busts will be necessary. Each persons area will have a sign provided by me and a place for their business cards.

I am very particular about displays. I will set up the entire suite as if it was all my own work.

Please let me know if you are interested so I can quickly work out any details. Post here if you think I am nuts! I am sure if you ask Schermo or Bindy they will both vouch for my honesty and my ability to set up a beautiful display for everyones work. Although I have not asked them.

Are you wondering if this is feasable for you? In order to make a great impression with your work I believe you would need to be able to have a minimum of trays of work with 4 to 6 trays of back stock. Or in dollar ammount, at least $5,000 of inventory to send.

I will try and find some type of picture of my display set up to give you an idea of how things will look.
Old 2008-01-01, 8:11am
Dangerous Woman

This sounds like a good idea to me. I just don't have the inventory to participate. Good luck!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-01-01, 8:22am

Just as a note if I get 10 artists total the cost comes out to be about $325 each. Thats a bargain for one of the busiest and best Tucson shows.
Old 2008-01-01, 8:30am
Sorry for party rockin'

When is this show??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-01-01, 8:36am

The show runs Feb 4th through the 9th at the Winmill Inn. All participating artists would need to send their beads and display items to the hotel directly to be received by Feb 1st. I will be sending back any unsold beads and display items as well as the check for sales on Feb 10th or 11th.

That allows for nearly a month to get beads made and ready.
Old 2008-01-01, 8:48am

Here are some of my display photos. All tables will have the black and pale gold table coverings.
Attached Images

Old 2008-01-01, 9:32am
High Maintenance

I've seen Cindy's setup at the Madison show and she does have a very nice layout and sense of what looks good.

Unfortunatly, I do not have time to make enough work for this time around but Cindy if you ever do it again I would love to take part then.
Old 2008-01-01, 9:38am

I'll remember this for next year, if you do it again!

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2008-01-01, 9:56am
Boro Brat

Damn, if only there had been more notice. There is no way I could get enough inventory made for this year, considering the time it takes to get my pieces together, but what a great idea this is! If you do it next year, I'd definitely be interested. I'm surprised there are still suites left at this show! If I can get a plane ticket, I'll be out there this year and I'll be looking for you!

Old 2008-01-01, 10:57am
Martyrs don't bitch.

I'm confused. When you say a suite, do you mean like a hotel suite? Like people would have to come to your room to see stuff and you wouldn't be on the main floor? I've never been to the Tuscon shows, so maybe they work differently then I picture it.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-01-01, 11:44am
Professional Troublemaker

Teague,

That particular show is done at a hotel, and (from memory) although there is one large room with about 40? vendors in it, there are probably at least as many vendors in room suites on the first floor where you go to see their sales.There is a show program outlining where everyone is. Usually, the "living" area of a suite is set up with tables, and the bedroom is where the vendor stays while there. In this case, it sounds like Cindy will have both rooms available for display & sales.

This sounds like an awesome opportunity, and Cindy is the person to do it. I will indeed vouch for her - she is honest and one of the handful of lampworkers I know who do actually make a living selling their beads & jewelry. She is VERY professional in her approach to business, and her background in retail sales and fine arts makes her an extremely successful Artist / Business woman.

If you have the inventory, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this as a unique opportunity to get your work seen in Tucson. Even if your sales pay just for the fees for being in the show, it will be a fabulous way to get your name and your work seen by many, many of the bead / jewelry obsessed who flock to Tucson every year. It's incredibly cheap advertising, with the bonus that the beads will be seen IN PERSON, not just in a flat, 2D ad in a magazine.

Cindy, I have one question about this - I think it's a fabulous idea, and something there's been a niche for, crying to be filled, and I do think you have exactly the skills to do it. My one question has to do with whether or not you will review the work of the artists before taking them on for this show, and be willing to turn down anyone who is simply not ready to be showing and offering their beads in a venue such as this?

I think one of the biggest problems created by the massive influx of beadmakers in recent years is that many artists who are NOT ready to do a major show have come to show their wares in Tucson (and other national venues) and had a very bad experience, both financially & emotionally / artistically. In turn, it brings down the overall quality of what buyers can expect to see at a show like this, which is usually fairly experienced lampworkers offering unique, well finished, sophisticated wares.

The offer to have your work represented at this type of venue for (potentially) such an inexpensive cost, puts it in the range for some beadmakers who would otherwise not be able to do this type of show until after they'd been making beads for a couple years, and had a few local / regional shows under their belts. I am concerned for what type of experience this would be for them, as well as how it would affect the overall impression made by the other artists who you represent. If there are a few or many beadmakers in your suite who have not yet "found their voice" and are offering pretty beads but which aren't really the quality you'd expect to find at a Tucson venue such as the Whole Bead Show, will it affect the overall presentation of the level of work your other artists represent?

That said, it's going to be a wonderful opportunity for some artists who don't have the time or finances to have themselves or their work available in Tucson, and I'd send my beads to you in a heartbeat if my current life circumstances allowed for it.

If you are even considering this, call or email Cindy & talk to her about it. This would be a phenomenal opportunity for anyone who ready to do this show but unable to for financial or time reasons.

Good Luck, Cindy!!

Schermo

Old 2008-01-01, 11:56am
Martyrs don't bitch.

Thanks Shermo I wasn't sure how it worked. I appreciate you taking the time to write all that out. It does sound like a good opportunity that I'm seriously considering.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-01-01, 1:08pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

I will vouch for Cindy also.....she is very professional and has high standards for her display.

I'd participate if there was any chance of my having enough extra stock!
Old 2008-01-01, 1:57pm

Thanks Schermo and Carolyn (or Chuck) for the words of confidence. To address your concern Schermo, yes if there is enough interest I will be jurying the artists interested. Not really a jury process but, more just checking the quality of the work and discussing experience and expectations of anyone interested. In the end, everything displayed will reflect upon me and my name in the industry, the last thing I want is to show second rate work. I already have a great base of return customers who expect the highest quality.

I agree with your statement Schermo,

"I think one of the biggest problems created by the massive influx of beadmakers in recent years is that many artists who are NOT ready to do a major show have come to show their wares in Tucson (and other national venues) and had a very bad experience, both financially & emotionally / artistically. In turn, it brings down the overall quality of what buyers can expect to see at a show like this, which is usually fairly experienced lampworkers offering unique, well finished, sophisticated wares."

I also know that there are many many artists who would never have the chance to show in Tucson and open up new markets for their work. Many of us are not full time lampworkers or have family or personal demands that won't allow us to travel from home for extended periods. Also the large expense of doing a Tucson show is a factor for most people. Tucson expences just to do a show, hotel, travel and food can often run, over $3,000 with no guarantee as to what sales will be.

I am not sure if this will get off the ground or not but, its an oportunity I CAN offer for this year IF the interest is there. I really would like to keep the costs below $500 per artist and to do so means 7 to so artists with 10 being the maximum I could handle.

For anyone not familiar with the show, read more about it. Whole Bead Show
Old 2008-01-01, 2:03pm

Cindy,
I would be interested. Please email me directly at louise@desertbloomdesigns.com.
Louise Little
www.desertbloomdesigns.com
Old 2008-01-01, 3:47pm

Great idea, but I don't think there's any way I could build up stock in time. Good luck to you and all artists joining you!

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-01-01, 5:16pm

People should do a satelite searth with a real time look at Interstate 10 running through Tucson.My Fall show last Sept was hurt by the eight mile construction of I-10. And people found it hard to just get to the Convention center downtown.This was during the Fall Tucson gem and mineral show with my show and also the Holidome and the Roadway. It will be way worse with the Feb shows.
All show promoters have been told for over a year about the three year construction project that is one of the biggest in Arizona's history.
Last Sept if you got on the freeway at the Benson Highway, you could not get off of the freeway for over eight miles. And it was one lane each way.
All the show promoters have known that the construction will hurt all shows downtown and those that you must cross downtown to get to.
I am not trying to rain on any one's parade. I would just not want to look someone in the eye and tell them that I did not think that it was important for them to know about the construction.
Cindy is working on doing something nice here. This may not be the best time to do it.
The director of the Metropolitan Tucson Convention and Visitors Bureau has said flat out that the downtown shows will be hurt by constructuion for the next three years.
Lewis C Wilson
Old 2008-01-01, 6:25pm

So is Lewis suggesting that you shouldn't do the Tucson shows until the construction is done? Wouldn't the city of Tucson exercise some brain power, which granted is in short supply in most city, state and federal governments, and know that they should not hurt their biggest source ( if not one of the biggest sources ) of revenue for the city's businesses? Hotels, motels, restaurants, stores and related gemshow businesses not to mention the amount of state and city sales taxes collected? It seems to me that several years ago the gem shows threatened to move the entire event to Las Vegas if the city couldn't get it together to assist these gem shows. In the blink of an eye, things were accomodated. Is that not going to happen now? Maybe the shows need to move from Tucson! Is Tucson and the surrounding county EVER GOING TO BE DONE WITH ROAD CONSTRUCTION? I have been experienceing it for 15 years! AARGH ... Lois

Old 2008-01-01, 6:39pm
Etched Metal Rocks...

I went to the Fall shows and knew about the construction...the Frontage roads alongside the highway are 3 lanes for quite a stretch...hopefully shows will publish modified route maps to encourage people to plan accordingly. Wish I had the inventory of jewelry, but I've already paid for two other shopping event shows (one in Feb)

Old 2008-01-01, 11:36pm
Type ZZZ personality

I might be interested. Could you email me?
patty <at> rusticstudio <dot> com
Thanks!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2008-01-02, 7:17am

For those who have asked me to contact them. I am waiting for the hotel to send me dimensions of the suite so I can nail down how many tables I can set up. So, I am not ignoring you, just getting a few details nailed down. I should be contacting everyone later today or early tomorrow.

So, far I have 4 people who seem to be very interested, still looking for 3 more at least.
Old 2008-01-02, 4:18pm
MacGalver

Hi Cindy~ I am interested in knowing more about this opportunity! Please PM me with more info. Thanks!

Jo
Old 2008-01-02, 4:44pm

The Tucson shows will go on no matter how much construction, etc. happens. It is just good for both buyers and exhibitors to be aware of the construction. A little heads up for everyone would go along ways. Will especially help those from out of town (which is at least 75% of those who come out for the shows).

It's not that difficult to avoid the contruction (using the frontage roads like mentioned), but if you accidentally get stuck on the freeway on the section where you can't get off, you WILL get very frustrated. I accidentally did this last September, wasted about half an hour altogether. I know that Metro Tucson Visitors and Convention bureau has a good deal of info on the I-10 construction on this page about the Gem shows: http://www.visittucson.org/visitor/events/gemshow/

I don't think the Tucson Show Guide has anything up right now on their website about the construction. Lots of people visit there for show info

Like I said, this is a good thing Cindy is trying. A lot more cost effective than having to handle all the expenses on your own, especially if it's your first time at the Tucson shows.

Lewis
Old 2008-01-02, 5:10pm
Heart Of Glass Beads

Cindy - I may be interested... I just have to figure out if I can get enough inventory made... pm me with more details when you get them.

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2008-01-02, 7:29pm

Hi Cindy,
I am also interested, and also am checking my inventory. Please keep me updated on what you come up with.
Thanks,
Lynn
lynnburgess@mac.com
Old 2008-01-02, 7:50pm

I believe I have all the details worked out and will be sending emails out this evening to everyone who has expressed interest.

Cheers!
Old 2008-01-02, 11:25pm
Obsessed Blogger

This sounds like a great idea! I already exhibit in Tucson at Lewis' show but would love to have a rep at other shows (like Bead&Button or BeadFest) and things like that.

I had a rep once (I think they show at Whole Bead) but I was so new that I was charging too little for my beads and didn't seem worthwhile...it was my own fault. Now I know better. Like Cindy said, make sure you price right for this everyone, or a wholesale sale could be like giving your work away and breaking even!

Good luck Cindy and let us know how it goes!

::
Old 2008-01-03, 1:37am

I will also vouch for Cindy. She is professional, her booth always is impecibly set up and her customers are very loyal.

This is a great idea Cindy and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Old 2008-01-03, 7:55am
Sorry for party rockin'

Thank you for the info Cindy . .. dang, if I had more leadtime I would certainly get involved.

Old 2008-01-03, 9:34am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Please let us know how this goes this year. If it's successful, I will definitely do it next year.