Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-12-19, 1:00pm
Kat the bat

Default where to get glass supplies

I am making a buy and i need all the possible help u can giveme...

Where are your favorites places to buy glass??? ( it has to be online or via phone)

I am planning to buy me some rods... i dont have any clue on the colors.. but i will start with soft glass... Thanks in advantage... PLS REPLY!!!

Kathy
Old 2005-12-19, 1:22pm
Spell check please

Hi Kathy
I like to buy my glass from Frantz Art Glass ( frantzartglass.com ) They are nice people and also have an 800 # to order by phone. You can get an assortment Effetre rod set to start with, that way you can try many colors and see what you like. Check them out.

Elaine
Old 2005-12-19, 2:37pm
I WISH I had that figure!

I have gotten glass from Wale - www.waleapparatus.com - good prices and FAST but only sell in 1/2 lb lots - not good if you want one rod of gold pink! - Arrow Springs - www.arrowsprings.com - prices about the same as wale, will send one rod, not as fast but do have some accessories (silver wire) that Wale doens't carry - on ebay with Galaxy Glass, Jo-del, Island glass - all have been fine and Monique at Jo-del is nice -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My eBay auctions:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-12-19, 6:21pm

I get mine from www.howacoglass.com JameyLynn is an absolute doll & I know she doens't mind shipping "out of country"
Oh & she does single rods by gram weight too, so if you want a rod of intense black, or rubino, or whatever, you can do that too! And NO HUGE PACKING FEES!! Shipping fees, but, not a huge "handling" added on for mystery materials
~lyn

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2005-12-19, 7:19pm
oxygen deprived

Half of mine is from Frantz, the other half from Jodel. I got mine from Frantz with our school's discount, and the stuff from Jodel when they were having a nice sale. I refuse to buy glass list price, especially since I buy 1/4 or 1/2 lb at a time!

Of course... that means you have to keep more on hand and wait for the mysterious sales to appear...
Old 2005-12-20, 6:48am
ManBearPig

I buy most all of my stuff from either www.lampworkingsupplies.com or www.generationsglass.com

Old 2005-12-20, 6:49am

lots of options
West Coast
Arrow, Frantz
In the East there are a few..........
Colored Sands, Generations, Mountain Glass, Flametree
Old 2005-12-20, 8:33am
Kat the bat

Thank you so much! its sure has been helful... i will check them out... i still need to see where to buy... i probably order fromtwo places only, because i dont want to pay huge duties on each place... ( outside us)

So guys, what would you think it would be best to get first??? i have in my list.. so far...

Black, ivory, white

LOL oh and clear... i want some blue... transparents... hmm pink, i wdefinately must have pink... i heard its expensive? whats the name of it???
Old 2005-12-21, 3:18am
oxygen deprived

When I started, I bought a tiny bit of most colors in the Moretti palette - and I'm happy I did! That way, when I would hear about something cool that a particular glass did, I would have a rod on hand to try it out. Then, I could buy more next time I made an order.

It's hard to know at first what colors you'll end up using a ton of - but I consider clear, ivory, and black my staples - and always order a lot more of those (especially clear!). Consider getting some Vetrofond clear for encasing, since Moretti clear has bad scummy problems.
Old 2005-12-21, 4:39pm

I agree with Alissa about having a little of most of the colors. When I started out I purchased a sample pack. It is a little more expensive than it is to buy it all seperately. (few dollars) But, well worth it. I also wait for sales..Cheapo..I have found the best prices at Arrow Springs and I have gotten some fantastic advice from them..Good luck.
Melissa

Old 2005-12-22, 7:43am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I get the bulk of my glass from Arrow Springs www.arrowsprings.com - they are fabulous to work with and always there to help. I also buy from Frantz and a variety of vendors in this forum.

Old 2005-12-22, 8:57am

i love getting bullseye glass from bridgetown glass!!!!!!! they are awsome and fast!!!!

Old 2005-12-23, 11:57am
It's time to sparkle

Here's a very helpful link for getting to know Moretti/Effetre colors:
http://www.chrisfisherart.com/Morett...ic%20Chart.htm

Old 2005-12-23, 2:15pm
Kat the bat

Thanks guys you totally rock!!!

So yeah... i am considering gettingthe sampl e packs of all colors at arrowsprings , but mretti, of course...

Well... now what else i need.. silver leaf??? or some foil that is not silve? does that even exist??? ls let me know
Old 2005-12-23, 3:38pm
oxygen deprived

I like silver foil not silver leaf - leaf is a PAIN IN THE BUTT - mine is constantly flying all over the place, tearing into odd pieces, getting stuck to my fingers...GRRRRRRR.

Silver foil, on the other hand, is great! Very easy to work with & cut with an exacto knife. I love mine - and use it constantly. Buy several packets - you'll use it up fast. And check out the threads where people talk about which colors are their favorite with silver.
Old 2005-12-25, 4:14pm
Kat the bat

Okay cool, silver foil then I will place my order on tuesday i thnk!!! i cant wait, lol
Old 2005-12-26, 9:41am
glass is sooo...me!

Am I the only one who does this? You guys were talking about silver leaf flying all over the place. I put my silver leaf from the book right on to the graphite pad. Then I cover it with an up-side-down cool whip top (or Chinese food plastic cover) Just make sure there is a lip so the cover does not touch the leaf. When I am ready to use it just uncover carefully...I usually have one sheet on my bench just waiting to be used.

Karen
Old 2005-12-26, 3:22pm
oxygen deprived

But how do you cut it without getting little pieces all stuck to your fingers and having little bits fly away, etc? I use an exacto knife and fold the paper back from the booklet to the width I want, and I've tried several other methods, all of which end disasterously. Argh!
Old 2005-12-27, 12:51am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I bought silver from Val Cox a while ago, and this stuff is The Best! It does NOT fly or stick to fingers at all!!! ( the gold does but that is whole other story....)

Old 2005-12-27, 8:58am

I'll second the votes for Lampworking Supplies/Colored Sands. Especially if you're ordering from the center to Eastern side of the country.

I have no clue about ordering and dealing with duties, etc.

Enjoy.
Old 2005-12-27, 9:27am

I buy glass from The Lauscha Lady out of Canada. I love the lauscha glass and also the great service from the owner Grace. I think her web site is lauschalady.com. Lauscha glass is also compatible with other Italian and german glass but not bullseye.
Old 2005-12-27, 9:45am
Fight glass with FIRE

If you want to take a look at the colors from Moretti we have taken a lot of pictures. www.morettiglasscanada.com

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2005-12-27, 10:30am
glass is sooo...me!

I don't cut the leaf by itself. I cut the paper and the foil together and then peel it back from the paper and onto the graphite pad. Then cover it with a lid.
Old 2005-12-28, 3:22pm
Dances With Fire

jo-del always runs awesome sales...I stock up when she does! My chapter of the Isgb just did a bulk buy from wale too that was awesome. maybe you could do a bulk buy with soem folks near you and get a break on pounds...that way you couold buy more glass and get more variety.

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2005-12-31, 7:54am
Kat the bat

THANKS!!! woo hoo i placed my orders.. but i havent gotten timeto post a thread...

I used morettiglasscanada.com... MEister´s company... and he is been REALLY REALLY HELPFUL!!! thanks a lot !!! I will let you know how everythign came up cant wait to play play play!!!

I also ordered from arrowsprings, tho it carried a mini CC highooxygen n that s what i wanted to get... ive order the sample assortments of pixie, glow in the dark ( CANT WAIT TO GET THIS ASWELL) lol and other assortments.. Alissa... silver LEAF was added aswell, hee hee

Well.. i am gonna post later on.. i shall get my package next year! lol

PS: Did i mention how horrible are shipping fees to s.america??? LOL

Luv ya all!!