Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-11-07, 8:30am
Ad astra per aspera

Default Best Way to Be Miserly With Silvered Glass?

Here's the deal...I've finally started to make headway with silvered glass. Whoopee! I have 1/4 lbs of a few colors (Pandora, Nebula, Taxco, a Triton odd, Supernova and a few rods of Olympia Rain). I'm not worried about messing around with them.

BUT, I have single rods (or less) of several R4 colors and a few others. I want to try them out but I don't want to waste anything, if possible. Can anyone suggest a few nearly foolproof base colors? I was thinking ivory but I sorta remember someone posting that ivory was a bad idea. How about transparent cobalt blue?

I was figuring that I'd pull stringers and experiment that way. I have all of the silver exchange books. I guess I'm just being lazy and hoping to find a short list of relatively foolproof base colors.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-11-07, 8:32am

Triton over black, YUM!

Triton over copper green, OMG YUM!!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-11-07, 8:49am
No Problem!

Dot beads on black, you can then reduce/strike, or top the dots with clear or top just a few with clear then reduce. Reducing first then topping with clear looks great with colors like psyche. A very miserly way to get a taste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-11-07, 1:46pm
Gay rights R human rights

or if you have yellow ice, it plays well

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-11-07, 3:25pm

I like to start all my TAG experiments with black and ivory. That's square one.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-11-07, 4:59pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
I like to start all my TAG experiments with black and ivory. That's square one.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Personally I haven't touched black myself in months and I seem to always use dark ivory under my silver dots.

Old 2008-11-07, 5:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Personally I haven't touched black myself in months and I seem to always use dark ivory under my silver dots.
...and they look damn fine, ma'am!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-11-07, 5:35pm
Ad astra per aspera

Thanks so much, everyone! I fooled around some today (12 beads) just mixing what I thought might look good. Tomorrow I'm going to play some more. My first weekend with NOTHING going on in months!!!

Old 2008-11-07, 5:46pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
...and they look damn fine, ma'am!
Why thank you!

Old 2008-11-07, 6:42pm
da General

I think I skipped square one! lol! I never use silver glass on black and hardly on ivory . . .

Love Opal Yellow, ASK Silver Rattan/Cinnamon, Straw Yellow, CIM Stoneground and the rich Effetre transparents!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-11-07, 7:30pm

Default Silver Color OVer Clear

I like the reactions the silver glasses have with black and ivory, but I also like the silver glass colors by themselves. I use them over clear to help stretch the rods a bit. When you reduce triton over a clear core, it is even more luminescent.

Old 2008-11-07, 8:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Love Opal Yellow, ASK Silver Rattan/Cinnamon, Straw Yellow
Ah. . .A girl after muh own heart! These are my three favorite base glasses for the reduction blues and striking browns.

Karen, one of my favorite Olympia Rain recipes used this combo: Pull a couple of thick OR stringers and set them to the side. Then make a small white bead, encased with a thin layer of Rubino. Take your OR stringers and wrap the bead, leaving some gaps in between the stringer. Melt the OR stringer into the glass, then encase the whole bead with clear. The OR will react to the gold that's in the rubino and it ends up looking a lot like boro. I love the colors that result from this combo because they range from pink, to sunset orange with pale green, purple and blue striations.
Aww. I wish they still made Olympia Rain.

Old 2008-11-08, 1:19am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonjewels View Post
I wish they still made Olympia Rain.
I found that Aion 2 looks and acts a lot like Olympia Rain.

Jack

Old 2008-11-08, 2:28am

Here Here I second Yellow Ice especially with terra!! And Bill's got it on sale right now, I snagged me a couple of pounds before it's all gone.
Old 2008-11-08, 10:14am
Ad astra per aspera

Yellow Ice is a Vetro color, right? I think I bought a 1/4 lb of it when it was introduced and never used much of it. Woot!

I did an inventory of all my 104 last week and found some Silver Cinnamon, too. Okay, I've gotta go (spur of the moment protest) so I can come back and play!

Old 2008-11-08, 10:32am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post
I found that Aion 2 looks and acts a lot like Olympia Rain.

Jack
I think it's NOTHING like OR and I use OR daily.

Old 2008-11-08, 11:00am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

crap... the one color I don't have to copy your beads Amy...

Old 2008-11-08, 11:06am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
crap... the one color I don't have to copy your beads Amy...

Old 2008-11-08, 3:49pm

twisties... thats what I do with a lot of my silver glass.. makes it stretch futher
Old 2008-11-09, 4:04pm
Formerly Deesigned Beads

I melt a small blob of glass (black/ivory/what ever) and dab a 2 dots of silver glass on it. Reduce and cover 1 dot with clear. I just prop the rod in my mandrel holder, and let it cool down. that way I have instant gratification and can see how the silver glass reacts with the base colour, how it shows up, etc. Then i play

Old 2008-11-10, 3:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonjewels View Post
Aww. I wish they still made Olympia Rain.
People tell me they get similar results from Zeus - that's a TAG color that looks completely transparent in the rod but changes dramatically over other colors. It's blue on black, turquoise on purple, and purple on orange. When I use Zeus over Rubino I get a peachy apricot color that does, in fact, look very boro-like. It's great over Red Roof Tile, too.