Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-23, 9:37pm
Hmmmm.....

Default Is this a good kiln for beadmaking?

I am looking to get started in lampworking and would like a good kiln. I know the picture isn't the best, but I am still hoping some of you will know if it's worth the money or not - $500.00, or is there another kiln better out there for around that price?
Thanks for anyones help!
Old 2009-07-24, 1:01am
picking Job's Tears

What picture (sorry I don't see one)? Do you have a name/make/model for it?

(No, Mike doesn't pay me for this, and I haven't turned my kiln on yet, but):
have a look at the Glasshive kilns (that's what Kalera recommended to me, and that's what I got).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-07-24, 3:54am
Striking-impared...

I have the one with a 2" bead door and I love it! Lots and lots of room for beads, and I can do PMC and fusing if I want. It's been very reliable for me. I think I paid $525 for mine.

Old 2009-07-24, 9:05am
Hmmmm.....

That's odd, I can see the picture. I did run across the glasshive on my search, they sounded awesome, I just don't know what I need, lol.
Here is a link to the other one http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...67&cat=&lpid=1 ......but if the ones at the glasshive are better, I would definitely go there instead.
Thanks for you help!
Old 2009-07-24, 11:15am
Striking-impared...

Glasshive kilns are great, for sure, and you should look into them. The only thing I didn't like about the one I had was the controller -- programming the Fuji was a real pain. But, if you don't change programs much, then it's OK.

Old 2009-07-24, 11:18am
In search of her path....

YES! i had the one on the left withthe bigger bead door. I loved it only reason i dont have it now is it pulls 15amps which was too much for the electric in my current home and didnt feel like re rnning half a dozen lines and breakers to fix problem. It was a great kiln for me I just sold it in february and had it over 6 years never a problem i liked it because I could fuse in it easily too and do a bit larger pieces.

If you are able to pick one up with the digital controller for $500 id get it thats a steal consider most places with shipping now they are closer to $700 But it is BIG once you put it up on the spacers it stands pretty tall and its pretty big around.

I have a glasshive now and love it just as much though.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-07-24, 11:25am
Formerly Sassygirl

I have that kiln and I just adore it!!!!!!!!!It's a true workhorse and no problems in 3 years.

Old 2009-07-24, 3:03pm
Hmmmm.....

Thanks so much for your help guys, it really makes me feel better about choosing one!
~Leslie